Info on the 1873 Uberti/Cimarron

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tkcomer
Levergunner

Info on the 1873 Uberti/Cimarron

Post by tkcomer »

How are these guns? Looking to get one with the pistol grip stock and want to hear and pros and cons on this gun. How are the triggers? Are they very accurate? Any info would be appreciated.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Info on the 1873 Uberti/Cimarron

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I HAVE 2 UBERTIS....BUT THEY ARE NOT FROM CIMARRON
EMF AND STOEGER.....BUT THEY ARE VERY SIMILAR....
FIT AND FINISH... AWESOME
TRIGGER PULL....BOTH ON HEAVY SIDE...TYPICAL OF UBERTI
ACCURACY.....I AM BENCH SHOOTING 2" GROUPS AT 50 YARDS...
STILL HAVE NOT THE PERFECT LOAD FOR EITHER.....45LC AND 44-40

UBERTIS ARE TOP QUALITY GUNS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I have one in 32-20, 1 inch groups at 88 yards (tree to tree). Do get the pistol grip they are really pretty and worth the extra money.

Mack
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

I've always wanted a classy gun. I'm looking at either the Uberti Special Sporting Short or the Cimarron Texas Brush Popper. Can't make up my mind if I want the 18 or 20 inch barrel. That and the caliber. I load for 357, but the 45 Colt would be fun. I just hate to start all over in a new caliber. I've “heard” the Cimarron uses better wood, but since I'd have to order the gun, I don't know for sure. I'd be buying it sight unseen. Are the triggers that hard to lighten up? I was able to get kits from Mr. Nate Jones to lighten up my Rossi's. He has a great video on those guns.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIHMFIRE wrote: UBERTIS ARE TOP QUALITY GUNS
+1 :D
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

UBERTIS ARE TOP QUALITY GUNS

Agreed, I've got one of their 1860 engraved Henry's in .44-40 , made very well, excellent wood & sights, and a tack driver out to 100 yds.
Good manufacturer, just wish I could afford the real thing , Haaa !
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

I have a Uberti '73 in 44-40 from Cabela's with the 30" barrel, and it's one of my favorite rifles. Wood to metal fit is as good as anything in my cabinet, and the wood is pretty too. With my handloads (smokeless), it will put five shots into around an inch at 75 yards, with all the holes touching. Haven't tried black powder yet; don't know what's gotten into me!!!

The trigger on mine was excellent from the factory; feels like around 3 1/2 pounds and crisp. That said, I have a Uberti '76 that had the worst trigger I've ever had on any of my guns. This was an easy enough fix, though. I literally just got home about twenty minutes ago from visiting Cody Conagher's gunsmithing shop with my '76, and he had the pull down to 3 1/2 pounds in about fifteen minutes. Cost was forty five bucks, so I wouldn't let any concerns over the trigger pull keep you from picking up a beautiful, accurate rifle.

Have fun with your new gun. Whatever you choose, I really don't think you can go wrong. Can you tell I'm a big fan of Uberti lever guns?
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

Are the barrels on these guns pretty much in spec? I shoot a lot of store bought cast bullets through my Rossis and Winchesters. The 44 mag Rossi needs .431 bullets but the .357 Rossi is spot on. The 30-30 bullets I get for the Winchesters are too hard, but they shoot fine. Just a little more cleaning to do. Since I “hear” these guns can't take a steady diet of full power loads, I'm inclined to go with the 357 gun. I can load slow with Unique or Trail Boss.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

I can only speak for my one '73, which as I mentioned is in 44-40, but I've fed it a steady diet of store bought Meister 200 grain .428 bullets over a modest charge of Unique, and it does extremely well. According to all the books, .428 is right on the money for this calibre, so I assume it's spot on. Gotta admit though, I've never slugged the barrel.
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

Thanks for all the info. The more I stare at the pics of these guns, the more I'm inclined to go with the 20" barrel. A little longer site radius probably won't hurt either.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two Uberti rifles, a 1986 prduction 1873 and a late production 1860 Henry, both in .45 Colt. Both are more accurate than I am. I have heard of NO out-of-spec barrel issues with Uberti rifles as I have with the .44Magnum or .38-55.

I wouldn't worry about the "handle a steady diet" of factory or SAAMI spec reloads. Uberti has announced their 1873 rifle in .44Magnum. I don't think they would do that unless they felt it was capable of handling a diet of factory ammo. The only case where I heard of a Uberti that "shot loose" was a case of frame stretch in an 1866 clone that was used in cowboy action shooting for several years and then sold and used by another shooter. The 1873s with their steel frame haven't earned any such rep. If there has been a case, I'd strongly suspect the shooter of using HOT handloads.

As far as barrel length, the determining factor, for me, would be magazine capacity. The Texas Brush Popper in .45 Colt is on my list of "needed" guns... it's just too cool.

