Best Rifle Revolver Combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Best Rifle Revolver Combo

Post by HEAD0001 »

For deer hunting, fun shooting, and all around great combo. Which is the better combo. Probably a single shot rifle and a Ruger BH revolver. 44 Magnum or 45 Colt?? Tom.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Best Rifle Revolver Combo

Post by AJMD429 »

The Marlin 1894 .44 Mag rifle my son used to take his first deer (a huge 10-pointer) when he was 13 years old, and the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag I used to take my first deer (a medium doe), make a really nice 'classic' Combo proven for whitetails, and just plain fun to shoot.

Since I had to give him the .44 Magnum above (prize for first deer = gun you borrowed from dad to do it), naturally I had to replace it with a Marlin 1894-SS, which I really like, despite the 'shiny-ness'. It goes with the Ruger Redhawk, a graduation gift I got when I finished medical school. So, those are MY "combo" guns for whitetail.

HOWEVER - I really am beginning to like this .44 Magnum Ruger 96/44 levergun ALOT...!
(I've gone into some of the reasons on other posts, as to why I prefer it to the Marlin or Rossi in some ways...)

Maybe it could be 'buddies' with the Super Blackhawk now, and my son will just have to save up and get his own .44 Revolver... :wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

HEAD0001 wrote:For deer hunting, fun shooting, and all around great combo. Which is the better combo. Probably a single shot rifle and a Ruger BH revolver. 44 Magnum or 45 Colt?? Tom.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm kind of partial to my Rossi and OM Blackhawk 357's.

NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably an 88 Win and a 22 pistol.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Come on guys. 44 Magnum or 45 Colt?? Tom.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

45 LC
I've had many times my 44 and 45LC side by side shooting and I just don't care for full power 44 loads from a short barrel pistol and yet I just love shootin 250 gr. w/ max loads of h110 out of my 45's
So when I got a yern to get an 1894 it had to be 45 and it was the right choice
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry, I didn't realize you were only looking at the 44 or 45. On paper the 45 would probably have the advantage if you handload them hot, but in reality there's not enough difference in them to worry about. The deer you shoot sure wouldn't know the difference. Just pick your favorite.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I might lean towards a Marlin 1894C or Browning 92 or Rossi 92 in .357 mag and a .22 LR revolver. Would be great in the eastern U.S.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH wrote:Sorry, I didn't realize you were only looking at the 44 or 45. On paper the 45 would probably have the advantage if you handload them hot, but in reality there's not enough difference in them to worry about. The deer you shoot sure wouldn't know the difference. Just pick your favorite.
Yep
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably the 44 if you don't handload because 45 Colt is almost unavailable at least around here. But hand loaded they are very similar.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

44 mag!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Maybe .45 Colt handgun / .454 Casull levergun is the best combo. Here is why -

I considered the same thing a while ago - a combo that would fire the same bullet, as with the old .44-40 round back before cowboys carried cell phones on horseback. But I was less than impressed with the versatility of .44 Mag heavy rounds for that purpose. My research indicated a very narrow range of variance allowed in loads for both the rifle and handgun.

Here I have created a spreadsheet with data copied directly from my Hornady (6th Edition) and Speer (#13) manuals for a 300 gr 44 Magnum load for pistol and rifle. The spreadsheet demonstrates that there is only an average of .9 grain leeway allowed in each load with the same 300 gr. round!

That is, because of the minimum and maximum limits of a pistol versus a rifle load, you either load too light or too heavy for either the pistol or the rifle unless your loads are within a range of .9 of a grain either way, on an average! Of course, the implication is that (according to the manuals) your bullet will either stick in the rifle or blow up the pistol. I realize that the manuals are written conservatively; but then again I for one won't "hot dog" the loads too much.

See attached spreadsheets below:
Within the powder choices afforded above, you can see that AA#9 and 2400 have the best range for both tables.

I will next be looking into combo loads for the .45 Colt with the RCBS 270 SAA bullet, although there is not yet a lot of load data (with the various powders) available. The bullet is reportedly easy to cast, widely available (I have some on order, now), and with the right load should be able to handle deer, bruin, or marauding 2 legged vermin with no problem at all. I suspect that with the larger diameter and lower pressures required, I will be able to match up a round with rifle and six-shooter more easily.

The moral of this story - you might want to find a round that you like and run it through the manuals to see what the pistol and rifle loads allow, before purchasing a combo firearm set.

