OT - Nary a Lever, But a Lb. of BP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - Nary a Lever, But a Lb. of BP

Post by Griff »

and an ANVIL... Shootin' Anvils.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Nary a Lever, But a Lb. of BP

Post by 3t- »

dog gone that would leave a mark :lol:
regards

3T
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow,Thats cool,but I don't want to be pullin that sucker out of wet or muddy ground. :shock: :lol: . on the same link is a Classic I have never seen. Thanks Griff.
http://www.coolestone.com/media/292/Rob ... ican-Flag/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

4th of July celebration in South Pass City, Wyoming every year includes an anvil shoot. Too cool. :)
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That is cool. I never seen or heard of anvil shooting before.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That looks like fun, but I sure wouldn't want to do that here in IL. The Park Police (yes there is a law enforcement agency called Park Police) would bust you for property damage.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

At the Museum of Appalachia here, they shoot anvils several times during their 4th of July celebration. If you're ever in East Tennessee, you might want to stop in there. From their website:

"You’ll be celebrating the day with an explosion of sound that pioneers heard thunder through the hills when they celebrated Independence Day. Folks as far as 15 miles away have reported hearing our Anvil Shoot, and certainly everyone gathered for the excitement feels the earth shake under their feet.

Anvil shooting used to be a fairly common way that rural folks celebrated special events--they "shot the anvil" to celebrate the nation’s Independence, Christmas, and even Davy Crockett’s election to the U.S. Congress. A few years ago, two men, each more than 100 years old, watched the Museum’s anvil shoot and recalled this tradition from their early boyhood.

So shooting the anvil has come to be the highlight of the Museum's fabulous July 4th Celebration. Along with the big boom several times during the day, there are patriotic ceremonies and lots of music—the old-time mountain music and folk tunes of the Southern Appalachian Mountains.

Activities run from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., starting with the opening ceremony and anvil shoot. A replica of the Liberty Bell is rung precisely at 2 p.m. in conjunction with the National Bell Ringing Ceremony. The Sons of the Revolution will raise the Liberty Pole, commemorating the colonial spirit that protested British rule.

Mountain skills will be demonstrated, ranging from rail-splitting, basket-making, whittling, sheep herding, quilting, spinning, blacksmithing, and more. The old-time circular sawmill will be in operation, and Ruby Patterson will play the role of Betsy Ross sewing our nation’s first flag.

Tasty summertime treats will be available, including Tennessee barbeque and hot fruit cobblers baked over the coals in Dutch ovens, homemade ice cream, sassafras tea freshly brewed over a fire, and freshly squeezed lemonade.

The Museum is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., so July 4th visitors will have ample time to tour the extensive village-farm complex with dozens of historic log structures, display buildings filled with authentic Appalachian artifacts, gardens surrounded by split rail fences, and farm animals in a traditional setting. The Hall of Fame offers a portrait of the Appalachian people, both famous and not-so-famous—and these exhibits may be enjoyed in air-conditioned comfort."

http://www.museumofappalachia.org/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Very neato but................being the self-conscience person I am about the law and the Fed's, etc....ain't that like making a bomb? :wink:

I have a few anvils around here. I usually carry one in the Jeep with me. Great for throwing out the window at small cars when they flip you the bird, etc.

No, no...just a joke. :D But anyway, back to the anvil thing...It does make an explosion and shoots a projectile, if you want to call it that.---------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I think I just found a new hobby. I have got to try this.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Never seen "Sweet Home Alabama"????
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is neat :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................