Edited to clarify/correct:
Driftwood Johnson wrote:
Griff
Was that 1886 clone or an 1866 clone that streched the frame? I would be rather suprised if an 1886 clone did it.
Howdy again
I'm sure Griff meant a 1866. The 1886 is not a SASS legal main match rifle, it would only be suitable for long range side matches. Much more likely a brass framed yellowboy had its frame stretched. Yes, it can happen, see my previous post.
Aye, a '66! My proofreading skills strike again. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Griff on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I was lucky enough to snag a Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle several years ago.....pistolgrip buttstock; 24" octagon barrel; & .45 Colt caliber. Put a Lyman globe front & a Marble's tang peep rear sight on it. It's a work of art, & shoots great, too! You can't go wrong with Uberti! jd45
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I have one in 44WCF its superb both to look at and to shoot. Traditional grip with 24 inch octagonal barrel and original sights, they work fine for me out to 200yds. Trigger untouched from new breaks at a shade over 4lbs.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Griff wrote:I have two Uberti rifles, a 1986 prduction 1873 and a late production 1860 Henry, both in .45 Colt. Both are more accurate than I am. I have heard of NO out-of-spec barrel issues with Uberti rifles as I have with the .44Magnum or .38-55.

I wouldn't worry about the "handle a steady diet" of factory or SAAMI spec reloads. Uberti has announced their 1873 rifle in .44Magnum. I don't think they would do that unless they felt it was capable of handling a diet of factory ammo. The only case where I heard of a Uberti that "shot loose" was a case of frame stretch in an 1886 clone that was used in cowboy action shooting for several years and then sold and used by another shooter. The 1873s with their steel frame haven't earned any such rep. If there has been a case, I'd strongly suspect the shooter of using HOT handloads.

As far as barrel length, the determining factor, for me, would be magazine capacity. The Texas Brush Popper in .45 Colt is on my list of "needed" guns... it's just too cool.

Griff
Was that 1886 clone or an 1866 clone that streched the frame? I would be rather suprised if an 1886 clone did it.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

I have an 1860 Henry and an 1873. Both are chambered for 44-40. Uberti specifies .429 as the rifling groove diameter for 44-40. I have slugged both of my rifles, the Henry is .429, however the '73 is .427. I got the '73 first and used to shoot .427 bullets in it. It actually did fine with .427, .428, and .429. However the chamber is slightly tight, and the .429 bullets would make the rounds a little bit sticky to chamber. When I got the Henry with its .429 rifling, I bumped my standard load up to .428. These do fine in both rifles. Even though .428 is slightly undersized for a .429 barrel, I am shooting Black Powder with dead soft pure lead bullets, so they are probably bumping up in the bore.

Cimarron likes to say that their guns are a better quality, but they all come off the same production line. After they are made, the individual markings get stamped on them. they are all the same. Go with whoever has the best price. I bought my Henry from Dixie Gunworks because it was on special for $200 off the list price.

Uberti guns all look terrific on the outside. But every one that I have ever been inside, rifles or revolvers, has rough machining marks on the parts as well as burrs that should have been removed at assembly. Uberti runs their CNC equipment at top speed to make to keep up with demand, and burrs and rough finishes are the result. However this is generally more critical in a revolver than a rifle. The designs of the rifles are more tolerant of rough finishes than revolvers.

In his book Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West, Mike Venturino describes a brass framed 44-40 Henry that had its headspacing ruined by a few rounds of high powdered ammo. All Italian guns are proofed in government proof houses. They are fine as long as you stay with SAAMI spec ammo. But don't mess with more powerful ammo. Yes, brass frames can stretch. Even with steel framed rifles, the toggle link design is just not up to high pressure loads.

Yes, Uberti has announced a 44 Mag version of the '73, but it has not appeared yet. I will hold off judgement until they actually produce one. Until then, you would not catch me shooting 44 Mag ammo in a toggle link gun. A Winchester '92 or a Marlin '94, yes, but not a toggle link gun.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Griff
Howdy again

I'm sure Griff meant a 1866. The 1886 is not a SASS legal main match rifle, it would only be suitable for long range side matches. Much more likely a brass framed yellowboy had its frame stretched. Yes, it can happen, see my previous post.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

Looks like everyone is running the"big bores". At what speed are you pushing those bullets?
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Yes, Uberti has announced a 44 Mag version of the '73, but it has not appeared yet. I will hold off judgement until they actually produce one. Until then, you would not catch me shooting 44 Mag ammo in a toggle link gun. A Winchester '92 or a Marlin '94, yes, but not a toggle link gun.
Has anyone shot the 44 special version of these Uberti/Cimmeron guns? That would be my first choice.
regards

3T
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tkcomer wrote:Looks like everyone is running the"big bores". At what speed are you pushing those bullets?
My .45 Colt 225gr TC CAS loads are ~860fps (chrono'd); and factory ammo is about 1100fps outta my 24-¼" 1873 (calculated).
3T wrote:
Has anyone shot the 44 special version of these Uberti/Cimmeron guns? That would be my first choice.
I don't think they've produced a .44Spl version. Leastways I don't recall hearing of one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

Their web site doesn't show a 44 special for the '73 models. Just 357, 44-40, 45 Colt and a couple of models in 44 mag. Seems like a 44 mag would be hard on this gun. But that's what I really want. I load really light loads for my Rossi. Wife even likes 'em.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

http://www.ubertireplicas.com/lever-1873sport.php

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... 3Rifle.htm

Here are the links to the 44 specials, I wonder if they just did not make it out of production or maybe not imported here yet?
regards

3T
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3T wrote:http://www.ubertireplicas.com/lever-1873sport.php
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... 3Rifle.htm
Here are the links to the 44 specials, I wonder if they just did not make it out of production or maybe not imported here yet?
Humph! Guess I shoulda paid closer attention! Never registered before! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!