44 mag in various leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

44 mag in various leverguns

Post by rjohns94 »

Hey, look at me, posting an on topic thread!!!
I am completely inept with the search function on this forum. So I want to ask about something I know we have talked about but I can't locate:

The longer, heavier loads for .44mag in leverguns. I'm looking at loads like garrets heavy loads, 310 grainers. What lever guns do well with them, and which ones don't?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 44 mag in various leverguns

Post by C. Cash »

Mike....just FYI: in Taffin's "Book of the 44" there is a section on modern leverguns there, with a chart for the Wincester, Marlin and Rossi actions, listing which will feed those bullets. Hope you are well. Was thinking about camping down near Gettysburg this weekend and calling you, but it looks like another washout. :roll:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Some have trouble "making it around the corner" to feed fat nosed bullets, the nose can hit the top edge of the chamber. One of the guys here modified the lifter a little to allow fatter nosed bullets to feed. I may do it to my Browning 92, it has trouble with a couple of heavies I've tried. It's a very simple modification, a slight groove in the top front edge of the lifter, allowing the nose to sit just a little lower, somewhat like a standard 94 Winchester lifter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Ruger 96/44's have a 1:20 twist rate, so should work better for heavier bullets, and can even use pointy bullets due to the rotary magazine, BUT I don't know the maximum overall length that feeds in them. Not alot of Rugers out there, and some folks just don't like their looks enough to consider them regardless of what they'd feed and shoot.

You might also pose the question on the Garrett website, and others that sell the heavyweight bullets or loads, to see what specific firearms have proven records with them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

C. Cash wrote:Mike....just FYI: in Taffin's "Book of the 44" there is a section on modern leverguns there, with a chart for the Wincester, Marlin and Rossi actions, listing which will feed those bullets.
Can you point me to the page? I just scanned the chapter and hte only charts I saw were tests of various ammo out of each gun, e.g., velocity, grouping, etc. But I didn't see a reference to the ability to feed based on differences in OAL, bullet weight, bullet shape, etc.

Thanks.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

alnitak wrote:
C. Cash wrote:Mike....just FYI: in Taffin's "Book of the 44" there is a section on modern leverguns there, with a chart for the Wincester, Marlin and Rossi actions, listing which will feed those bullets.
Can you point me to the page? I just scanned the chapter and hte only charts I saw were tests of various ammo out of each gun, e.g., velocity, grouping, etc. But I didn't see a reference to the ability to feed based on differences in OAL, bullet weight, bullet shape, etc.

Thanks.
Hey Alnitak,

Sorry had the wrong chapter. The chart for factory heavies are on pg. 284, and reloaded heavies on pg. 260. For Taffin, only the Marlin 1894 would feed the Garrett 310 Gr. Hammerhead, but both the Winchester(I assume he means Win. 94) and Marlin 94 would feed Garrets 310 gr. Keith offering. The Browning and Rossi 92's were no go's on all accounts.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Marlins top out around 290g for weight, and some of them won't stabilize that. You can modify the cartridge stop on the lifter for longer rounds, but the 1:38 twist is the crippling factor.

Our 1894 will feed Marshall's 355g bullet, but won't stabilize them. It won't stabilize my revolver load of 320g either. We just used whitebox 240 jsp and made tons of venison with it. It's as good a venison load in rainforest type environments as any I've used. But for the stupid twist rate..... it could be the handiest moose/elk/steer/bison carbine around.

Grizz
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have a Puma M92 in .44 Magnum. I don't have other lever .44s to compare it with but it is a lot of fun to shoot. I soon found it would not feed Lyman 429421 SWC; nose a bit too long. I also slugged the bore and got a big .431", so I took care of the feeding and over bore problems with a Ranchdog mold for a 265 gr. RNFP gas checked bullet. Bullets as cast at .432". Shoots great. I just installed a Williams FP sight on it, but haven't shot it yet (my shooting spot is 3 miles up a dirt road and it hasn't stopped raining in about 2 months). But I do know it will shoot through a 3/4" plywood wall, through alum siding, two closet doors, a solid interior door, three decorative screen leafs, two dry wall walls, a decorative 1/2" pine plaque and into a wall stud about 1 1/2"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:I do know it will shoot through a 3/4" plywood wall, through alum siding, two closet doors, a solid interior door, three decorative screen leafs, two dry wall walls, a decorative 1/2" pine plaque and into a wall stud about 1 1/2"...
:shock: < gulp > :|

Maybe wanna use a more frangible bullet if using for in-the-home protection...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

C. Cash wrote:Hey Alnitak,

Sorry had the wrong chapter. The chart for factory heavies are on pg. 284, and reloaded heavies on pg. 260. For Taffin, only the Marlin 1894 would feed the Garrett 310 Gr. Hammerhead, but both the Winchester(I assume he means Win. 94) and Marlin 94 would feed Garrets 310 gr. Keith offering. The Browning and Rossi 92's were no go's on all accounts.
Thanks!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

mikld wrote:But I do know it will shoot through a 3/4" plywood wall, through alum siding, two closet doors, a solid interior door, three decorative screen leafs, two dry wall walls, a decorative 1/2" pine plaque and into a wall stud about 1 1/2"...
Methinks there's a story here...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Just in case you forgot about this Mike! :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nope, I have not forgotten about it. I have been talking to NKJ and looking around for a pre safety trapper.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Grizz wrote: it could be the handiest moose/elk/steer/bison carbine around.
You aren't just a woofin'!

The .44 in a rifle may be one of the most underrated meat makin' caliber out there :)

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I load Lee 310 wfn gas check boolits and they shoot very well in my Rossi. My Marlin 94 had a bit of trouble with the feeding so I just gently radius'd the top of the chamber mouth and that did the trick. It shot them into 2-3" depending on how I was doing at 100 yards. The Rossi gets about the same accuracy.

This is a maximum load of 21 grains of H110 with mag primers - and the boolits are sized .431", which is key to accuracy - they need to be over the size of the bore.

I lube mine with Lee's liquid alox - two coats.

I sold the Marlin 94 - new owner reported that he was very happy with it.

I still have and intend to keep the Rossi - has a Marbles tang sight installed, the Steve's Gunz replacement bolt for the wing safety. I really like it.

As said - the long nosed Kieth boolits like the 44250 RCBS make the OACL too long for feeding in the carbines.

If you are looking for on-game performance, I suggest you go with something like the 310 Lee that I use. It's a hammer:

This is the Rossi before I replaced the wing safety:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

O.S.O.K. wrote: As said - the long nosed Kieth boolits like the 44250 RCBS make the OACL too long for feeding in the carbines.
Yeah, but the 44-245 PB isn't too long and is a fantastically accurate bullet!

In fact, I am back in the house reading leverguns while taking a break from a long casting session of 44-245's!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My project b-92 feeds Marshall's 355g loads like butter, as fast or slow as I operate the lever. Never shot them because the barrel is, uh, shot. And stuck, but that's another story.

I don't think the Browning has a fast enough twister to stabilize that bullet, but Marshall said he's not so sure it won't, so it's worth a try. But any way, that would be dynamite out of a carbine, eh?

Grizz
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Here's a link to a Guns & Ammo article where the author shoots both Belt Mountain Punch bullets and Garrett 330 gr. Hammerheads in both a Ruger pistol and a custom modified takedown Marlin 1894 by David R Clay. A few years ago I could access the article dedicated to the rifle itself.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/make-mine-44

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

You could always do to a 44 what I did to my .357 Rossi. Several years ago someone on the forum here had modified a Rossi to handle the .357 Maximum with the 1.6" case. I used that info to get my Rossi to feed Beartooth 185 grain WFN's. Just grind off some of the lifter at the rim stop to allow the cartridge to sit a little farther away from the chamber. The relationship of the cartridge and chamber changed and it feeds those cylinder shaped bullets perfectly.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

mikld wrote: But I do know it will shoot through a 3/4" plywood wall, through alum siding, two closet doors, a solid interior door, three decorative screen leafs, two dry wall walls, a decorative 1/2" pine plaque and into a wall stud about 1 1/2"...
Ya ain't supposed to hang the targets on the side of the house...the paper don't stop much. :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
mikld wrote: But I do know it will shoot through a 3/4" plywood wall, through alum siding, two closet doors, a solid interior door, three decorative screen leafs, two dry wall walls, a decorative 1/2" pine plaque and into a wall stud about 1 1/2"...
Ya ain't supposed to hang the targets on the side of the house...the paper don't stop much. :wink:
Holy smokes!!! :o :o :o
Old Law Dawg