Browning 95 30-06 Chamber Throat?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Browning 95 30-06 Chamber Throat?

Post by Mainehunter »

Just picked up my Fathers Day present a Browning 1895 30-06. The original owner had it in his gun safe for nearly 15 years just shot a few rounds. It's in pristine condition and couldn't pass up the price he was asking for it. Question I have is I did a search and have read about short chamber throats in these rifles. I have plenty of 173grn. Beartooth bullets and some Lyman 210grn. at my disposal. Just curious to know if they will chamber with no problem :?:

Thanks,
Mainehunter :wink:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 95 30-06 Chamber Throat?

Post by BigSky56 »

Dont know about the 95 but brwnings 71's in 348 has a short throat my 250 beartooth HC bullets get into the rifling when seated to the crimp ring you will have to trial & error a case and each bullet to see. danny
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

I shoot Hornady 180grn round nose and 170 grn power points in mine with no problem. I have chambered a dummy cartridge with the Hornady 220grn round nose but have not fired any live ammo. These were all seated to the crip ring so were a pretty standard OAL from the Lyman 48 manual.
regards

3T
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My favorite load for my 95 Browning is the Winchester factory 220gr Slivertip, and I have never had any problems with that load in my 95.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know of only one way to know for certain. You have all the components including the rifle, do they chamber? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Hobie wrote:I know of only one way to know for certain. You have all the components including the rifle, do they chamber? :wink:
If you mean brass, bullets, dies etc.etc.. Yes I do. I load for my Mauser 98 in 30-06 and it turns out it does have short throats as well. It will not chamber the 173grn. Beartooth bullets unless I seat them a little deeper. I have heard of a trick and correct if I'm wrong is to take an empty case and split it from the case mouth down to the shoulder. Place the bullet in the split case, load the dummy round and chamber it. Pull the round out and measure. That measurement represents max COL basically the bullet hitting the lands and should back off .003 give or take. I haven't tried it, I could but don't know if it's the proper way of measuring out COL particularly using cast bullets that are not listed in any reloading manuals such as the Beartooth bullets.

3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

couple of things that I've done in the past. Not saying that this is the best way to do it.

size a case and insert the bullet, crimp with slight tension, bullet needs to be able to slide down into the case with moderate force. mark the point on the bullet with a marker at the point that the rim of the case meets the bullet. chamber the round (this is all done with no primer and no powder of course) slowly eject the round and check to see if the bullet has been forced back into the case.

work up the same dummy round with a bit more crimp and chamber the round, eject and check for land markes on the tip or side of the bullet. some very light land marks may or may not be a problem depending on the type of loads you are wanting. In a hunting round and the 30-06 I would personally want a little bit of space for the bullet to jump to the lands, not much but a bit. not like a BR rifle and load.
regards

3T
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My point is that even in guns of the same make in the same production run there are variations. You have to try your gun with the bullet in question to KNOW.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Hobie wrote:My point is that even in guns of the same make in the same production run there are variations. You have to try your gun with the bullet in question to KNOW.

I understand what your saying. I was just curious if anybody here ran into any issues so they can lead me into the right direction with out doing allot of guess work. Just call me lazy :roll: