"Why don't they fall" memories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

"Why don't they fall" memories

Post by crs »

Paco;
Thanks for another good article (I read these when I have a moment and that is not always just after they are posted).

Among your many handloading experiences, was a little gem with which I can relate and that is the use of the Speer jacketed soft hollow point .357 bullet in both the .357 pistol and rifle. Because my S&W M19 bucked a bit with bullets of 158 gr and heavier, my favorite hunting load was the Speer 146gr hollow point over a liberal dose of H110 (forgotten the actual load).
This was very accurate and effective. Then I tried it in my 1892 .357 SRC with a twenty inch barrel and it was extremely accurate and mild to shoot.
However, I learned the same way you did that this bullet exploded when it hit whitetails at rifle velocities; it was a real killer, but tore up a lot of meat in the process. Lesson learned, I changed to jacketed softpoints and remembered not to do that again.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/