Federal AE 45 Colt Test Run

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Federal AE 45 Colt Test Run

Post by CBinNH »

OK, I asked last week if anyone had given it a try & got a few suggestions to give it a try. I ordered 3 boxes from SGAmmo. With shipping it ended up being around $37 a box. Not much more than cowboy loads at the LGS's. I did a quick test this morning between raindrops. I did not set-up for chrono data. I used my Marlin CB Ltd 24" with the factory buckhorn rear sight I picked up a month ago & a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with a Nikon 2X scope I got yesterday. The range was 25 yards. I sat on a picnic bench & used my shooting bag as a rest. A pic of the ammo:
The launch pads:
The Marlin target 5 rds:
The Ruger target 5 rds:
These are representative of the average groups I was getting. I am pretty sure I could do better with an aperture sight or scope on the Marlin. I am pleased with the Ruger group. These are the first shots I have fired in it. It is about as good as I have done with a handgun. Overall, I think it is a decent alternative if I am too lazy to reload. It left a few powder zombies in the casings, barrels, & chambers. The Marlin cases showed some soot, but I see this with other mild loads too.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Federal AE 45 Colt Test Run

Post by J Miller »

Not bad. Not bad at all. The interesting thing is, what will the Marlin do at 100 yds with that ammo?

Looks like good stuff to me. And as a bonus you've got a 150 really good cases to use for your own loads now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

CBinNH, looks like the Marlin's doing okay and like the professor said, what's it like a 100 yds? I take it the Ruger Hunter is in 45 Colt too, but your posted pic for it has got to be a 22. Was that a test?
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Kimcook,
The Ruger is a 45 Colt. The box I used for a target is a brick (500) box.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the Info.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kimwcook wrote:CBinNH, looks like the Marlin's doing okay and like the professor said, what's it like a 100 yds? I take it the Ruger Hunter is in 45 Colt too, but your posted pic for it has got to be a 22. Was that a test?
I did a double-take, too . . . but the box is a 500-round box, not a 50-round one...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Nice guns and excellent shooting!