The Mighty 71 (with pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

The Mighty 71 (with pics)

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

UPDATED: Sorry for the Zombie post but I wanted to fix my Photobucket links and the recent post by 450 Fuller made me remember that I had this old post up there with tons of broken pictures. Hopefully, they are fixed now. I couldn't get them all uploaded to the board due to some limit of 10 issue so I used Dropbox links. I've not taken it out shooing in some time but I may now that it's getting cooler out down here. I need to re-order a couple of boxes of the 400gr. Swift A-Frames, but I think I do have some of the 350gr. Speer plinkers I could load over some 3031. Yes, yes, I went an ruined a perfectly good 71 ... it was a lowly post-war short-tang though so not too big a loss. I promise not to bugger a pre-war or carbine at any future point. :) And "last Saturday" below was like 10 years ago so ... very old post.

I went shooting last Saturday with Duff L Bagg and Rihmfire at the new Strickland range near Daytona. Not knowing the facilities and wanting to reduce my cleaning time when finished, I just brought an HK 300 in 22 Mag and a 6" Diamondback in 22 L-R. Oddly enough, both rimfires.

Duff L Bagg and Rihmfire just about needed a frontloader to get their casual shootin' iron from the parking lot to the range. They had a fantastic number of levers and revolvers of various types. They had a lot of handloaded ammo as well. These guys were fantastic levergunners and let me touch off a few of their loads in their favorite rifles ... it was a great experience.

At this point, I think they became wary of my lurking on the Leverguns forum having shown up without a levergun. In fact, the only levers I have are 71's. I consider the 71 just about the pinnacle of the lever but I also have an eye toward 86's and 92's and their other offspring. I told the guys I would post photos of one of my favorite 71's. I still need to regulate the sights on this thing and Duff L Bagg says he will help me shoot and file when the time comes ... which is when it cools down a bit here.

Be forewarned ... I'm not the best photographer in the world. I tried different lighting and backgrounds to help show the gun but these pictures are far from perfect.

This particular 71 is a 1957 vintage standard and, of course, short tang. It had the Lyman side peep and was in pristine original condition. It spent over a decade in my safe and I never fired it ... nor did it look like it was ever fired still having a good bit of a reddish grease in the action and no marks on the loading gate or any of the wood. Here's the part where the collectors will want to have me taken out and shot ... :shock:

I sent it off and had it upgraded a tad. I plan on taking it out for Alaskan Brown Bear and Western Elk in the next couple of years. The following are pictures (best effort) of my Winchester 71 takedown in 348 Win and 450 Alaskan.

This shot is an angled photo of the left side of the recevier in an attempt to show the engraving. Showing the engraving on a case colored gun is apparently harder than one would think. The pattern is a modified Winchester No. 6 with a gold wire border. I hate the Ulrich bear in the Highly Finished Arms book so I asked for a more realistic bear scene ... versus the cartoonish Winchester version. Sorry, but this isn't meant to be historically correct ... ergo the word 'modified'. I wanted it to reflect my tastes as I will be using it and caring for it. The bear represents the target of the 450 Alaskan barrel. By the way ... can you find the two screws that should be on this side?

This same shot at a different angle shows the case colors. Also note the light engraving and gold wire on the hammer, lever, and takedown ring.

The right side of the receiver is broken into two photos to, again, try and show the engraving and scenes. This one shows off the back half of the receiver. I purposely didn't show the engraving scene just above the loading gate because that barrel hasn't been done yet. You may be able to make it out and determine what the third barrel will be.

This shot shows the Elk's head ... representing the target of the 348 barrel.

It's a bit dark, but this shot shows the two barrels. The 450 Alaskan is on the gun and is a 1/2 octagon - 1/2 round, no taper, at 20 inches. The 348 is the original 24 inch barrel. Both are rust blued.

The top of the recevier ... light, simple engraving. The bolt is charcoal blued.

Yes, I paid for the best of traditional walnut that I could get my hands on.

This is the left of the 450 forend. The wood checkering is style E from the Highly Finished Arms catalog. I prefer it to style F but it's not as ornate as the carved styles of A through D. The carved stuff is nice but over the top for me. Yes, that's a two leaf express sight ... the 450 barrel is for that close-in critical work with the big bears where coming on target in a hurry may be a necessity. The sight is from NECG. I'll probably regulate it for 50, 100, and 150 yards. Duff L Bagg will be filing on that thing. The engraving script that you can't quite make out on the 10 o'clock flat says "Cartridge by Harold Johnson, Cooper Landing, Alaska" ... I figured I should give credit where credit it due.

A bit blurry, but you get the idea. The sight is the short, unmarked 1886 carbine style. This is a Smith but I don't thing they make this short version any more. I need to regulate this sight as well and send it back to be engraved and inlayed.

Both forend caps are color cased and lightly engraved and rounded out in gold wire. Obviously it's a takedown magazine tube, also rust blued.

A shot of the color cased, lightly engraved skeleton grip cap. Don't you just love fine craftsmanship executed by hand versus the stuff turned out by machines? I wonder if a machine could have timed those screws?

Oh, I almost forgot ... the butt plate is an inletted skeleton job that's color cased and lightly engraved as well. Sorry about the glare. The inletting on that wood is tight as a gnat's butt.

So there you have it ... the favorite of my 71's. These are the only 12 photos that turned out anywhere near decent out of about 130 I shot. I downsized them to 800 by 600 but I'm not sure that's the proper size for the board as this is the first time I've done this. Perhaps I should have gone down to 640 by 480 but I won't really know until I press this 'preview' button. I hope everyone enjoyed the tour. Sorry about the download time if I overshot the mark on the pictures.

Any guesses on the third barrel I'm planning? Anyone wondering how long you have to give your rifle up to have something like this done?

Thanks. And thanks again to Duff L Bagg and Rihmfire for the shootin'.

Bill B.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful guns.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What a fantastic, beautiful gun, Bill. It is an absolute work of art and I don't EVEN want to know what you have in it.

If it was me, the third barrel would be in .50-110.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

That's a nice guess on the third barrel Mike ... but there's a twist. Those are flushing pheasant in that small panel. The third barrel is planned as a 50-110 smoothbore at 26" for 50-110 shotshells. I'm planning on having a rose crimper made for the 50-110 brass to facilitate easy feeding. Load them up to 28 or 32 gauge specs perhaps.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Outstanding!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Stunning! :D

That is one beautiful 71! May I ask who did the work?

Grizzly, what loves them 71s, Adams
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Grizzly, Turnbull Restoration in Bloomfield, NY did the work. Peter Koppman managed the project and did an excellent job.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful, breathtaking to say the least.
Old Law Dawg
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Rimfire Mc, That is the most beautiful M-71 I have ever seen. That truly is a work of art. You are a most lucky fellow to have such a rifle. Stunning!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Absolutely fantastic!

and tasteful! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Outstanding!! Beautiful!! Amazing!!

Thanks for the pics RM. I am swimming in awe and envy.

I was thinking, you may as well do a fourth barrel going the other way...how 'bout a heavy varmint barrel with scope blocks in....25-348 AI? Maybe a bit overbore but it would be a screamer.
Chad
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the comments ... it's been in the safe for a couple of years now and needs to get out and get shot. When I moved about 5 years ago I boxed up my reloading gear and have never unpacked it. I'm starting to get motivated though.

Would have to be a scout type scope I suppose. I hadn't thought about that one. There was a good thread recently with some pictures of people's LER type scopes on their levers.

I bet you could get 3500 or so out of a 25-348 AI.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Actually I was thinking of a vintage 20's or 30's era varmint scope, about 18 to 20 inches, maybe a 3/4" tube, 6x or so, scope blocks mounted on the barrel.....

I think a scout scope may clash with the theme you have going.

Now I have to go surfing around for a picture of such a scope.
Chad
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

That's OK ... you've made me go and look for the 25-348.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I've looked for all the 348 wildcats before and have been fairly unsuccessful. I've never seen any reference to the 25-348 but I'm sure someone out ther has tried it.

My quick calcs put an 87 grain pill at about 3,300 fps +/-.

When I've daydreamed about this before, I figured it would have to be a two-shot-only proposition so you could shoot spitzers. The mag has to have a plug in it to only accept one round.

So...you gonna do it ? :wink:
Chad
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I'm sure I'll do a 50-110 smoothbore. But a 25-348 sounds like a good idea. I've seen dies for 7mm-348.

Alternatively to 2 shots ... the magazine tube could have a helix rolled into it a'la the Remington 141 to keep the points off if the primers. The twists would be hidden under the forarm so no one would know.

There's also the LeverEvolution bullets from Hornady ... but it's not likely that they will be selling the bullets alone anytime soon and probably not ever in .25 caliber. Still ... it's nice to dream.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Unbelievaburgable !

That's easily the nicest upgrade, I've seen yet ! Which arm & leg did ya give fer her? :lol:
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

WOW, WOW, and WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing!!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You can come on over to Lakeland and shot that some time.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

How are the facilities in Lakeland? I had never been to the new Strickland range before and it turns out that it was a very nice setup. Packed to the gills though.

I usually shoot at the Seminole County Gun and Archery Association range out east of Sanford. I don't get down toward Lakeland very often. I hear though that Lakeland has some of the better gun shows.

Perhaps when Duff L Bagg and I are regulating the sights we can meet you somewhere ... bring your Dremel tool. :wink:
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rimfire;
Thanks for sharing the information and pictures of your beautiful rifle.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

That is the most georgeous '71 I ever laid eyes on!! Congratulations. -JDL
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

All I can say is "wow".

Chad
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I ran across this post again...

Again -- WOW

Chad
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

The rifle is beautiful. But are you really going to take it into the bush for hunting?You would put that in a scabbard on some crazy mountainhorse to hunt elk? And carry it through the alders and shin-tangle after a grizzly?I'd be handling that beauty with cotton gloves in a room with a padded floor, in case it were to somehow succomb to gravity and hit the ground. I look forward to seeing it with a critter it's killed.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But,,,,, will it ever see the field??? :?:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

WOW!!! :shock: :shock:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

SPEECH LESS :shock: :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That was a fun weekend!
And Boys....This gun is just absolutely a beauty.
Well balanced and a dream to shoot....
Recoil on this baby ....was like a 30-06...maybe a bit more..

Rimfire McNutjob, we have to get out and shoot again...
and maybe go to a gun show...
Orlando show and Lakeland shows are coming up

Apr 19-20 Deland, Volusia County Fairgrounds, Florida Gun Show

Apr 19-20 Lakeland, Civic Center, Sat 9-5, Sun 9-4 Lakeland Gun Club
This is a very good show...but I going to camp this weekend ,Sat..

I will probably go to this one
May 17-18 Orlando, Central Fl Fairgrounds, Southern Classic Gun & Knife
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

It will see the field ... perhaps not as soon as I would like though. Let's face it, there are not a lot of Elk wandering through the woods of Central Florida. The only thing I have worthy in my area is a very large and regular Black Bear that enjoys Sunday and Thursday evening treats when it tears open my garbage cans. And no, Florida is not presently handing out special "suburban" bear tags these days.

My last deer around here was under 100lbs dressed out and I was lucky to get it ... not exactly requiring a 71 in 348. It jumped in front of me and stared me down as I was walking out of the woods on the last day of the season a few years back. It was all of a 10yard shot with a BAR Lightweight in 270 at the time. The Swift A-frame entered it's chest and was recovered in its hind quarter with a fully peeled front and completely intact rear section.

The cost of a guided Elk hunt out west seems to have steadily risen to the point where it's a serious undertaking. As I understand it, just the out of state tag is nearly $900. Brown Bear, in Alaska, has always been a once in a lifetime type of endeavor. Given the state of the economy, in my house anyway, I'm not predicting that I'll be doing either in 2008.

I'm sure I will eventually get around to it though. There has been recent talk of a drive out to Texas to visit 86er about a Bison and/or a hog. Perhaps that's something I could swing in the near future. Also, he has those Black Bear hunts up in Eastern Canada I believe.

In the mean time, I still have to file the sights on the 450 barrel. The 348 sights seem to be spot on but I need to mark them out to 200 and 300yds. I took it out and exercised it with RIHMFIRE and Duff L Bagg a couple of weekends back. There are some pictures of us shooting it in another thread somewhere.

