Trial Poll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

What is the best all time levergun?

Winchester
55%
Marlin
34%
Savage
5%
Other
7%

Total votes: 106
AmBraCol
Webservant

Trial Poll

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's a poll, just for grins...
Last edited by AmBraCol on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Volcanic. :twisted:

I can't even answer that poll within Winchester, much less between the lot. :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hey 3-2 so far the Marlins have it. :wink:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not not no more, it's even now.

Joe
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

There should have been a all of the above. I hate not being able to make up my mind. :?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

It's even again.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The best levergun of all time is the one you shoot the most.
The best levergun of all time is your most recent buy.
The best levergun of all time is the next one you buy.
The best levergun of all time is your buddies levergun.
Take yer pick there are all GREAT! :D :D :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I voted Winchester because it's the majority of what I have (Trappers) with only 3 full size Marlin levers;

I think the reason is that Winchesters produced more with the 16" barrels than Marlin and were more accessible and a lot less costly.

Anyway, they all do the same thing; put alot of lead where I aim em'.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I voted Winchester because I like the way they carry. I have had a Marlin 444 but didn't like the feel. I guess I'll stick with my 356BB pre crossbolt safety. Just my .02
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I had to vote Winchester b/c I have not had any experiance with any others, and I like the ones I shoot.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, Marlin guys. Don't let the Winnie winers win.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I voted for Winchester, because I really love old Winchesters. Now, I am not knocking Marlins or Savages, They have all made great guns. I have never been a great fan of the Savage 99 but I do own one 99EG made around 1952 in 300 Savage and it is a fine shooter with a slick action, but being lefthanded I have never been totally sold on that sliding safety on the lever, still yet it is a fine gun.

For some reason I have owned lots of Marlins, some were very good, with the exception of one M1894 44 mag that was a jammer. Some I wish I had kept. The one I miss the most was an older Marlin 444 carbine with an old Redfield receiver sight on it. I made one of my most memorable shots with it. I took a buck running flat out with it, at about 30 yards. It was tough shooting, and I missed the first 3 shots, and relized I was shooting high, so I held lower on the 4th shot and hit it in the top of the back, it did a nose dive and fliped in the air, while it was in the air I shot it again with my 5th shot and caught it in the belly with that round comming out in the same area in the top of back where the first one hit. Both 240 gr Remington factory loads blew up at that short range, but I will never forget the hole it left in that deer's back. At anyrate that hunt is burned in my memory forever.

But the Winchesters have somehow kept a better hold on me. I have several different model 94's and a Browning 1895 which is pretty much identical to the Winchester. And to me no leveraction feels better then a Pre-64 model 94 leveraction, with a close runner up being a Model 71.

But all of that aside, if the truth was known, IMHO the best leveraction ever made is the older steel framed Browning BLR in .308 win or 358 win.
For serious, take no prisoners hunting, the BLR with a 2x7 Leupold scope mounted in Refield Rings has been my go to gun for about 15 years now.
I have lost count of the deer and coyotes I have taken with it. And while I do experiement with lots of other guns, I always come back to this gun, for my serious hunting, when I want to be able to make the shot, under all conditions, from 300yds standing to a close range running shot, it's up to the task. But I still love spending a beautiful fall day, with an old iron sighted Winchester.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I like them all and own several Marlins but Winchester models are my favorites with 1892, 1894 and 1895 models represented in my accumulation. Still need a good 1886, 1873 and 1876 though.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like my Marlin Cowboy II but there's nothing like a nice warm M39.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Marlin, simple, easy to work on, comes in a stainless 45-70, carries just as well as the Winnie I traded off IMO, made in the US, still made in the US. still made.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I started lever-shooting with a BLR, and still like my first BLR the best. I almost voted for Savage.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

I voted for the savage, mostly to be different but also cause my uncle loved them even though he had a whole closet full of original winchesters in very good plus condition!
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The first leveraction that I shot was a 1894 Winchester 30-30, my first deer. The first one I bought was an 1892 Winchester 32-20, I have owned alot of Winchesters and did not shoot a Marlin until about 20 years ago.I am just partial to the Winchesters. Just have a feel to them in my hands.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Went with my last buy.. 300 Savage 99E.. I love that I can cycle the action by simply opening & closing my fingers while my thumb stays hooked over the wrist..Slick! & it shoots pointy bullets too!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Browning, no question. 8)
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Lastmohecken wrote: I voted for Winchester, because I really love old Winchesters. Now, I am not knocking Marlins or Savages, :::: But I still love spending a beautiful fall day, with an old iron sighted Winchester.
That's about it. :D
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
foureyedfloyd
Levergunner

Post by foureyedfloyd »

game keeper wrote:The best levergun of all time is the one you shoot the most.
The best levergun of all time is your most recent buy.
The best levergun of all time is the next one you buy.
The best levergun of all time is your buddies levergun.
Take yer pick there are all GREAT! :D :D :D
Amen! :wink:
Four Eyed Floyd