Nearly time to take a bow--OUT. Forum is changing. EDITED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

The fire is just fine...and I ride for the brand. I'm not going anywhere.

LeverBob
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Just don't ask me to hold your hand, and sing Kumbahyah :lol:
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree that it's been a long winter (it's not over yet) and people are getting wound tighter by the day. It's starting to melt here and fast. It really makes me feel good, like spring is right around the corner.

I'd hate to see anyone leave just because we're going through a short spell of seasonal disorder. This is only one of about three forums I visit regularly and I don't see me leaving any time soon.
Old Law Dawg
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I really like the forum too, but am also fed up with negativity. Why do people post OT things that pee them off, knowing full well the post will pee off others also? We all know the majority of folks here hate Hillary (or anti gun people, global warming believers, etc) why post yet another post raging about topics that others (usually the same folks) will jump in on to re-hate it again? I don't see the point. If you hate something or someone that's your right, why keep posting it over and over and over? To raise your post count? Hobie, just give everyone 10,000 post counts or stop counting entirely and we'd get rid of a lot of this and maybe stop or slow down the negative wagon. I see people hating one day, or raging against minorities or someone, and praying for someone and quoting the bible the next, covering themselves with being Christian. Doesn't make sense.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Your self-esteem got you down?

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

First, I think this is a great Internet Forum, where much information is available for all of us to learn and share, teach, and generally enjoy the experiences of the shooting hobby and the world in which we all live and circulate.

I have several hobbies that are each really important to me: shooting, drinking single malt Scotch whisky, and “Oâ€
Last edited by ursavus.elemensis on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hang in there friend ! :wink:
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Shoot fellers (pun intented!), just don't open threads you aren't interested in or are afraid it might 'make you shoot off'!!!

I tend to open perhaps 1/10th or less of the threads, usually only stuff that is levergun related in the caption. If I miss out on something that is pretty neat, I reckon it'll get touched upon later :P I rarely open off thread stuff, rarely polical stuff either. That way I can just focus on what this place is all about, leverguns.

I've belonged to Levergun since not long after the original opened. I'll admit, I tend to post less and less, because of the slight lack of tight nitness probably, but feel I *know* most everyone here. We 'probably' aren't as closely a nit group as the original Leverguns, but this is what we have.

I sometimes take weeks or even months off, but always come back because this is LEVERGUNS.COM.

I love this place. :D :D :D :D

Jeff

ps, the only REAL Levergun out there is a .44................ :twisted: :twisted:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

This reminds me of an old saying:
"Everybody's normal...until you get to know them."

In other words, when people first meet they are usually showing their best sides. However, eventually you see the "not so good" side.

It's easy to love people when they behave. True brotherly love comes when you can still love them when they are acting like ***holes.

And, I feel loved here. :wink:

Humbly,
bogie
redeux
Levergunner

ok , this is not news to me ...

Post by redeux »

i just quit one of the biggest forums on the net because liberal trolls and some i'vegotmypantiesinawad types had taken over...
over 50k+ members and i left after almost 10 years there...

now its a question of 'do we have trolls here' or is it a season of discontent ?

having not had the chance to peruse all the old posts i couldn't say...

i would say give it a go for a bit , springs about halfway here and granted theres a lot we could gripe about , but , i'm not bailing until i see mccain trolling here for votes...
hang in there...
Last edited by redeux on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
North Bender
Levergunner

Post by North Bender »

"This IS a leverguns site, but if the ONLY posts were strictly about leverguns, and never touched on the political, historic, social, or other aspects that may be 'controversial' there would not be many posts."

Pretty much what I feel. Many forums have spilt the John Birch Society and co-cummunicating Communists into a separate political forum where they can scream at each other. Why doesn't this site?

Guns are great subjects, and especially leverguns. Why spoil it with the wierd posts of one or two members.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Heard a song once, had a line in it that sounded something like....."every rose has a thorn"...

Guess it kinda said that maybe we gotta assume there might be pits in that there cherry. But we all still like the cherry.

Ya'll gotta understand that I tolerate all your opinions....no matter how wrong they are!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Gee, lets see here.....

We could have a "waiting period" to receive membership :shock:

Maybe a "background check" would be in order :shock:

We could "register" people who want to be members :shock:

I think if we instituted some "membership control" things would get better :shock:

America used to be free till people complained for the govt. to control things
they didn't agree with.

Then they get angry when someone else wants the govt. to control something
they think they should be free to enjoy without control.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE FREEDOM OF SPEECH, STICK A PIN IN YOUR EAR.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW I LOOK, STOP STARING.

I just think it's human nature to try to control what others do.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Hey Jeeps, old buddy,

I don't recall asking for any controls. Perhaps I did suggest a bit of self-control in order to hold others in higher than negative regard. Yeah, I might have alluded to that. Yeah, definitely maybe.

So, if you are aiming your comments at me for my thoughts, you are not aiming at the correct target.
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

By
Come again :D
Dave
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

All the opinions expressed have been great so far. Even if they didnt agree with mine! Just glad to see everyone speaking their mind without bashing those that may not agree.

As Roy and Dale always said. HAPPY TRAILS!!!

If your a new member WELCOME ABOARD!
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

We discuss most anything here...politely.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others with the intention of helping the reader, rather than creating an oppositional attitude.

This is what I strive for (miserably). Giving a poster the benifit of the doubt, for unclear or misinterpretated posts will burn some out, as sometimes dealing face to face with people does. Avoid "controversial" OT's, take a break, give thanks we do have a forum to discuss and even disagree. Don't give up on people, they have a knack of surprising you, even for good sometimes! I do appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with y'all and definatly appreciate the lever wisdom/knowledge given freely by all posters, you are Patriots in this way bolstering our 2nd Ammendment. Lets say if/when things go south and I still have an internet connection I'll be tuning into Lever-Guns Community .Com or maybe Lever Guns on the short wave radio!

Junior/newbie/wet-behind-the-ears/what have you/fellow American lever gunner Bunkloco...Laugh, cry, or throw a fit....or just recharge your batteries. :wink:

Loved this one! :lol: Jeeps wrote:
Gee, lets see here.....

We could have a "waiting period" to receive membership

Maybe a "background check" would be in order

We could "register" people who want to be members

I think if we instituted some "membership control" things would get better

America used to be free till people complained for the govt. to control things
they didn't agree with.

Then they get angry when someone else wants the govt. to control something
they think they should be free to enjoy without control.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE FREEDOM OF SPEECH, STICK A PIN IN YOUR EAR.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW I LOOK, STOP STARING.
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

jazman wrote: . . . Why do people post OT things that pee them off, knowing full well the post will pee off others also?

Some folks use message boards to "vent" when they feel the infrequent need to do so. Rough day, problems at home, aging parent health issues, whatever. These folks feel among friends at message boards and feel free to vent among sympathetic ears.

Others use boards to "get their message out," making repetitive posts ad nauseum

I tend to lend an ear (eye) to the former and ignore the latter.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gentlemen,

We changed some things here and I've been trying to keep up. I'm not spending the time here I used to (some have noticed) as other responsibilities intrude. If, in this, I've let you down, I apologize. However, I have to agree with Don that there are myriad circumstances which have influenced those posting here. For those of you who feel pressure from those things, take a deep breath and relax. You are among friends. You should presume that every comment is made in your interest and not as an attack.

Some very few, and I know which ones, seem to think that the forum is like some other forums on which they've posted. It is not. In as much as I can I won't allow it to be a home for rude, thoughtless, or bullying people. We've proven that we've got a great group of people here who strongly believe in the American ideals, who have stepped up time and again to help out fellow forum members they don't even know. That includes our departed members who have left due to time constraints (like Doc Hudson) or because they've been attacked (rather than reasoned with) like Junior.

I get (and I hope respond to all) email from many of the members here. I know that we have a wide range of folks from young to old, of various races, religions, or other backgrounds. Even when they disagreed with me or felt I should do something I wasn't doing, they were polite or they apologized later for any impolitness. I would be happy to meet anyone here and those I have met are great people. I don't think a single one wants to do anything but the very best for his/her family, neighbors and community at large.

If I may make a few suggestions...

- When you talk politics, talk about those issues that pertain to the board. Leave the parties out of it and concentrate on the issue and the arguments pro or con on policy.
- Don't allow yourself to resort to name calling.
- If you can't quite articulate why you feel as you do, say you can't. It is like the old poem
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.
Sometimes intuitive reasoning is a point for discussion.
- Don't say anything you wouldn't say to your parents (or perhaps anything I wouldn't say to my parents).

I'd like you all to stay. I hope you will.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Well said, Hobie. Thanks!
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I'm with Jeeps on the "if you don't like it, don't read it". Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

Been my experience that sooner or later the negatories end up going somewhere else once the flash is over and people quit responding to their theatrics.

I too think that all intelligent opinions have some merit. I must have missed something somewhere because I DO miss Junior's comments on a lot of the OT matters, and now I'm thinking that stupidly I haven't noticed that he hasn't posted in awhile. He frequently went against the general grain, but still managed to make me think seriously about a number of issues. I often applauded his audacity in the face of overwhelming odds. Not my side of the political party, but still an intelligent guy with an opinion and many other good points.

Take a break guys, give this some consideration, and just lurk for awhile if you want. Don't mentally burn any bridges. Anytime I've ever done that, somehow I've always ended up sorry for it.
de k8bor

Dave
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's my observation that opinions or comments that many people consider to be negative are just those that express a different or opposing point of view. I will further observe that many posts that some observe to be confrontational or controversial are of the same nature.

I don't see the point in getting nasty and calling people names over general-purpose everyday life issues. Neither do I see the profit in getting worked up or stressed out for a simple issue of disagreement, political, religious, hobby-related or otherwise.

I don't mind telling someone that I disagree with their post, neither do I mind them saying as much when I've offered an unpopular opinion or stated something that I thought was funny at the time and then had someone disagree.

Everyone likes to have fun. We also have our serious moments. Sometimes we get carried away.

I've long ago come to accept that not everyone sees the world the way I do.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

I'm afraid I agree with LeverBar.
This place HAS changed. And, from my point of view, not for the better.
Now some may think it HAS changed for the better. That's fine. No one says we all have to agree.
All I know is when I first came here a couple years back, it was a different kinda place. Now, seem like nearly half the posts are OT, and durn near everyone is hollerin about something.
Members that have been here a lot longer than me are leaving, that oughta say something right there.
So am I leaving?, Nah, got the page bookmarked, just won't be by as often.
(And I 'spect some folks will be happy about that)
So why the rant? Not so much a rant as a lament.
I kinda miss the old place, that's all.
Y'all take care
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

I too miss the old forum.
There was a genuine dignified 'feel' to everything about it.
Din' bother me what was posted, OT or not because the posts and replies always had that special sense of respect. I can't point to what it is exactly, but it aint the same here.
However I am grateful to Hobie, Jim, AmBraCol and everyone else who still work together to give us what we do have.
I often think of an old song about, when storms come, the trees that survive are the ones that are "strong enough to bend"
I sure hope we don't lose any of our good people to this storm.
slabsides
Levergunner

Post by slabsides »

I generally don't respond to negative postings or threads. But this is an exception. I don't see the deterioration in the site that others seem to see. I've been reading here for a long time...original site and now this one, although my posting history doesn't seem to indicate a veteran member of the board. I see some pretty knowledgeable guys posting here. If now and then someone lets go with a rant...I just close it and forget it. If someone voices an opinion or an attitude or belief that I don't share, I let it and leave it. Most disagreements on forums come about by people trying to change other's closely held views. It's a waste of time and bandwidth. I enjoy reading about hunting successes, seeing how folks have gussied up their guns, and learning NEW stuff...there's always that. Everything else, I pass on by and favor with no response. Live and let live means something to me, and that includes letting folks with whom I don't agree have their opinions without my opposition. That seems to me the essence of charity, and the cornerstone of good manners. If and when a site becomes so contaminated with rancorous and impolite discourse that I find it hard to select desirable posts, I move on. If that day ever comes here, I won't stand up and announce my departure, as though anyone really cared. That day hasn't come yet. Levergunner is still a good site, with lots of REAL, non-ramboesqe posters. Worthy of my patronage, at least. 'Nuff said.
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Only thing wrong with this forum is the members are people.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

LeverBar wrote:Hey Jeeps, old buddy,

I don't recall asking for any controls. Perhaps I did suggest a bit of self-control in order to hold others in higher than negative regard. Yeah, I might have alluded to that. Yeah, definitely maybe.

So, if you are aiming your comments at me for my thoughts, you are not aiming at the correct target.
No Sir LeverBar, nothing negative. To be honest there is nothing wrong with
the way you felt at the start of this thread, although easily fixed, hence my
first posting on page two I believe.

I have a problem that when I answer a topic on the second page or after I am
looking at the ebb and flow of the discussion and pick either + or - part to
make an emotional statement. Sometimes I actually wonder how many
peoples feeling I might have hurt by answering general thoughts I am
picking up.

To be honest, these type posts always make me feel uneasy for the most
part cuz I wonder if it's people like me who are bringing this forum down
in peoples eyes.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Well I arrived late on this thread and most of what I would want to say has aleady been said. I have been involved with some of you from the old Marln Talk days and have learned alot of stuff from the contributors here. Y'all have cost me alot of money as the result of realizing that I needed a new lever gun that I previously never gave much thought to. LOL! Yeah, there are more OTs these days and some grumpiness and that is often seasonal, but I have also enjoyed getting to know some of you as real people, sharing in everything from your health concerns, family joys and sadness, and favorite recipes for food and cartridge. I have enjoyed the pictures of where you live and hunt. This caused me to want to learn how to post my own pictures. I would suggest that this thread indicates the concern that most of us have for the others on the forum and for the continued well being of the forum itself. I, like many others have said, don't read everything and reply to even fewer if I have nothing to contribute. I confess that, on occassion, I have replied in a negative way to a topic, never with the intent of putting anyone else down, just to express a different opinion. It is the interest in leverguns and probably the love of the period of history when the lever gun was the best thing afield that brought us together, but respect and appreciation for each other's differences will keep us together.
Zack
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

It has changed and I find myself visiting far less frequently. I miss some of the old fellas too like Junior and Doc Hudson...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bruce Scott wrote:It has changed and I find myself visiting far less frequently. I miss some of the old fellas too like Junior and Doc Hudson...
Ummm..... Some of the old guard did NOT show Junior much mercy... no matter how you spin it. I hope someone can confirm he is well.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"This IS a leverguns site, but if the ONLY posts were strictly about leverguns, and never touched on the political, historic, social, or other aspects that may be 'controversial' there would not be many posts."

And that would be a bad thing... how?

The internet is loaded with all sorts of forums. I don't see why people feel the need to move in and make it their home.. "their EVERYTHING forum". If I have camera question, I ask them on a photography forum. Computer questions get asked on a computer forum. Automotive, archery, fishing. etc. etc....
Slow is just slow.