What it currently needs though is that 50-110 shotshell barrel so it can be used on Turkey around here. Several hens took a walk on my dock out to the lakeside yesterday ... probably ate some of the fish pellets my kids tend to spill on the dock.

I'm on for the Orlando show whenever you guys want to go. It's a decent show but I usually only go once a year. You end up seeing the same guns over and over so it gets tedious if I go more often. The big Lakeland show is another matter altogether. I thought the big one is next on in November but maybe it is this weekend ... I need to check. Maybe Rusty would know for sure if this weekend is the big Lakeland show.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

reviewing those pics and I think I am more impressed the second time around. Just WOW :shock:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Wow! I finally checked out this thread, and am I glad I did! Rimfire, they don't get any more beautiful that that. Those are amazing. Thanks for posting and treating the rest of us to some outstanding rifles.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Superb! 1886.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

+1 What KirkD said
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I contacted Turnbull one time, asked about Case coloring my model 71 reciever, re-blueing the rest. Minimum of 3000 dollars for that, plus more if anything needed a little tweak. It shoots like a dream, and still looks nice as is, I stopped after the inquiry. But I am stunned and impressed at the beauty of your rifle, and know it had to cost several thousands. It's worth it for that model rifle though, IF----you have it .
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Sincerely, thanks so much for sharing the pics of a truly beautiful, one of a kind 71!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I owned a .348 for 3 years. Bought it in '73 for $200. and sold it in '77 for $350. It had no checkering or other odornments.

I used the $350. to buy a couple revolvers and took a cute redhead to a REO Speeedwagon concert. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :(

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

McNutjob,
Talk about a "barbecue rifle"!!!! I was extremely impressed with the quality of the work and yes, you are modest in your own personal description of your ability to take pictures. They look first class to me.
In fact, I have gone back several times to look at them.

You have been holding out on us. You deprived us (at least me) of the pleasure of seeing a true work of art. Very nice, very nice-----Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote:McNutjob,
Talk about a "barbecue rifle"!!!!
Is that anything like a "Cat Rifle"? :wink: Is 348 too much for cat? Come to think of it, can cat be barbecue'd?
Sixgun wrote: You have been holding out on us.
I had forgotten that this thread was posted here until a couple of months back when someone PM'd me about it. I thought it was back on the old board. I think some people missed it because it was posted back when both boards were up at the same time.

You'd think I would at least take the time to fix some of the grammar errors in that old post. :oops:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:You'd think I would at least take the time to fix some of the grammar errors in that old post. :oops:
Part of the beauty of pictures -- no grammar to correct!

And I musta missed this the last time around. I saw the pics from when ya'll were at the range, but missed these. That is truly a work of art.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As far as 'offending the collectors' - unless you have an irreplaceable one-of-a-kind item that is a vital piece of history, I figure it is YOURS to enjoy how ever you want.

Box and frame it. Sell it. Shoot it. Even Customize it.

Granted, if you were going to do so much work to it that all you'd really needed was the receiver, and any old one would do - get a cheap one and sell the 'good' one to a collector to fund your project.

Look at it from the gun's viewpoint :roll: - you think it wants to sit in a safe all the time and have people look at it once in awhile and admire it (maybe saying "I'll bet it would shoot as good as it looks") or do you think it wants to be worked with, modified, shot, and so on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote:... or do you think it wants to be worked with, modified, shot, and so on.
I think it enjoyed loosening the cartilage in my right shoulder joint a couple of weekends back. :wink:
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Old Time Hunter wrote:All I can say is WOW! Beautiful guns.
:shock: :shock: DITTOS!! :shock: :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Mighty 71 (with pics)

Zombie post for updated Photobook links. Are they kidding with that $399 a year deal for picture links?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm done with PhotoSuckit....

Man I'd forgotten about those pics.....Thanks fer re-posting them......BEAUTIFUL gun....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's what I call "a post of substance".......I remember that from back in the day and what beautiful craftsmanship.

Did ya ever get around to shooting it?----6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thank you for reposting, beautiful workmanship, artistry at it's best........... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Just beautiful is not adequate to describe it :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome, if I had that I`d walk into a tree because I couldn`t take my eyes of the rifle. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Truly a fine rifle. I'd still like to know if it has been blooded.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS