OT-Remington model 8 or 81. Have one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT-Remington model 8 or 81. Have one?

Post by getitdone1 »

I'm considering buying a Remington model 8 semi-auto rifle chambered for the 35 Remington cartridge. My reason for being interested in this old gun is one of my heroes used it to kill many grizzlies. I've mentioned him several times but I'll just say he lived in the wilds of British Columbia, Canada and said he killed 50 and then stopped counting. Funny, he never mentioned anything about being "under-powered."

If you own the model 8 or 81 I'd like to hear your opinion of the gun. I think it's a very reliable gun, especially for a semi-auto.

I believe I could buy a decent one for 6-800 dollars.

Don McCullough
kid_couteau
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT-Remington model 8 or 81. Have one?

Post by kid_couteau »

I have a decent one
I paid 350 for it and it works well.

They are take downs and neat as heck

Wouldnt mind trading mine in on a lever gun though

Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth. Be friendly to others. But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

My knife and leather website

www.kidcouteau.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have Dad's, Grandpa's, great grand uncle's Model 8. Uncle David Waterbury Fancher was the original owner of this rifle, so far as I can determine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I've read that Frank Hamer used one to stop Clyde and Bonnie.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I had one in 300 Savage. Shot pretty good, I just thought it felt and handled kinda' heavy and clunky so it became one of the few rifles I have ever sold. And I have a Savage 99 in the 300 anyway and it is a lot more my style. And I have Marlins in 35 Remington and they are much neater rifles (in my opinion). And now I have a Rem 141 in 30 Remington and it is so cool I am going to get one in 35 Rem. Now the Marlin or the Rem 141 are the ones I'd recommend you be looking at if you want to kill bears with 35 Rem. Super slick! Super cool! And they have either levers or pump handles.

Of course, when a fellow decides he really wants something then he probably really ought to go ahead and get it. I can say that my 81 never had a single failure to function during the year or so I owned it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Good luck on your search, Don. I've been doing the same thing since I read up on Frank Hamer's exploits to bring down Bonnie and Clyde many years ago. The few I've come across were in pretty bad shape and fairly beat up, unfortunately. But, yeah I'm with you. I'd love to find one, develop some handloads and take 'er deer huntin'.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a 1909 Model 8 in 35 Rem that I re-built and a 1947 Model 81 in 300 Savage. These are my favorite rifles. Mine shoot accurate enough, the 35 will put 3 shots into 1.5" at 100 yds and the 300 Sav is a bit more fussy but will do 2" at 100 yds all the time and occassionally better. The reliability has been excellent. They both gobble up my reloads without a problem and once I found the right load they cycle them without a problem. There are over a dozen of them in excellent shape at the Cabelas Allen, TX for less then $450 each. I saw 4 Model 8's and 1 Model 81 in 35 Rem there. They show up on the internet gun sites now and then for $350-$400 in great shape. If you need specifics or would like me to help you locate a good one just ask.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t use my 81 in 35 much but i sure like it as a neat design. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

This spring I bought someone's grandpaw's Model 8 , 30 Rem. at the local gun shop. They had four from someones colection. I chose to buy the 30 even though it's obsolete cal. It's perfect. I didn't think I needed to reload for it, so bought two boxes of ammo from Buffalo Arms for $80. I sighted it and keyholed every two shots 'til they hit where I wanted them. I love this gun. I'll shoot a deer this fall with it and put it away. Every round cycled like it should. I'm not a fan of autos , but I had to have it anyway.

Owen
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We got a 81 in 300 Savage off Gunbroker for a friend maybe a year ago . It shoots well but we needed to go thru it before it worked reliably !
Now that may very well be an isolated incident , but he did have feeding problems with his until we took it apart cleaned it well and tweaked it a bit .

It is my understanding that Frank hammers Model 8 was in 25 REM although that could be incorrect . I also heard or read somewhere that his rifle was profusely engraved as well !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm I stand corrected about the 25 REM !

I am sure though I read somewhere that Hammer had a Model 8 in 25 REM !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

[img]
Model%208%20stock.jpg
Model%208%20left.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Remington had some the most unique semiauto rifles I have ever seen. They probably rivaled Winchester, for reliability, but since I know squat about the 8/81........

How difficult is it to take the action apart, to clean the bolt? I've always wondered if it was "user/shooter" friendly. Hopefully it's not the nightmare the Nylon 66 is.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

86er,

I know you've have had a lot of experience with a lot of guns so when you say the model 8 and 81 are your favorite rifles--well now....that's quite a statement. Would you mind giving your reasons? Do you mean your favorite semi-auto rifles?

I've read the models 8 & 81 actions are very similar to the Browning Auto 5 shotgun and we know it's very reliable. Seems the newer guns all go for the gas-operated system while I've thought for some time the old recoil operated would stay reliable the longest--or just plain more reliable.

Thanks too for your kind offer. I won't have a problem locating a good one. I'll give Cabelas a look, and several other sources.

Don
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nope but I've got this....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I've had 9 or 10 and from 30 Remington to 35 Remington I have the advertising the books and spare parts. My wifes great Uncle took one to Montana in the 20's and he killed a grizzly with hs too...

They are a very well made and reliable gun and are average shooters. Most will hold under 4" at 100 yards easy and some will go under 2". They are not to be hot rodded when loading but will shoot fine with loads in the 35,000 range. Cast bullets shoot just as well as jacketed in these guns and kill just as well on game. Try the Great Model 8 forum if you want the real low down.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I think the old timers knew how to shoot. When winchester first came out with the 30 WCF., they advertised it as grizzly medicine. If you miss, shoot too far away, or hit it in the leg, the 35 won't stop a grizzly, but neither will a 416 Rigby. But with shot placement and range limitation, the 35 will do the job. But it makes it harder to sell the public a .338 laputa or a 416 Hoffman.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

getitdone1 wrote:I'm considering buying a Remington model 8 semi-auto rifle chambered for the 35 Remington cartridge. My reason for being interested in this old gun is one of my heroes used it to kill many grizzlies. I've mentioned him several times but I'll just say he lived in the wilds of British Columbia, Canada and said he killed 50 and then stopped counting. Funny, he never mentioned anything about being "under-powered."

If you own the model 8 or 81 I'd like to hear your opinion of the gun. I think it's a very reliable gun, especially for a semi-auto.

I believe I could buy a decent one for 6-800 dollars.

Don McCullough
I own two of them. One in 30Rem ( Weaver K 2.5 Scope) and one in 300 Savage (Original Lyman Tang Sight). Both are model 81's. I picked up the scoped rifle for $300 and the one with the Lyman tang sight set up for $450. Both are good shooters and reliable. They came to me in need of cleaning up but in reasonable condition for rifles this old. I am sure both were hunted with a good bit. The interest in these guns was nill for a long time but recently it has been picking up. Along with the prices they are going for. If you are interested I would suggest going for it sooner than later. If the trend continues prices will continue to go up. Most all of the ones I have run across still function just fine even when showing signs of being well used. The wear is often external and cosmetic as they were hauled around out in the woods but not shot just for recreational purposes. These old girls are from a diffrent time for sure. I really like mine and plan on doing some "retro" deer hunting with both of them.
Three shots irons and three shots scope at 100 yds.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

That's cool. Maybe I'll get another one.

Owen
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had a mint Model 8 a few years ago, complete with Marbles sights at all three locations. It was a beauty and shot under 2" at 100 yds if I did my part. I didn't plan on selling it, but showed it to a friend who went crazy over it, and eventually offered enough I decided to let him have it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I jumped on a .32 Rem last fall. It's too cool. 8) :wink:

Slow is just slow.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Real nice! That's my goal. To shoot a buck a buck with the Model 8.

Owen
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Going back over this thread it just occured to me the model 8 being "improved" with the 81 reminds me of how they "improved" the model 1886 Winchester with the 71. Fatter, heavier stocks. There may have been a few other minor improvements in these two guns but I'll take the 8 and 86 with less weight and thinner, better looking wood.

Don
olskool
Levergunner

Post by olskool »

Image I have 5 of them. 25,30,32, and two 35s,,,,,,,,,,,,
olskool
Levergunner

Post by olskool »

Image they still work to,,,,,,,,,,,,,
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Old post-deleted duplicate reply.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man olschool, that's a fine picture. Thanks for posting and nice buck and good shootin'. I just love it when an old campaigner makes meat. Did you see my buck and '73 SRC?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I love this great Browning design, and have had them in .30, .32 and .35 Remington. Always wanted one in .25 Remington, but they were all either too expensive or had sketchy bores.
Good stuff here:

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/