That is what I plan to do; but it looks so far like the .45 caliber is the winner for true pistol/rifle combos. For me, I like the idea of the .454 Casull levergun for the rifle to match the .45 Colt revolver. The rifle can handle most any .45 round and add some heavier Casulls for other purposes, without the danger of one's inserting high pressure rounds into the smaller Colt cylinder. And, bottom line, you should be able to carry just one round that works well in both, but with higher velocities when shot in a longer tube. At least, that seems to make the most sense to me.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JohndeFresno wrote:Maybe .45 Colt handgun / .454 Casull levergun is the best combo.
I kind of agree.

Ironically, I have a .454 Casull Rossi (I bought it when I just really, really HAD to have a stainless levergun, and couldn't lay my hands on a Marlin 1894ss), which 'will do' for a heavier-than-Colt load shooter, but my ONLY revolver in .45 Colt is a Redhawk, which isn't something I'd feel obliged to go 'gentle' with, load-wise. I keep reading you shouldn't 'push' the Rossi in .454 Casull, so the 'spread' of my actual guns isn't as great as the 'spread' potential of those cartridges, but I do like the concept.

Oddly enough, if one had a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, and maybe a Marlin .45 Colt, you would be reserving your 'heavy' loads for your handgun!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AJMD429 wrote:...I keep reading you shouldn't 'push' the Rossi in .454 Casull, so the 'spread' of my actual guns isn't as great as the 'spread' potential of those cartridges, but I do like the concept...
My thoughts along these lines are this:
A good stout gun like the New Model Blackhawk can deal with 20,000 psi + loads; and any .454 Casull rifle will handle at least factory level rounds in that caliber plus the .45 Colt loads at more fps and therefore more range and power than most hunters would usually care to stuff into a handgun.

BTW, Doc, I see what you mean about the Redhawk holding stiff loads (ref. another thread). Since it is not generally named among the safe guns to shoot stouter loads in the "Ruger Only" section of most manuals, I discounted it as a safe .45 for heavy loads. In researching that firearm further, I stand corrected. That Redhawk seems to be a good choice; but I still love the ability to fire .45 ACP's with the same platform. And besides, everbody needs at least one cowboyish handgun!! :P
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I thought about the 45 Colt-454 Cassul. But decided against it. And probably not for any real good reason. But here is why.

I have been hunting a long time(not as long as some of you). And I want to go back to making things simple. And just enjoy hunting and shooting, and not being so concerned about shooting the biggest or the best. Just getting out there because it is what I want to do. I just don't care what other people think any more. If I decide to shoot a 5 point or let him walk I want to make that decision.

So my goal here is to make things simple. I am going to buy a new progressive press and set it up for one load. One load for both rifle and revolver. One load for all my fun shooting. One load for all my deer hunting. So I just want to keep it simple. Probably hard for some to understand-but what the heck. One good quality mold, and one lead pot(not six).

All that plus I really believe one of those two cartridges will do all I will ever need. I am still going to keep one of my good quality 30-06's with the new fangled Swarovski scope on top for some deer hunting And I can handle all that reloading on a single stage press. Along with my 22-250 varmint rifle(and 223). So get ready to see some nice firearms for sale real soon. I am taking all the proceeds and building a cabin in Webster Springs, WV, for a fun place to go. Just a few miles from Sutton Lake and a 4-wheeler ride from the Elk River. What else could a man ask for?? Oh ya-lots and lots of black bear and deer in the area!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Tom.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I am partial to my WWG M1895 stainless CoPilot and my 10" 45-70 BFR
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have lever-gun/single-action pairings in .45-70, 44mag, and 357, but I'm partial to the .45-70 just because they're a hoot to shoot. I just bought another .45-70 BFR (7.5" this time) so I guess I'm gonna have to buy another .45-70 lever-gun to go with it - maybe another Marlin 1895CB. Need to keep things balanced. :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Well, HEAD0001, it looks like you convinced me through this thread that my next long arm needs to be the Rossi Model 92 in .454 Casull.

Handloader Issue #246 - April/May, 2007 shows 10 gr. Unique pushing the RCBS 45-270-SAA pistol load at 1,057 fps (20,000 cup); or you can push way up to 1,387 using 25.0 gr. H-110 (32,000 cup). The article is online as of the time of this posting in this partial issue display:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/P ... artial.pdf

I am considering 9 or 10 gr. Unique as a hunting load for rifle and pistol with this 280 gr. sledgehammer. Of course, the heavy action on the levergun can withstand these warm .45 loads, and its longer barrel should make for an extended range for game presenting itself under 100 yards.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know,I have to be different :oops:

First one Its a 6" 9 shot top break revolver, 999 H&R .22 cal Sportsman.
And for the Rifle(its not quite a rifle, but a 20" Ithaca Deerslayer.
Why---Cause Its a fantastic woods deer gun/great upland bird gun/and shoots skeet wonderfully.(Fun)
But if I cant count that,it's the Colt AR15 Match HBAR(fun for everything and with the 69 grainers and a legal 5 shot mag for deer where I hunt deer,its very fun also! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cowboytutt shoots the 454 in a 92 - one of his favorites.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:Sorry, I didn't realize you were only looking at the 44 or 45. On paper the 45 would probably have the advantage if you handload them hot, but in reality there's not enough difference in them to worry about. The deer you shoot sure wouldn't know the difference. Just pick your favorite.
Ditto!

I'm going to say it depends on the ranges you anticipate and the strength of the actions you select. I just see a lot more choices in the .45 Colt, both in arms and bullet selection, if you handload. About all I see of 44 bullets range from 180 to 240 if you don't cast. In the .45 you can go as lw as 160 up to 325.

IMO, that equals versatility. And I happen to like versatility...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

It sounds like the consensus is for the 45 Colt. I am kind of glad you guys think this way. I Really wanted to keep my Low Wall in 45 Colt. I think I am going to order a new7-1/2" Bisley on Monday and send it to Mr. Munden for a little tuning. Then I am going to order a new Hornady LNL for the 45 Colt if I can figure out the issue I am having with the crimping die(pretty sure I can). Thanks guys. Please no one recommend the FA in 45 Colt-I would really like to have that instead, but you know how money can be. And I can put a whole water system in our new cabin for the price difference. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Life is good, thanks guys, Tom.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

45 colt is my preferred now. I have been converted since being on this forum. Use to think .429 mag was THE cartridge. I just didn't realize how wrong a person could be. :wink:

between the two, .45 colt is all over it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My conversion has happened here also. I have always been a fan of the 44, and still like the 44 special very much.
However, after getting my first 45 Colt Cimarron 5 1/2" I would have to say, I see what Y'all are raving about with the 45 Colt.
"I am a believer"
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another one that "depends" on what you will ask of them. A pair of .22's are great for small game and hours of cheap fun. A pair of .44's or .45's can be wonderful for deer-size game or human predators. Maybe the best compromise is a pair of .357 Magnums.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Tough to go wrong with the .44.

From mice to moose :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Can't go wrong with either one - there is no actual question here.

Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

I have a habit of finding short-guns to go along with all my long-guns. This may not the best (the photo isn't, that's for sure), but I like this particular .45 Colt levergun/sixgun combo...

USRA pre-crossbolt safety 94AE & a USFA Rodeo...

Combo's....ya gotta love 'em!!!

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

I like combos also. Mine are in 357.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Since I don't own any 45s (gasp) :shock: I'll need to mix and match my combo from the 44mags. :D

regards

3T
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

3T,
bottom center hand cannon, tell me more about it - thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Mike,

Here is the link to a post talking about it.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ts#p212914

It is a sweet shooter!
regards

3T
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

AJMD429 wrote:The Marlin 1894 .44 Mag rifle my son used to take his first deer (a huge 10-pointer) when he was 13 years old, and the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag I used to take my first deer (a medium doe), make a really nice 'classic' Combo proven for whitetails, and just plain fun to shoot.

Since I had to give him the .44 Magnum above (prize for first deer = gun you borrowed from dad to do it), naturally I had to replace it with a Marlin 1894-SS, which I really like, despite the 'shiny-ness'. It goes with the Ruger Redhawk, a graduation gift I got when I finished medical school. So, those are MY "combo" guns for whitetail.

HOWEVER - I really am beginning to like this .44 Magnum Ruger 96/44 levergun ALOT...!
(I've gone into some of the reasons on other posts, as to why I prefer it to the Marlin or Rossi in some ways...)

Maybe it could be 'buddies' with the Super Blackhawk now, and my son will just have to save up and get his own .44 Revolver... :wink:
OR, maybe you could purchase a Redhawk in blue to go with the 96/44! That way, you won't p off the boy.:P While you're at it, try the RH with 5.5" barrel. Think you'll like it.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

3T, thought I remembered reading about it. thanks for the link. very nice and classy!!
Mike Johnson,

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:HOWEVER - I really am beginning to like this .44 Magnum Ruger 96/44 levergun ALOT...!

Despite the fact that I like shooting day in/day out, with a .357 lever gun much more than a .44 mag, I simply have to admit that the .44 mag combo makes a nearly unbeatable set. If you reload the .44 mag with Trail Boss or something similar to gin up some cowboy loads it's just as sweet shooting as any other mild round yet you preserve your ability to reach for Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon heavy hitters if your guns can handle them. It's just way too handy not to get my vote despite the fact that I've personally gone the .357 or .45 Colt route. I hope that makes sense!

And for the record, I like the barrel band on the Ruger!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

.44 Mag...in a Trapper and a BH, cause I can use 'em in a pinch in my .444 Timber Carbine