Price check on 94 Canadian Centennial (now NEVERMIND)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Price check on 94 Canadian Centennial (now NEVERMIND)

Post by Otto »

EDIT The next time I am stupid enough to come back to this forum, somebody just shoot me in the head. Thanks.
Last edited by Otto on Fri May 06, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price check on 94 Canadian Centennial

Post by pokey »

Otto wrote: You want it to shoot, not to look at:
good because it's only a shooter in that condition.
what are decent post '64s bringing in your area?
here something less than 400 would be about right.
if you like the look and long barrel you might give
a little more, if not a plain carbine could be had for
a little less. like so.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =227731650
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Bluh.
Last edited by Otto on Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would go $350 to $400 on the Canadian Centennial. But then I have always wanted a octogon long barrel 30-30. Too bad it has the ding on the stock. Its a shooter not a collector.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Here it would probably leave a gunshop rack at around 700-900.

Not that I would pay that for it. I have too many NIB comemmoratives but I have paid up to $950 for a couple of them that I just had to have.

If you like it, bid on it and see how you go. I would say over there maybe around 500-600 but thats just a stab in the dark. It is not NIB and has a few little marks and a cracked and scratched stock but still looks good.

The Canadian Centennial was the 4th comemmorative made, with a total of 90310 carbines and rifles. Not many of the comemmoratives had 26'' barrels, most had 20'' or 24''.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was thinking $300-400 but it might go $450-500 just because it is only the one ding on the stock and it is a shooter with the long octagonal barrel. Maybe. Still more likely $300-400.

It is a shooter and not a collectible because 1 - there's no box and sleeve and 2- it has that mark (a deliberate mark it almost seems) on the stock. Those commemoratives are only collectible where near perfect. Recently, we had a fellow bring in two of the Buffalo Bill guns, a matched carbine and rifle, but he couldn't get the collector price because the colorful sleeves had come unglued and he had taped them back together with masking tape.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Since you don't really care for the maple leaves, try looking for a "Classic". They were made in both carbine and rifle form for a few years. The loading gate is either gold or silver and there may be some sort ot engraving around the receiver edge. Happy Hunting. :D
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've had several of them and like them. The pictures make the maple leaves look more pronounced than they look in person. The very dark receiver finish makes it hard to see the details for the most part. The pictures were taken in reflected light to make the details stand out. I also think they look better than most of the stuff they put on commemoratives. I've taken Shooters Choice solvent (mostly soaking) and a bore brush and carefully removed the gold paint in the barrel and tang lettering also. The Canadian Centennial's are about the plainest looking of the commemoratives, making them good for a shooter if one is looking for a rifle. They also don't have shiny parts or a medallion in the stock as many commemoratives do.

I see them in the $500-$600 range now and then at the local and the Antique Winchester shows for NIB examples, tho if you really want a rifle, paying up to around $450-$500 wouldn't seem out of line, even for a used gun. I'd rather have one of these than most any other example of a post-64 94, and the standard carbines have been getting up around $400 or so. I think it would be a good deal anywhere up to around $500.

There's a fair performance boost with the 26" barrel over a 20". William Iorg has done a bit of load work with them, and is impressed with the velocity and accuracy of the 26" barreled commemoratives. There are a number of threads on shooters forum.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If you are into 94s there is an auction in Larned Ks. the 22nd. Go to carrauction.com Lots of 94s and Colts.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

$400-$600. Firm. With the nick in the stock and no box... it's not worth the collector price of $700-900. I'd probably try to stay under $500.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My dad paid $125 for one that was new in the box. But that was in 1967. :D I've turned 'em down for $300 but if I really wanted one, I can see paying $450-500 for one today, that of course is NIB. Hey, 90,000 of them were made. Not exactly rare.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:My dad paid $125 for one that was new in the box. But that was in 1967. :D I've turned 'em down for $300 but if I really wanted one, I can see paying $450-500 for one today, that of course is NIB. Hey, 90,000 of them were made. Not exactly rare.---------Sixgun
But Jack, you ain't talkin' an auction where you're biddin' against idjits.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Otto wrote: What specifically makes it a shooter-condition gun?
like others have said, no box, no tags, no papers, dings in stock and
the screw slots look funky, a little rust mayhaps?

these commemoratives need to be perfect and have all the stuff they
came with when new to bring top dollar. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I paid $500 for mine about a year ago. In very Like NIB (no ding) shape and a great shooter. Love that long barrel! :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just watched a guy buy one identical to that at a gun show last Saturday, handed six $100 bills to the gent tote'n it around.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Joe Reilly wrote:Since you don't really care for the maple leaves, try looking for a "Classic". They were made in both carbine and rifle form for a few years. The loading gate is either gold or silver and there may be some sort ot engraving around the receiver edge. Happy Hunting. :D
Except for the loading gate and the engraving around the receiver, the "Classics" and some of the other "commemoratives of that era are pretty much the same thing. Winchester had a macabre fascination with commemorating everything they could possibly think of back then. what most aren't aware of is that those guns can be good shooters. I've got what amounts to a "Classic Rifle" that shoots better than my aging eyes can see. I don't like that cheesy cast-in engraving either, but there's nothing wrong with the octagon barrels of that period. The Canadian models are, IMO, some of the better looking offerings of that particular period in time. Some of the other commemoratives were a lot more outlandish. Those maple leaves don't really affect a shooter, and if you don't like the color of the loading gate, just change it out for a blued one.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"...Those maple leaves don't really affect a shooter, and if you don't like the color of the loading gate, just change it out for a blued one."

I always felt the maple leaves were some of the least distracting looking of the "engraving" used on commemoratives. As mentioned above, the engraving isn't very noticable with how dark the receiver finish is, it stands out in the pictures because of how they had the light for the pictures.

The Canadians are all blue, the loading gate looks shiny from the light in the pics, like the receiver does.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Another price check on 94, Leagcy this time

Post by Otto »

Have a good day.
Last edited by Otto on Fri May 06, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Another price check on 94, Legacy this time

Post by Malamute »

I would say the Canadian Centennial is the nicer gun, better finished, and classier. I've had several Canadian Centennials, and haven't seen much of later 94's that I thought were as nice, but then, thats just my opinion.

If you're going to scope it, the later angle eject would be better, but it will also have the rebounding hammer which many don't care for, and which the Canadian does not have, it is the old style half cock and decent trigger pull, or simpler to get a decent trigger pull. The Canadian is closer to what the old Winchesters looked and functioned like compared to the legacy.

Looks like the legacy is going to be more money also.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another price check on 94, Legacy this time

Post by .45colt »

The Legacy I bought new with the rebounder and tang saftey had the worst out of the box trigger of any firearm I have ever owned....others have not had as bad of an experience as I,but I would sure want a 3 day return period. just my 02.Good Luck.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Nevermind

Post by Malamute »

Interesting, he asked for thoughts and opinions, and reasons why we thought what we did, then didn't like to hear what anyone said I guess.

Sorry Otto, not sure what you were wanting. You posted and then changed what you were asking, and still didnt seem to know what you wanted or were asking for. A new post for the other gun may have been more effective, but I'm not sure there was a right answer in this case.

This whole post will seem pretty confusing to anyone that comes along later and reads it. Heck, I'm confused and I read it all, each version as it kept getting changed.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Otto wrote:EDIT The next time I am stupid enough to come back to this forum, somebody just shoot me in the head. Thanks.
Sounds like something interesting happened. And I missed it again...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

He asked about the value of a genty used Canadian Centennial 94, then went back and changed his first post, asked about another gun, and what anyone would choose and why, then got a couple comments, and changed all his posts.

Very odd.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tarts are tarts and better left in outer space--does that make sense? :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:? :? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gentlemen, you will find this topic locked.

Mr. Otto chose to change his topic in mid-stream as it were and did so by means of editing the first post AND changing the topic title. I called on him to correct it and then found he had added a second post and so I wrote by way of apology etc. I also changed the first post to make his intention more clear for those of us like myself and Malamute. He has taken exception to my actions and apparently will take his leave of us all for it. He is NOT being banned.

I have decided that the next time such a thing happens I will edit nothing but will simply lock the topic. Of course, this was the first time in 8 years so...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson