Question about Kroil

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Question about Kroil

Post by meanc »

Does anyone know if Kroil is safe to use to just lightly wipe down firearms prior to putting in the safe, just as you would with Hoppes?

Has there been any reports/personal experience of damaged finishes to either metal or wood?
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Have used Kroil for the past few years and have not found any problems with it. There hasn't been any negative effects to metal or wood.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i have heard of some guys loosing the bluing in the rifles, but i have been using it for years with no problems.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

It may get under the blue. I have used it myself as a storage rust preventative with no problems. I have heard that others have experienced problems. There are alternatives so it is probably best avoided. Great for bore cleaning. 1886.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Just cleared out the safe and wiped everything down.

This has been an every 3 month routine of mine, mostly just to fondle them :lol: but I've been using Hoppes. I figure Kroil wouldn't be too much of a problem if it was just a quick wipe down.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I've had excellent luck using Break-Free since c. 1981, and have left guns lightly coated with BF for far longer than 3 months with no rust or other problems whatsoever. IMHO, it's hard to beat as a rust preventative.
That includes living for several years on the hot, humid sea coast -- part of which was spent with the coast just 80 yards from my back door...

John
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use Kroil mixed with Hoppe's in a 50%-50% mix. enhances the hoppe's.

Kroil is not a rust inhibiter, it is an excellent cleaner. After I clean with the Kroil mixture. I then use remoil for protection if I long term store in the safe.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I prefer a silicone impreganted cloth (I keep it in an old butter bowl on top of the safe and spray it with new silicone everytime I use it) to wipe down the firearms.

My buddy goes me one better....he has a pair of jeresy glove that he sprays with silicone and he puts these on everytime he moves around or pulls a gun out of his safe.

Kroil is a good cleaner and a good penetrating oil but my concern with oils in actions is that they attract and retain dust and crud. Get enough in an action and it gets to feeling gritty and can even lead to damage.

Wm
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

wm wrote:I prefer a silicone impreganted cloth (I keep it in an old butter bowl on top of the safe and spray it with new silicone everytime I use it) to wipe down the firearms.

+1
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

I just started using Break Free collector grade oil for wiping down seldom used rifles. looks good so far. I left a rifle at a gunshop it came back with finger prints which wiped off nicely no pits. Kroil is used by me for loosing rust and screws, cleaning bores when moly coated bullets used. Not a good rust preventive though.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like BreakFree, it works.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It's good for penetrating and stopping rust....only thing that would on the vent rib on my 870. I use Rem-Oil or Ballistol to wipe down my firearms. Hoppes sometimes too...whatever's at hand.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8