We need AOL help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

We need AOL help

Post by AmBraCol »

Several folks here are on AOL. Many of them seem to experience problems with the forum which appear to be related to refusal of cookies. I've no way to check out what would be necessary to do to enable cookies within AOL. So anyone have enough expertise in this area you can help us out? Other than suggesting another ISP that is. That's my first choice, but I'm a rebel and refuse to do things the way someone else tells me I have too - especially when it comes to the internet. I prefer free browsing rather than being pinned inside someone's idea of what the Internet should be. But I digress. If someone could send me instructions for ensuring that AOL accepts this forum's cookies I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
Last edited by AmBraCol on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AmBraCol,

We had AOL several years ago and they had a built in filter that could be set to filter out gun forums, and other things.
We had to go in and set it to let us browse freely. I can't remember how we had to do this, but it is in the AOL controls.

For a free browsing ISP may I suggest Outdoors Unlimited. They are a pro-gun, pro-hunting, pro-freedom organization that actually donates one dollar of your monthly fee to the pro-gun org of your choice.
http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/intro.html

Sorry I couldn't help more with AOL, but it's been a long time since I've used it.

Joe
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

AOL has been known to be anti gun for many years now. I wouldn't use there services for free. I'd suspect a lack of cooperation at minimum.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Pepe Ray wrote:AOL has been known to be anti gun for many years now. I wouldn't use there services for free. I'd suspect a lack of cooperation at minimum.
Pepe Ray
+1
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Pepe Ray wrote:AOL has been known to be anti gun for many years now. I wouldn't use there services for free. I'd suspect a lack of cooperation at minimum.
Pepe Ray
I've never used their services, nor do I expect to ever do so. However, I do figure folks ought to be able to choose for themselves. A certain website owner dropped me from moderation duties (and deepsixed my membership) because I also moderate a disc.server.com forum. Such high handed tactics should not be known amongst a civil society. Although I disagree with folks using AOL I will do my best to help them use this service. My best will NOT stoop to installing the software, but it WILL extend to asking for folks who know how it works to give some hints to other less computer literate people.

Above there's a suggestion for a more firearm friendly ISP. However not every part of the country has access to the same ISP's.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AmBraCol,

I am aware that not every ISP is everywhere. However Outdoors Unlimited is quite extensive. Here is the link to their local access number page:
http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/stateaccesslist.html

As for AOL, I do wish I could remember how to reset the personal choices.
The settings are in there, and it has nothing to do with AOLs political leanings.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I had AOL I bet I could figure it out. There's a "help" button on there somewhere!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:If I had AOL I bet I could figure it out. There's a "help" button on there somewhere!

Well, at least one would ASSUME so. Nothing I've heard about AOL makes me think much of the program or the company. I'd not put it past them to forget the "Help" button.

Of course, it's SO easy to ask rather than poke around in the Help files. Of course, I'd NEVER do that. No, not ME!!! :roll: :shock: :D :idea:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:lol: Me either. Asking for help is the refuge of last resort! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am on AOL. I guess the only reason I got back with them is because I got 6 months free, and I have local numbers. I am on dialup and choices seem limited. I used to be on MSN.com but they finally got real slow so I quite them. I tried some others and they were slow.

I don't know much about computers, but I found I could not register on here until I turned my popup blocker off and minimized my AOL and just used internet explorer. Then It works for me.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I had trouble viewing the confirmation code when registering so if you're having trouble with that:

Go to the tool bar at the top of the window and select "settings" then scroll down and select "popup control settings". Once there, at the right side of the window that popped up, select "allow web popups from these sites" and type in the leverguns refuge site address in the box below. Then Click on "add" and then "save".

That should do the trick or at least it did for me.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I was on AOL for years and the "service" got worse every year. I complained to "tech support" and got a canned response which had nothing to do with my complaint. I complained about that and you might be able to guess how she (the tech support rep who sent the first canned answer) handled that if you have AOL experience - she put a block on receiving any more email from me.

The decision to switch carriers was a no-brainer. I see by this morning's paper AOL is selling advertising because their subscribers are quitting by the thousands and AOL needs the income.

Businesses that ignore the customers get what they deserve.

:P
Last edited by OJ on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I used AOL until a month ago. I had similar problems. I called 1-888-346-3704 and they walked me thru a process that fixed it. I got AOL free for 6 months when I bought the new computer. I switched to DSL with another carrier.

BTW.......When I called AOL, telling them I was changing carriers, they offered to cut my rate to $9.95 a month if I would stay....I declined.
Reqards,
Windjammer
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a suggestion on how to fix everyones AOL problems as I too have the problem. Its not polite to say the wrong thing, so I will just be Hush Hush, and fix my problem quietly with a tip from Donald Trump.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

AOL is a virus.

It infiltrates your computer worse than Norton software, and takes a good while to find all the hidden files and get them deleted for good.

Any ISP is better than AOL.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein