Gun Transport

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Gun Transport

Post by GonnePhishin »

We're going to be moving real soon and I wanted to know if putting cable locks through my goodies and keeping them unloaded and out of the passenger area (so they aren't accessable) is good enough to transport cross country? Or do they also have to be in locked cases as well?
Any suggestions/information would be helpful fellas.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Re: Gun Transport

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Depends on the states you might be traveling through, as well as certain cities. In probably 90+ percent of the country, traveling from one home to another, with your weapons secured (unloaded, locked, and out of reach) will be more than fine. However, I have heard some horror stories about states like NJ, or cities like NYC or Chicago.

Best advice is to do what you are planning to do, and then drive very carefully to avoid being pulled over for any reason.

Good luck!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks Ysabel. Yes I will not be speeding!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Illinois is gun-owners-hell, as well. They'll do anything they can to confiscate whatever firearms you have, regardless of where and how they're stored.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yep - keep any gun stuff out of sight, for sure, and
avoid the real bad areas like NJ, NYC, and Chicago.

I hear the fine for hollowpoint possession in NJ is
$1,000 a round. One Federal bulk pack of 22 and
I'd be bankrupted several times over!!!!

Good Luck on yer move. Hope all goes well.

-Stretch
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Something nobodies specifically mentioned so far, the guns need to be "cased" in many states, and by the terms of the national act (Firearm owners protection act?) that allows transport thru various states, so long as you are through-transiting the state. A case can be a hard case, a soft zippered case, or a sleeve with a tie string, so far as I understand it. I don't believe the cases are required to be locked in most instances, or by the terms of the national act, just in a "gun case" to be legal.

I've headed back to the midwest before, and realized I didnt have mine cased, so had to stop and buy some cheap (nasty torn up) cases from a pawn shop for too much money.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks Malamute for the additional information.

3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Google "firearms transportation nonresident interstate" you will find links to may State's, State Patrol websites and listings of "how to" on firearm transport. I have also called the offices of several State Patrols in various states and have had very good luck and good constructive conversations with many Patrol Persons. I even had a Sargent at the State Headquarters from one of the more "notorious" gun restrictive states give me his full name and direct phone # as well as citations to print out and carry with me while I travel. He said if stopped and challenged about my "proper procedures" give the patrol his name and number and he will get involved on my behalf. (as long as I was in compliance with the rules) 18 USC 926a gives protection. I know some States only look on this as a "defense" after arrest but is worth a discussion with each states Patrol as to how they are trained to interpret and enforce.

My 2 cents, YMMV.
regards

3T
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Malamute wrote:Something nobodies specifically mentioned so far, the guns need to be "cased" in many states, and by the terms of the national act (Firearm owners protection act?) that allows transport thru various states, so long as you are through-transiting the state. A case can be a hard case, a soft zippered case, or a sleeve with a tie string, so far as I understand it. I don't believe the cases are required to be locked in most instances, or by the terms of the national act, just in a "gun case" to be legal.

I've headed back to the midwest before, and realized I didnt have mine cased, so had to stop and buy some cheap (nasty torn up) cases from a pawn shop for too much money.
The Firearms Owners Protection Act (a.k.a., the "Volkmer/McClure" bill) does indeed offer gun owners protection for traveling through states/localities when transporting firearms that are stored in certain conditions. I hadn't though about "cased", but would add that to the plan (again, stored unloaded, separated from ammunition, and out of reach). I'd hate to have to try to use that after the fact though. I may be right, and may win, but it is going to cost a bloody fortune in court and the guns would be long gone. I like the additional plan of simply avoiding - like the plague - anti-gun states and cities. Heck, it is worth the drive to go around them, and why would you want to spend a thin-red dime in such an area anyway? I don't, if I can avoid it. No point supporting any state/locality that does not support my rights, and tax revenues do support them. Hurts the local businesses, but hopefully they will get the hint (if you tell them) and put pressure on their own idiotic legislators.
Olevern
Levergunner

Post by Olevern »

If the guns are legally yours, and are legal to own and possess in the state you are going to, you are covered under the firearms owners protection act in transiting other states, providing your firearms are locked in an area not accessable by occupants of vehicle (trunk) or, in the case of a van or other vehicle without a trunk, locked in containers (not the glove compartment).
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this assumes that you allow the police to search your vehicle. the answer should be a polite NO. And then, "am I under arrest"?

because they cannot legally search your car without probable cause and they have to arrest you if you deny them a fishing expedition.

All locked boxes, cases, bags, etc. are private and need a seperate warrant with some kind of realistic probable cause to be searched. I carry guns in tool boxes or small non-gun safes. Under blankets. Inside other closed containers. Nothing to see in there Officer, are you detaining me?

Why would you expect the police would be looking thru your stuff?

curious,
Grizz
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote:this assumes that you allow the police to search your vehicle. the answer should be a polite NO. And then, "am I under arrest"?

because they cannot legally search your car without probable cause and they have to arrest you if you deny them a fishing expedition.

All locked boxes, cases, bags, etc. are private and need a seperate warrant with some kind of realistic probable cause to be searched. I carry guns in tool boxes or small non-gun safes. Under blankets. Inside other closed containers. Nothing to see in there Officer, are you detaining me?

Why would you expect the police would be looking thru your stuff?

curious,
Grizz
THATS the way to handle it. :D Good one Grizz. :D N.J., Md, and NY do not honor the Federal law so I just stay the heck out of there. Any other state I just keep 'em out of reach and dare not to break any driving laws. I still keep a 642 'Smith under my right leg because I refuse to be a government statistic concerning polite people being killed by a local piece of s**t.-----------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

In my van, behind the petition separating the cab from the cargo area (was a cage, now panelled) there is a simple, enclosed platform "bed" with a sleeping pad and if recently used, a sleeping bag and pillow. In/under the bed may or may not be any sort of thing...... Out of reach of the driver and concealed. No NRA stickers or "Terrorist hunting licenses" to allow trumped up probable cause either. If aboard, my gun leather is in a zippered duffel...... Nothin to see here.....
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Adirondakjack, brought up a good point. Even though I'am an LEO and a NRA lifemember I don't put any stickers suggesting that fact on my vehicles. To me it's an advertisement to get my vehicle prowled. I remember what my Sensei told me. He said you don't advertise you practice the martial arts because they'll just shoot you.
Old Law Dawg
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Real easy...unloaded and out of reach.............Don't forget, millions of guns are transported by regular freight companies every day. These trucks carrying all kinds of goods traverse Chicago, NYC and other communist peoples republics all the time. The drivers of these truck do not have or need special licenses. The firearms are not locked or cased in any special way. Simply being shipped from one place to another. No bog deal..........
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Food for thought. For about 30 years, my ole man drove around with either a nasty old flannel shirt or equally grubby canvas jacket on the seat of the car next to him. He'd leave the car unlocked all the time (keys usually under the mat, as he hated a ball of keys in his pocket), windows down in the summer, and NOBODY ever took his flannel shirt or jacket, nor discovered the loaded model 29 under it. Dunno if I'd advise same, especially if there was any danger at all a kid might get into the car and find the gun, but the point is, "elaborate" security is almost like an armored car, it attacts trouble because of the expectation of valuable goods inside. Sometimes "functional" security is as simple as a ragged old flannel shirt.
Certified gun nut