Winchester/Miroku Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Winchester/Miroku Model 71

Post by Mike D. »

To me, color casing a 71 is just wrong. They were not ever cased originally. No Winchesters made after 1902 were case colored, unless specially ordered, and only an extremely rare few were. No, i will not be spending a nickel on a tang safetied, rebounding hammered, rifle.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

TMair wrote:
SJPrice wrote:And please bring back all 3 loads in the 348 Winchester Silvertip line. 150. 200 and 250.
Yes by all means PLEASE, and affordable.
My boys and I where headed to Wy. for a goose hunt at thanksgiving time, we stopped in Evanston to buy gas, and pick up our licenses, in the store I seen a couple of boxes of Winchester 200 grain silvertips, I made a mental note because I had been looking for another 71, I thought the price was in the $30.00 range, I remember thinking those must have been on the shelf for a long time, anyway once I got the gun I called the store, which had just moved so everything must have gotten reviewed, those shells where now in the $70.00 range, needless to say I did not go get them.
Terry
afforable factory .348 wcf ammo? keep dreaming. there is no volume to bring the price down. the solution is easy, reload. check the price of factory .218 Bee ammo if you want another laugh.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I think ol' Rimfire McNutjob is actually correct about the new 71 NOT having a rebounding hammer. I just went to the Winchester website under "Shotshow Specials" and they now have the 71 pictured which was not the case the other day. You can enlarge these images and sure enough, the 71 hammer looks like it is is indeed in a more forward position than all the other images of the 86's, 92's, 94's and 95's. Have a look.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I wonder if the new 71 has the same awful trigger and sear as the 1886 EL? If so, a Browning trigger would be in order. I would also cut the barrel down to 22" and place a small 1886 style ramp on it, sans hood. The gun does not appear to be drilled for a receiver sight, so would be perfect to d&t for a Lyman 21 or 38. I see plenty of potential there. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I agree they were well made, the 71 carbine (a Browning) that i once had and parted with, however, had very plain wood.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Anyone heard anymore about the Pedersoli 71 in .45-70? It was supposed to be available last fall.

Thanks, Brett
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

Hi all. The new 71 activity got me to sign up after years of lurking. Redcoat and I used to email back and forth about various leverguns (especially M71's) but I never joined or posted here. I am sorry he didn't get to see the reissue of these fine rifles (alas, no word on a 22 inch barrel as he wished).

I got this info this week on Deluxe's:

Will probably be shipping by June 2012, rebounding hammer, drilled/tapped for receiver sight, Pre-order for $1430 @ Kittery Trading Post or $1499 @ LL Cote's in Errol, NH. No word if the forend cap will have the original style swivel mount or a stud threaded into it like the pic online looks like. I think the online pic of the Deluxe is an edited pic of a Standard myself.

Turnbull gets $350 to weld in the tang safety, convert to half-cock, and salt (hot) blue, $650 for the same but casehardened (I know, I don't like that on a 71 either), and $600 for the same but charcoal blued.

I sold my original '53 M71 2 years ago to so I could replace an aging log skidder outright but have two Browning's (a rifle and carbine). Rifle has a Lyman 66WB and the carbine has an original Lyman 56. In my opinion the Miroku rifles are superb. I own a Davidson's Limited Win 1886 45-70 26in full oct/full mag, and a Davidson's 1895TD in 30-06 with Miroku's idea of casehardening. Those and the Browning 71's have been outstanding pieces. I am very much looking forward to a brand new Deluxe M71. I think I will learn to live with the rebounding hammer and I pretend the tang safety isn't there already....
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

NH Forester wrote:Hi all.
Welcome to the fire.

Though my moniker suggests that I may have a problem resisting Rimfire guns (I have an excess of Diamondbacks in 22 according to my wife), I do have and love the 71. I've got both Browning and Winchesters and I just don't get to shoot them enough. Certainly I can't afford to shoot too much factory .348 these days anyway. I load and experiment with the .450 Alaskan as I've got one in that chambering as well. Alas, it's got a case hardened receiver but it doesn't look too awful bad ...

I do agree that the Miroku made 71 is probably going to be top notch like the Brownings or the current Win 92's, but I'd love to see FN move that manufacturing back over here. Lately it seems that pulling manufacturing back home is starting to happen in some industries. We need more of it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

TMair wrote:I think they have decided that the rebounding hammer is a deal breaker since they did not incorperate it into the new 71, I could live with the tang safty, just put the tang site on it and be happy with it.
I recently acquired a Miroku-made Winchester 1892 Trapper in .357 (always wanted a 16" lever gun with a factory rifle-type forearm), and while I don't like the rebounding hammer, I don't mind the tang safety at all. I like that style a lot better than the cross bolts, but YMMV. My only beef with the carbine so far is that it isn't already tapped for a Lyman 66 or Williams FP... but with such a short sight radius no matter what it is equipped with, I am not too broken up about it.

(Yet.)

I probably paid too much for the little squirt based on the actual use I'll get out of it, but it sure was nice to open up a box and find a new rifle with the kind of workmanship I remember from my boyhood.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Wow :shock:

If I were a manufacturer reading this thread I would sure as heck give up on bringing out new 'old' model Leverguns. In todays climate butts have to be covered and so manufacturers do what they can to keep from being sued out of business. I think perhaps we can agree its best they don't go out of business and close their doors?

I own a 4 digit 1936 model 71. I also own two pre 1900 '86's in 45-70 and 45-90. But I also own one of the newer High Grade Jap models brought out in the late '90's and can tell you its a work of art. Oh, I don't care for the tang safety nor the rebounding hammer. But it has the most fantastic wood I ever saw, the smooth action and metal finish are second to none and can say it is the most beautiful rifle I own and I own a lot of beautiful rifles. Groups that can be covered by a NICKEL at 75 yards with the factory sights don't hurt anything either.... :wink:

I really think we should quit complaining and only consider the older rifles as all that should be offered or nothing at all. I have a son and a couple nephews who have absolutely no problems with the newer lawyered up guns because that is what they know. And if it is of good quality and I like it, I'm buying it!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Nice, anyone who brings out a rifle chambered in the 348 Winchester gets a tip of my hat. I sure wish NEF would make one in their Handi-Rifle. The new Winchester means more ammo and more reloading components, and after a couple years, more of these rifles offered at deep discounts on clearance websites (just like the Browning M71 was eventually offered) or appearances in gun shows and pawn shop shelves as used guns. I need a beater so I can leave my original M71 in the safe except for special occassions - and this will fit the bill. Yee-haw! This is heap good news! :D
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Does anyone have an update on the new Winchester 71 and factory .348 ammo?
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Winchester/Miroku guns are fantastic.

I first bought one of their 32-20 rifles a few years ago and really liked it. Since then I picked up a 45 colt, 44 Mag, a .357 SRC and a really neat .357, 16" barrel take down model.

I guess I would also prefer no rebound hammer or tang safety, but these are much better guns than what my original 32-20 SRC was that I carried on patrol as a State Trooper in the 60's (it was of course converted to a .357).

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

trooper joe wrote:Winchester/Miroku guns are fantastic.

I first bought one of their 32-20 rifles a few years ago and really liked it. Since then I picked up a 45 colt, 44 Mag, a .357 SRC and a really neat .357, 16" barrel take down model.

I guess I would also prefer no rebound hammer or tang safety, but these are much better guns than what my original 32-20 SRC was that I carried on patrol as a State Trooper in the 60's (it was of course converted to a .357).

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

I agree. I own a Browning 71 rifle, Winchester 1895TD 30-06, and a Winchester 1886 45-70 26 in full octagon/magazine/crescent butt. All Miroku. I think they are probably (sadly) much better guns than if they tried to make them here these days.... I would really like one of the long tang Pedersoli 1886/71's if they were available in .348. One of those with a Pedersoli repro bolt peep.... very sexy!

Merry Christmas!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Go with a Browning. No rebounding hammer or tang safety. Those 2 are deal breakers. You 'll pay way less for a used Browning and dig it 10x more. Try both and see if u agree.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

tman wrote:Go with a Browning. No rebounding hammer or tang safety. Those 2 are deal breakers. You 'll pay way less for a used Browning and dig it 10x more. Try both and see if u agree.
The B92 Brownings I had (the Cent. 44 Mag and yes I did actually have a .357/very rare B92 also) were very nice guns. However, they had very rough triggers, an alloy (pinned instead of a screw) forearm barrel band, and the fit and finish was not up to the current Winchester/Miroku's.

Although, I would not walk away from one since they are so classic (as you know they were also made by the Miroku factory),

Just some thoughts,
Trooper Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

trooper joe wrote:
tman wrote:Go with a Browning. No rebounding hammer or tang safety. Those 2 are deal breakers. You 'll pay way less for a used Browning and dig it 10x more. Try both and see if u agree.
The B92 Brownings I had (the Cent. 44 Mag and yes I did actually have a .357/very rare B92 also) were very nice guns. However, they had very rough triggers, an alloy (pinned instead of a screw) forearm barrel band, and the fit and finish was not up to the current Winchester/Miroku's.

Although, I would not walk away from one since they are so classic (as you know they were also made by the Miroku factory),

Just some thoughts,
Browning 86 and 71 carbines. Never handled their 92's
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

trooper joe,

I agree with you about that shoddy forearm band on the Browning B92. I had hoped that the newer Winchester/Miroku carbines were using steel bands, but alas that appears not to be the case. Too bad!
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Cimarron Red wrote:trooper joe,

I agree with you about that shoddy forearm band on the Browning B92. I had hoped that the newer Winchester/Miroku carbines were using steel bands, but alas that appears not to be the case. Too bad!
I just checked my newest SRC .357 from Miroku. It does have a pin instead of a screw in the forearm barrel band, but according to my magnet, it is steel or a steel alloy, not pure alloy.

Oh well, my experience is when I do try to unscrew this band on an old, well worn carbine, it is quite easy to break this screw. Guess I will just spray some oil down there and finish off with my air compressor. I sppose these would drift out from left to right but I will propably never to that.
Trooper Joe
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

So I received my Model 71 Deluxe yesterday....

Fit and finish is not as good as my Browning 71. Close, but not as good. Checkering is nice with sharp points and no runover, the border of the checkering is a little sloppy in places but so were the originals. Spur at the top of the buttplate is not inlet as nicely as my Browning 71 and the rather poor picture shows the gap on the right hand side of the point. I will probably try to fill it in with a furniture crayon.

Action cycles HARD. This is the fault of the hammer spring. When cycling from full cock the action cycles smoothly, albeit tightly due to it being brandy new and machined to much closer tolerances than the originals I'm sure. I checked the spring and it is in position as it should be. I don't want to risk light strikes like I have seen some guys get with the old Browning 71 springs that I am comparing the "feel" to. I have 1886, 1895, and other examples of rebounding hammer Miroku leverguns with tang safeties and I don't recall them being this stout right out of the box. Anyone else?

I mounted the Lyman 66 and the Marbles dovetail block right out of the box. Rifle is very nice overall. I am not happy that they chose to go with standard QD studs. I would have preferred the M70 super Grade style inlet on the stock at least. It IS a Deluxe afterall. Swivels were included as with the originals but these are standard Uncle Mike's swivels. Wood is beautiful as you can see. The tang safety forced them to make it a "long tang" very much matching the look of the early production 71's. Turnbull will weld in the safety and return it to half cock capabilities as well as hot blue the receiver for $350. I don't really mind it, I can see using the tang safety when unloading the magazine at the end of the hunt (although I have never had to do this on any of my older leverguns and never had an AD with one of those so....).

I just realized that this is post number 71!

My $.02
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Looks like a beauty, that is some really nice wood! I hope it shoots as nice as it looks, I'm sure it will break in nicely over the years.

I have an original 71 made in 1936, but would take one of these new ones in a NY second. The same way I have '86's from 1891 and a few newer, but absolutely love my 1998 '86 Miroku.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

That's a beautiful 71! Sure beats my Browning 71.

Love that little take down above is too ! :) I have one of the New Winchester 1892s in 357 that is a beautifully finished little rifle. I can't wait to get the new 1873. They are scheduled to start shipping this month.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Grizzly have you heard whether we'll get any cartridge offerings in the 73 other than the 357?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

real nice shooter! KI need one of those!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Don McDowell wrote:Grizzly have you heard whether we'll get any cartridge offerings in the 73 other than the 357?
Don,

No mention has been made by Winchester of any other calibers, AFAIK. However, if sales warrant, I would look to see a series of limited productions in a variety of calibers and configurations as we have seen with the 92, 86, 95 models. Just a guess, but that has been their pattern.

GA
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well I sure hope they get those 73's in something beside the 357.
Would like to get ahold of one of these new 71's, but without any real need for it will keep my piggy bank waiting for something I got the bad aches for. :mrgreen:
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Don McDowell wrote:Well I sure hope they get those 73's in something beside the 357.
Roger that. A 44-40 would be about perfect! :)

Quyana cekneq, Neva