What are your Christmas traditions....and Merry Christmas...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

What are your Christmas traditions....and Merry Christmas...

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We always spend Christmas eve at moms...
and have a traditional german dinner...and a nice cold german beer
and we let my daughter open 1 gift....
I am usually up first on Christmas morning....have a bowl of cereal
and watch the Three Godfathers with John Wayne....
The wife and Daughter love to sleep late....9ish...and then we open gifts...
Later that afternoon the entire family...inlaws...friends and neighbors stop by
for christmas dinner...for the traditional turkey dinner and this huge
beef tenderloin slow cooked an the BBQ....I bet I gain 5 pounds Christmas day...
and the next day I usually go hunting...

I just want to wish all you guys a Very Merry Christmas...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What are your Christmas traditions....and Merry Christmas...

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I have 10 kids and a grandchild. It is difficult to keep any tradition. Consistency is tough to obtain with this crowd. Everyone will pitch in and have their job to do. I even give them all the day off for the 24th! Happy Holidays!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Digger
Levergunner

Post by Digger »

We do Christmas Eve at our house for both mine and my wife's family. Then Christmas dinner at my brother's house with his extended family. In between in presents, gluttony, and general holiday revelry.

Merry Christmas to all.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Growing up we didn't go anywhere for Christmas Eve of Christmas. Our relatives lived too far away. Now, we go to the MIL's for Christmas Eve and Christmas is a free for all. Also growing up we did go shooting some guns during the Christmas holiday.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We are STILL trying to work out traditions with blended family, grandkids, etc. Nobody ever does the same thing twice in a row.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Open family gifts christmas eve and santas gifts christmas morning then have a prime rib dinner. danny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Collecting and messing with Christmas Music. Other than that & church it's pretty much a typical day.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Steak dinner and open presents with my immediate family on Christmas Eve. Breakfast and presents with extended family at my grandparents' house on Christmas morning, then lunch at my aunt's. Since I got married we do every other Christmas in New Mexico with my wife's family. Headed that way after she gets off work today.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

We alternate Christmas and Thanksgiving between my wife's family in Reno and my family in Northern California. This year we're in Reno so we'll stop at Cabela's on the way up then stay at her parents' place. Tomorrow, we'll head over to Sparks to see her sister and BIL, then go walking in the hills, snow permitting. We usually spend Christmas morning there with everyone then head back to her parents for dinner and Mass.

Sunday will be spent visiting some friends in Reno and Virginia City, then we head home on Monday.

Merry Christmas everyone. Be safe.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

JESUS is the REASON for the SEASON :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

We'd either stay up and go to Mass at midnight, or go to the early Shepherd's Mass in the morning. Only after that did we open gifts, eat breakfast, go back to bed (pretty much in that order.)
Merry Christmas,
Mark :lol:
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

We have no real tradition, but just do the same thing every year. :D :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Sounds like most "traditions" are similar, so I will share one unique tradition...Christmas morning milk punch!

It's tradition that after the gifts are opened on Christmas morning, and the adults have all fully awakened, the men in the family would share a glass of milk punch to toast the holidays. The recipe for it is simple...4ozs of whole milk, 4ozs of bourbon, 2 heaping teaspoons of powdered confectioners sugar, and a few sprinkles of nutmeg. Shake in a closed container and serve over an ice cube or two in a wide-brimmed glass (e.g., brandy snifter, red wine glass, etc.). Makes two servings. Repeat as necessary!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Our Tradition...We divide the insanity between Thanksgiving and Christmas ... Thanksgiving with my wife’s family... Christmas with mine.. the prize for the most dysfunction going to my family Christmas Eve. We have an agreement to open the gifts in a contemplative and thoughtful round robin fashion, so everyone can see who got what from whom.... But no.. that always breaks down by about the second gift....I guess overzealous consumption of coffee and the pre and post Christmas Dinner sweets turns it into a twitching sugar induced mass adult ADD frenzy ...Luckily, its always been a happy mayhem.... It’s a din of glitter strewn excited utterances amongst sounds of yanked ribbon popping, and tearing gift wrap... a seeming contest to see who can tear through and process their gifts the fastest... and therefore be the first to get back over to the choicest morsels remaining of Christmas Dinner.....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Christmas eve at my house. Day at my fathers' house. All of the old ethnic food and 4 generations! :D
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Every Christmas eve my wife, daughter and I go out to dinner with my mother. This year is chinese food. It is usually chinese food (mom's favorite). Christmas day I get out on the water, kayak, canoe or just wading for an hour or two of fishing. Christmas dinner is beef tenderloin and fresh fish.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

7 years later....and the tradition lives on!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our tradition for Christmas Eve has settled on sparkling apple juice and Ro-Tel/Velveeta dip while watching Christmas movies on DVD. We open gifts on Christmas morning while eating monkey bread. We then go to our friends house where they have a big get together every year. Friends and family, lots of food, and a great time every year. Working retail as I do, some years my name is drawn out of the hat to work on Christmas.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

The families would gather at my grandmother's house and Christmas morning and after the gifts were open the men and older boys would go quail hunting, the women cooked (none of them hunted) then we had dinner and good conversation.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:47 pm 7 years later....and the tradition lives on!
You're lucky; usually changing ages and relocations change everything before long.

As a kid our Christmases were Courier-and-Ives affairs, with the host families post-WW2 success stories hosting their elders and tons of baby-boomer kids who were slathered with toys galore.

Then the boomers mostly headed for greener pastures and at one point the only ones left in flyover country were the surviving former hosts, all frail with walkers or oxygen, and in their 80's, and my pregnant wife, with 2, 4, and 6 year old kids and my mother (with Alzheimer's) and me, all living in a 900 square foot space with one bedroom which was my mom's since the bathroom was off the bedroom and she needed easy access. The rest of us were sleeping on the floor in the future living room (I was building house slower than my wife was building babies). That year we realized the relatives who would usually host Christmas were out of town, so at the last minute, in a blizzard, we headed out to collect old-people, praying none would slip and break a hip, or have chest pain and need a nitro. We hadn't prepared, so a couple store-bought punkin pies and some macaroni and cheese with bacon bits was the fare, along with some homemade bread.

Still, it was a memory generating evening; some of the last times the kids would see their grandparent's generation.

Now that generation is gone, and get-togethers much smaller, with me and my brother taking turns hosting, and we eat venison and wonderful things our spouses make. My son got the Christmas dinner deer with my Marlin 1894 when he was 13, but in years since he insists that a) real men hunt with bows, and b) leverguns aren't accurate enough to hunt with (...of course he also insists that his dad has too many guns....but always wants to borrow them... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s just Norma and I at home most every year, we cook a nice meal and shut the phone off.
Woke up this morn 5AM and the outdoor stove went out, -15 outside and 45 inside :roll: so out we went and started it .
All I can think about right now is the Lord and all He`s given us trials and all, sure hope the rest of the day goes better.
My tradition is to go for a woods walk on Christmas day. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Turkey is in the oven, pumpkin and pecan pie already on the sideboard. I've been to the garage to adjust an oven shelf. Had to get a bigger hammer. MIL and her new husband here. We opened gifts earlier so I'm wearing a new sweater. I'll make cornbread dressing with lots of sage and water chestnuts later. The kids are really quiet playing with their new gifts and dogs everywhere. 8 year old got a new puppy, German Shepherd and I think Husky. She makes 4 dogs in the house. We'll have cranberry sauce and candied yams as part of the feast.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

After my mom passed my eldest sister stepped into the void. So holidays are at her house with as many of the family as can gather. My nephew and his wife from Atlanta are here this year (a couple of days late as they were due to fly out the day of the fire). But my youngest sister is still recovering from neck surgery and won't make it. Hence her kids and grandkids are staying with her.

Add some cousins and their families and as many close friends as can be there and we usually have a crowd. Headed that way shortly (waiting on the wife to get ready :roll: ).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not being a big drinker, I always have something on Christmas in memory of my Grandfather. This being the 1st Christmas since Dad passed I decided to have one in their memory. I happened to find a bottle of VSOP way back in the cabinet. This bottle is probably as old as I am(48) or older! When I popped the cork half of it stuck in the neck, wasn't much left so I finished it in memory of Dad & Pop!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Starting over here too. We've both lost our Mom's in the last year and a half. Yesterday was a tough one but my beautiful wife went all out and we all had a wonderful day. We're pretty spread out across the country but my wife's boys and significant others were here along with my sister who's just moved home from Australia. It looks like our place will be the gathering point from here on but that's great with me. :D

Hope everyone had a great day!

jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

One of the things I would do at Christmas time when visiting the folks was to clean and oil my fathers guns. He did not use them much. One year I went to use one and they had some surface rust, that started the tradition. They were kept up stairs in the farm house spare bedroom. I would sit up their with my father away from some of the Christmas chaos and clean guns and talk. We come back down stairs smelling like Hoppes. He has been gone for 2 years now and his guns are now in my locker. They get regular attention but I still take them out and oil them over the Christmas holiday.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My Christmas traditions died with family. Now it's just another day. :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Christmas eve at my Mom's. Lots of Christmas activities with the family throughout the season. Each week between Christmas and New Year's my family and my brother's family go out to a local Japanese hibachi place (kind of our own take on "A Christmas Story".

We go to Mass Christmas Eve before the party at my Mom's. Christmas day is reserved to staying in our PJ's, opening gifts, eating pretty-much non-stop, and just being together as a family. The last is my favorite part... :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I think I may have to adjust out Christmas Day traditions.....
WAY TOO MUCH GOOD FOOD....REALLY GOOD FOOD TOO!
bet I gained a few pounds.....HAHA!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS