OT: Metric quantity measurements

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Metric quantity measurements

Post by J Miller »

OK, first off I am not metricized, I still think in inches and ounces.

I've been pricing LOCTITE Black Max at several places and each gives a different size for the product. Or, at least I think they are different sizes, they're listed in metric .... duh.

Here are the measurements:

.10 FL (3ML)
3 GM
3 G

Which is the larger amount?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Metric quantity measurements

Post by jnyork »

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

To compare 3 ml to 3 grams, you need to know the density of the product. 1 ml of water = 1 gram. So if the density is less than water then 3 ml is less than 3 grams. If the density is more than water the opposite is true. Check the MSDS sheet. The density is listed (usually).
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I guess I 'm stupid or something. I've got three metric measurements and I have no idea which is bigger. The site wanted me to convert inches ounces to metric and visa versa. I don't want to convert anything just find out which is bigger.

Duh ...

pdentrem,
Don't have the MSDS sheet. Just the info on the sites selling the product.

Now I'm even more confused. I hate metrics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

The density of Black Max is 1.1. It is slightly heavier than water. Therefore 3 ml weighs 3.3 grams. Liquid measure is more than 3 grams in this case.

BTW ml = cc. Just to confuse the mind :?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pdentrem wrote:The density of Black Max is 1.1. It is slightly heavier than water. Therefore 3 ml weighs 3.3 grams. Liquid measure is more than 3 grams in this case.

BTW ml = cc. Just to confuse the mind :?
Confuse the mind = no kidding!
So then if I read what you printed above, all three will measure out the same or close to it regardless of how they are worded?

Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

1cc = 1ml at 4.0000 degrees celsius. At any any other temperature it is not quite accurate. Especially with liquids such as alcohol which expands faster than water, and ml or milliliters is a measurement which takes into account the expansion or contraction. cc or cubic centimeter does not. At room temperature of approximately 77 degrees Fahrenheit, a cc is smaller than a ml by enough that in any amoung of 16 ounces or more, it is noticeable to the naked eye. The reason Doctors use cc instead of ml is that years ago when the American Doctors looked up to the English Doctors as the best in the world, the English Doctors were forced to go metric. As a protest, they stated that they could be forced onto the metric system, but that they would never use it right. The American Doctors followed the protest without ever knowing why. The American Doctors might have been right to look up to the English Doctors. After all, the only Doctor to ever be proven to have a 300% mortality rate on a surgery was English. :shock:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Point taken on the cc to ml under precise lab controlled conditions.
To the average person it makes no real difference. In science, sure it does, but in the real world where temperature, humidity, gravity, light exposure, radiation etc is uncontrolled, no.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I suspect they are are the same but some are quoted by weight and some by volume. It seems unreasonable that the manufacturer would make up a different filling for so minor a possible difference.

Which is greater .375 inch, 3/8 inch, 12/32 inch? Just different ways of expressing the same item.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

About all that I can tell you, lengthwise, is that 1cm= 2.2", and 1 meter= 39.37"; fastenerwise, 8mm=5/16", 19mm= 3/4", and 13mm is very close to 1/2" (from my automotive "technician" days!); weightwise, 1 kilogram is roughly 2.2lbs.. :D

...but, your "3G" should be exactly the same as your "3GM", both sets of letters being abreviations for "gram". "3ML", as stated, should be very, very similar to 3cubic centimeters (cc):

The top Google result shows that:

".1 US fluid ounces = 2.95735296 milliliters"

...and:

".1 US fluid ounces = 2.95735296 cc"

...so, in your initial query, you are trying to convert weight (grams) to volume (fluid ounces and/ or mililiters). I suppose that you would have know your moles, in order to do that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

"The mole is defined as the amount of substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12 g of the isotope carbon-12 (12C).[1] Thus, by definition, one mole of pure 12C has a mass of exactly 12 g. The number of entities in one mole is called Avogadro's number. Its value, as adopted by CODATA in 2006, is 6.02214179(30)×1023
.[6] Recent measurements give the value 6.02214078(18)×1023.[7]

By this definition, a mole of any pure substance has a mass in grams exactly equal to that substance's molecular or atomic mass in amu; e.g., 1mol of calcium-40 has an approximate mass of 40g, because the Ca-40 isotope has a mass of 39.9625906 amu on the C-12 scale. In other words, the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass—the mass per amount of substance—in grams/mole.

The most common method of determining the amount, expressed in moles, of pure substance the value of whose molar mass is known, is to measure its mass (expressed in g) and then to divide by its molar mass (expressed in g/mol).[8] Molar masses may be easily calculated from tabulated values of atomic weights and the molar mass constant (which has a convenient defined value of 1 g/mol). Other methods include the use of the molar volume or the measurement of electric charge.[8]
"

Seriously, Joe, 3 grams = 0.105821886 ounces (weight, not fluid ounces), so 3GM is a very small amount (just over one-tenth of an ounce), unless you are weighing a volume of hydrogen :idea: :!: .

My standard-size, common tube of BLUE Loc-Tite is .20 fluid ounces & it is also labeled "6ml". :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just be sure not ever to confuse "Grn" and "Gm" - sometimes "Grn" is used instead of writing out grains, alghough in some applications like reloading it is justifiably the default standard. It is also possible to confuse hand printed words "grains" and "grams" if not written carefully, so just writing out the relatively short word doesn't necessarily solve the potential issue.

Overall, the metric system is so much nicer because all the conversion calculations are just a matter of shifting decimal places, and it takes about ten minutes to look at and handle beakers or other items and get a good feel for about what size things are. Once you can visualize 1 ml (sugar cube), you know what 1 cm is, since the sides are one cm, which is what makes it a cubic centimeter as well as a milliliter.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

10 dimes = $1
100 cents = $1
1000 mills = $1

Now you know everything there is to know about the metric system, deci-, centi-, milli-.
rsneha

Post by rsneha »

Thanks or you can try this site : https://unitconverter.net/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've been around here for a little while and am surprise by the responses given Mr. MIller. 12 posts and not one straight answer. "How to convert...", "Laboratory" and "Metric history" responses, but not an answer. This isn't a "Give a man a fish..." situation, a feller was looking at a liquid in different containers wanting to know which is bigger, for a simple purchase. :roll:

I wonder which of the listed amounts is the largest?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For practical purposes, they are the same. On an engineering test the first is not the same as the next 2.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I hate metrics, and dug my heels in years ago when Jimmy Carter tried to take us kicking and screaming into the metric system. But when I need to convert a quick Google search brings up a conversion table that saves me grief.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of the Northern European countries uses inches for building even though they are a metric country- their inch is about 1/16" longer than our inch.
Yes and we thought Jimmy was the worst president!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 28, 2011 10:22 am Just be sure not ever to confuse "Grn" and "Gm" - sometimes "Grn" is used instead of writing out grains, alghough in some applications like reloading it is justifiably the default standard. It is also possible to confuse hand printed words "grains" and "grams" if not written carefully, so just writing out the relatively short word doesn't necessarily solve the potential issue.

Overall, the metric system is so much nicer because all the conversion calculations are just a matter of shifting decimal places, and it takes about ten minutes to look at and handle beakers or other items and get a good feel for about what size things are. Once you can visualize 1 ml (sugar cube), you know what 1 cm is, since the sides are one cm, which is what makes it a cubic centimeter as well as a milliliter.
All of my sugar cubes seem to be 0.5"...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sugar cubes? Last time I saw those was in 1979.
D. Brian Casady
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

piller wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm For practical purposes, they are the same. On an engineering test the first is not the same as the next 2.
This is the correct answer: The operative adjective being PRACTICAL! Go and rest easy now. 8)