Ruger #1 - 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Ruger #1 - 45-70

Post by stew71 »

Dammit....the local shop has a used one in beautiful shape for $800. To make the decision more difficult, I actually have the funds to buy it.

But....I don't NEED it. I don't NEED another hunting rifle. Especially in another brush caliber.

I've told myself to save up for one of the new #1's chambered in 300 H&H or 303 British.

But on the other hand....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger #1 - 45-70

Post by Pitchy »

That is a tough one Stew71 :) would be a nice rifle.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

What about the days when they used to shoot .45-70's at 1000 yards?

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

and in the future don't come here and expect us to talk you out of it. :lol: :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've got one worse than that!

Passed up on the same gun at a show couple months ago. Tag was $550. Probably could have gotten it for $500.

Don't know what I was thinking!! :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If you already have a 45-70 I would say save the cash and get the .303brit. Either way you can't go wrong I am just a sucker for the ole Brit.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I had a beauty with gorgeous wood and I sold it. IMO, the thing was too light. With any load of significance, it kicked the snot out of me. And no I'm not a wimp. I was working with a 500 Nitro this weekend. The recoil pad was a joke and the stock did not fit me well. Of course, all of these things could have been rectified but my brother wanted it worse than I did so he has it now. I can see your plight though, as I said, it was a beauty.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

me whispering.....

buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it
buy it

Thank me after you buy it.... :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I'd love to tell you to buy it but you can find good used one's on GunBroker for under $700 shipped almost all the time. I just bought an older model in .45-70 for $670 shipped and have another old model in .375 H&H in route now that I stole for $536 shipped. If you're not in a hurry you can pick up really nice ones in the larger calibers worth the money. Most of them haven't been shot that much either, especially in heavy mags.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
tdoor
Levergunner

Post by tdoor »

stew71 wrote:Dammit....the local shop has a used one in beautiful shape for $800. To make the decision more difficult, I actually have the funds to buy it.

But....I don't NEED it. I don't NEED another hunting rifle. Especially in another brush caliber.

I've told myself to save up for one of the new #1's chambered in 300 H&H or 303 British.

But on the other hand....
Yes, I know the feeling. In the 90's I succumbed and picked up a N01 in 45-70 (about $375 at the time). I was never able to get it to shoot lead well however. A major contributor (took me a while to figure out) to that was slight constriction of the bore under the forward sling mount which this particular configuration on No1 came with. I never put many jacketed rounds through it and traded it after a few years.
tdoor
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Is there such thing as a "local shop' in Sacramento? All of the one's I have visited had their merchandise severely overpriced.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Mike D. wrote:Is there such thing as a "local shop' in Sacramento? All of the one's I have visited had their merchandise severely overpriced.
Yeah...River City Gun Exchange. And yes, they do seem to be overpriced on some things. Other times they seemed pretty reasonable. Thankfully, I'm not in any hurry to buy so I may go the online route and save myself a few hundred bucks.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Stew:

I never thought I'd get into a single shot but after buying a Pedersoli Sharps 1874 repro a number of years ago I sort of got hooked and kept an eye open for a reasonably-priced No 1 in 45-70.

Last year I found this one being taken for walk around a large show in PA, and we settled on $650:

It's an early production "Red Pad" No 1 and I added the All-American picket post scope to it. Old school cool, IMO.

The thing I like about the No.1 is that it can handle just about anything you stuff into it, including some 500+ grain cast boolits. The Ruger will put Lyman 525 gr Postell bullets driven by 12.5 gr of Unique into the same hole time and again, all day. The same rounds don't fit in a Marlin.

The No.1 has fast become a favorite of mine, and in February I invested in a second No. 1 in 6.5x55. But that's a different thread.

They are out there, just take your time and be patient.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

Save for the 300 H&H, you will never regret it !!!!!!!!!

Currently, I only own one MKI.
It is a full Mannlicher stocked gun in 30-06.
There are lots of calibers I like, but this is my number 1, main hunting gun.
Since I already own 8 other 30-06 guns, and load for them, it just
made sense to buy this in 30-06 too.
If another 7mm Mauser chambered gun showed up at the right price, it would be heck to say no.
I's also like one on 6.5x55 Swede.
And then a .222,
and then a 6mm,
and then a 22 Hornet...........
oops....the 45-70 isn't even on the list yet.
and then a 375 H&H,
and then a ......... hmmmmm........
yep.....now a 45-70.

I agree with the others, these show up for less than $800 all the time around here.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have 17 or 18 #1's in the house at the moment with the largest being a 416 REM MAG on a #1H that I gave my dad for Christmas in 2009 .

I do not however have a #1S in 45-70 , although I'd like one !

Did have a #1H in 458 WIN MAG not to long ago . But after two range trips that beast went down the Gunbroker road and I made $100 over what I paid for it !

Lets see , we have B in 22 Hornet , custom in 22-250AI , 1V in 220 Swift , 1B in 204 Ruger , 1B in 243 , 1B in 6mm , 1B in 257 Bob , 1B in 25-06 , 1B in 270 WIN , 1B in 270 Weatherby , 1B in 264 WIN MAG , 1B in 280/7mm Express REM , 1B in 7mm REM MAG , 1B in 300 WIN MAG , 1B in 300 Weatherby , 1B in 338 WIN MAG , 1H in 375 H&H MAG and a 416 REM MAG in a 1H .

I'd like to have a factory original 1B or 1V in 222 REM , a 1B in 6.5mm REM MAG , 1V in 22PPC , 1V in 6mm PPC , 1A in 7x57 and possibly special run 1A's in 6.5x55 and 35 Whelen .

Yeah I know I don't want much !

Incidently last season I took a pair of doe with the 264 , another with the 7mm and another with the 300 Weatherby !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:We have 17 or 18 #1's in the house at the moment . . .

. . . we have B in 22 Hornet , custom in 22-250AI , 1V in 220 Swift , 1B in 204 Ruger , 1B in 243 , 1B in 6mm , 1B in 257 Bob , 1B in 25-06 , 1B in 270 WIN , 1B in 270 Weatherby , 1B in 264 WIN MAG , 1B in 280/7mm Express REM , 1B in 7mm REM MAG , 1B in 300 WIN MAG , 1B in 300 Weatherby , 1B in 338 WIN MAG , 1H in 375 H&H MAG and a 416 REM MAG in a 1H .

I'd like to have a factory original 1B or 1V in 222 REM , a 1B in 6.5mm REM MAG , 1V in 22PPC , 1V in 6mm PPC , 1A in 7x57 and possibly special run 1A's in 6.5x55 and 35 Whelen.
1. I'm surprised you haven't got a custom-made one in .444 Marlin 8)

2. How accurate are your No.1's ? I'm thinking about selling/trading my 7mm Mag one for a large-bore one and instead getting a bolt-gun for 7mm, on the theory that the Ruger No.1 is not an accurate enough platform to serve as my only 7mm Mag, but would be better suited to a 'thumper' type round. In just shooting some factory loads, I've not got the impression that my No.1B is a tack-driver, although I've not 'worked up' any loads for it, or done any of the forend modifications you read about, because it just seemed simpler to get a Savage heavy-barreled bolt-action...

...or for that matter, to just admit that with a straight-taper Encore barrel in .280 Rem, I really have no real reason to even need a 7mm Rem Mag, whether in Ruger No.1, or Savage bolt-action, or whatever...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

[quote="AJMD429

1. I'm surprised you haven't got a custom-made one in .444 Marlin 8)

2. How accurate are your No.1's ? I'm thinking about selling/trading my 7mm Mag one for a large-bore one and instead getting a bolt-gun for 7mm, on the theory that the Ruger No.1 is not an accurate enough platform to serve as my only 7mm Mag, but would be better suited to a 'thumper' type round. In just shooting some factory loads, I've not got the impression that my No.1B is a tack-driver, although I've not 'worked up' any loads for it, or done any of the forend modifications you read about, because it just seemed simpler to get a Savage heavy-barreled bolt-action...

...or for that matter, to just admit that with a straight-taper Encore barrel in .280 Rem, I really have no real reason to even need a 7mm Rem Mag, whether in Ruger No.1, or Savage bolt-action, or whatever...[/quote]

Well my 264 WIN MAG that I bought new last year before hunting season really likes the Hornady 129 SST with 58 grains of IMR4350 and a CCI200 !
The first group I shot with that load was in a ragged hole for a hair under .4" !
Now the fact that is was one of these "inaccurate" #1's is only part of it !
You see the ammo I used in that rifle had been loaded for another 264 I had just sold a nice Remington 700BDL Stainless Synthetic . And in the Remington the best that load would do was .75" !

All of the ones I have shoot well enough for hunting !

And by that I mean easily 1 1/2" at 100 yards and most will stay under an inch !

The 1V's shoot well enough for groundhogs although I think an out the box Remington 700VS with a little trigger adjustment will do better and do it in an easier fashion .

Shooting Ruger #1's has some similarities to shooting lever actions after having spent your earlier life with tuned bolt rifles . You soon learn everything is relative . While I know "some" #1's are tack drivers I don't think the percentage is as great as Remnigton 700's . But then I know quite a few more tricks to tweak a 700 then I do for a #1 !

As to a #1 in 444 , I've been thinking that one over for awhile !
Also been debating a rollingblock in 444 . But when I sit down and figure what either project will cost I realize I can get a brand spanking new H&R Handi Rifle in 444 for the cost of the barrel that would go on either of those ideas !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:How accurate are your No.1's ?

I have a friend that has a really nice Ruger #1 that was rebarreled by someone in Ohio I think with a stainless octago barrel for 22BR .

Anyway I was at the range one day and he had that rifle with him and wanted me to shoot it !

And of course I most certainly didn't mind shooting his ammo !

Anyway I shot a 5 shot group with that thing at 100 yards that was inside .3" 8)
He hasn't shot a better group with it yet and no he wouldn't sell it to me :lol:

We also have a retired Korean/Vietnam era Marine that lives close by thats building a 223 WSSM on a Ruger #1 action ! He had PacNor do the barrel and he's doing the stock himself !
Oh he also had them do the same thing for a 17 Fireball !

Both these rifles have heavy fluted stainless barrels !

Between these two they've given me an inclanation to build one in a BR or PPC and quite possibly a 25 or 6.5mm WSSM !
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

6pt-sika wrote:As to a #1 in 444 , I've been thinking that one over for awhile !
Also been debating a rollingblock in 444 . But when I sit down and figure what either project will cost I realize I can get a brand spanking new H&R Handi Rifle in 444 for the cost of the barrel that would go on either of those ideas !

Numrich Arms made kits to convert Rolloing Blocks to 45-70 and 444; I think in the '70s. A good friend of mine has the 444, it is a good shooter. I've seen them listed occasionally on GunsAmerica type websites.

I doubt one could be bought for the price of a Handi-rifle though.