OT. What next? Suggestions welcome

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

OT. What next? Suggestions welcome

Post by perry owens »

Next June my 5-year work visa expires and I will have to return to England. During our time in the US my wife and I have taken every opportunity to travel this great country. We have been through forest, desert and mountains in 47 of the lower 48 by car, foot, ski, Jeep and ATV, We have swum in both oceans and visited many of the big cities. We have eaten cheesesteaks at Dino's and hot dogs at Nathans and best of all we have met many, many fine people who have made us welcome in their homes. For our final months here what are some of the must see or do things to plan for?

Perry Owens
Maddog521
Levergunner

Maybe this-----------------------

Post by Maddog521 »

Ya'll might like to see this---------http://www.thegreenhead.com/2005/08/gla ... -----there is another if I can find it I'll post it. Sorry to see ya'll go. Are you coming back?
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Perry...what is keeping you from getting a perminent visa? That is...if you want to stay. How about citizenship...we need all the good imigrants that we can get. Would you stay or do you wish to return to England?

LeverBob
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Maddog,
Thanks for the link. Went there last month. The GC is stunning but to my mind Bryce Canyon leaves it in the dust for sheer natural beauty.
LeverBob,
I would love to stay but the sad truth is that it is virtually impossible for a Brit to get a green card, let alone citizenship. When I came here the NCIS told me it would take at least 14 years to get a green card. As it was , to get here at all my employer had to prove that my job was so specialized that they could not find an American to do it.No complaints about that - you should look after your own people first, in fact I wish my own country did the same.
I will still work for my US company so I will be back visiting frequently, but continued residence will not be possible.
Perry Owens
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sadly, I have to agree with Perry.

A good friend (and one time landlord) of mine was here on an extended Visa. Owned property, a Business, everything.

But because he wasn't Brown or from a country that has a propensity to shoot its' ExPats, he was FORCED by INS to leave.

Sad really.

OTOH, You could always hook up with Nath and start the Levergun Import/Export Company - Manchester, York - And Sundry Services - Great Britian (LIC-MY-butt-GB) and start importing proper firearms to your not quite as Subjectable compadres across the Pond... :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Total BS!

Folks like Perry play by the rules and take it in the hiney. Then there are otherwise good folks that are criminally living within our borders that we are paying for, heck even giving scholarships to. :evil:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Perry
May I suggest the drive from Bad Water in Death Valley (168' [may be off by a few feet]below sea level) to the peak of Mt. Whitney 14,000' (above sea level) the tallest Mt. in the lower 48 states. It is a spectaculer drive and the difference in the terain is really dramatic.

Sad to hear that you have to be heading back. I wonder if we could send Hillary Clinton over there in your place :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Alaska, have you been in Alaska? It's a whole 'nother country for real, and twice as big as the othern'.

Sorry you gotta go. Imagine a country that welcomes the criminals and misfits and banishes the productive people.

How did they do this to us?

Best,

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bar Harbor, Maine. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jim's Rib Haven - Rock Island, Ill. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Perry,

You mentioned Bryce Canyon N P. How about south-central and southeastern Utah, from Boulder Mountain to Capitol Reef N P to Arches and Canyonlands N P and down to Monument Valley? Fantastic country!

Or Montana's Glacier N P.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Montana! Highway 83 north out of Lincoln past Seely Lake up the Flathead into Kalispell. Has to be the most scenic route in all of North America.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cimarron Red wrote:Perry,

You mentioned Bryce Canyon N P. How about south-central and southeastern Utah, from Boulder Mountain to Capitol Reef N P to Arches and Canyonlands N P and down to Monument Valley? Fantastic country!

Or Montana's Glacier N P.
Dittos!

The truth is that there's a whole lot to see. What is it that INTERESTS YOU?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You can always buy a Green card(s) on the street, move to Bedford-Sty & apply for Welfare (public assistance) - and see how this country really works. :wink: :lol:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It really ticks me to hear that you have such trouble getting staying here.....wish we could have you and more like you!

Places that have had a great effect on me:
-The coastal highway 1 from San Louis Obisbo to Monterey, CA
-Sequoia Nat'l Park(worked there 3 seasons)...any of the other 2 nearby parks, Kings Canyon and Yosemite
-Northern Arizona including the commerciailized Grand Canyon(still amazing)....the Indian sites throughout the region of Northern AZ going from Flagstaff towards Wapatki...spent alot of time out there as a kid.
-Gettysburg, PA
-Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA
-Washington DC(the mall museums and Ford's theatre will blow you away if you are a Civil War buff)

I'll keep thinking!
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Hooters in Anaheim, CA. :wink:

Really, Highway 191 from Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ. :D
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I am with C Cash:
"The coastal highway 1 from San Louis Obisbo to Monterey, CA "; both my kids graduated from Cal Poly SLO and it is a beautiful place, and the coast road back up to the Bay Area is fantastic. Stop at Pebble Beach if you golf, pretty place. If you haven't seen Yosemite, go for sure, I think God lives there and He landscaped it pretty well. The Giant Redwoods by the California/Oregon border are not to be missed, only place in the world they grow. Lake Tahoe, purest/cleanest lake in the world AND one can play craps in view of the Lake! Heck, just move to Northern California until you have to head back.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

The Club Ebony in Indianola, Mississippi.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Northern Minnisota in January, just to experience the cold.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, - 41 degrees, International falls - is it much worse in Canada?