Bisley

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Bisley

Post by HEAD0001 »

Why has the Bisley(Ruger) become so popular?? Why do alot of you guys consider it better in the 45 Colt?? Thanks, Tom.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Bisley

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think some folks consider it more condusive to precision shooting, and others thing it handles recoil better. Others still, no doubt, want something different. I, myself, like the ol' plowhandle of the SAA best...
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

+1 on what the Ysabel Kid said. I have 7 single action revolvers but I want a Bisley just because it is different-and I think it looks cool. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The Ruger Bisley gripframe is more comfortable and controllable when firing heavy recoiling ammo (44 Mag and hot 45 Colt) than the standard gripframe. It doesn't matter much with standard loads (44 SP, 44-40, 45 Colt/ACP).

I have a brace of Vaqueros in 44 Magnum and I think the recoil with Magnum loads is ferocious. Cowboy and Special loads are great though. I shot some hot (~1200fps) 300 grain loads in my Dad's Bisley Vaquero in 45. Recoil was still heavy but the gun didn't twist in my hands and slam the triggerguard into my fingers like with my standard handle Vaqueros.

Lastly, I don't know that it is betterin 45 Colt, but it is an excellent choice. So is 44 Magnum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I personally like a S&W revolver grip the best. I have always had a problem shooting a SSA style grip with any degree of accuracy. The Bisley grip seems close enough to a S&W style grip to allow me much more accuracy than I can attain with a regular SSA grip.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

For hotter loads the Bisley grip keeps it from rollling back in your hand. Your hand hold doesn't move in the grip, you get a recoil push that is straight back. I bought a Ruger Bisley 45 last year for deer hunting and it is the way to go with heavy loads. The grip is a little fat , I need to do a little sanding to get a better fit. But I do have a Ruger 44 special standard grip for lighter stuff and it is handier than the Bisley.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Tom, like the others have said it just handles recoil in a different way. I like mine alot. You can see in this link what John Linebaugh thinks of the Bisley. :) .
http://www.customsixguns.com/pricing.htm
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I find the Bisley grip just fits my (large-ish) hands better and is more comfortable. I have a brace of Bisley Vaqueros in .357/.38 and another Gary Reeder Bisley BH in .44mag.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

because those with the skills have decided its the best starting place for their custom guns. So, if you can't get a custom you get as close to it as possible.

rimrock
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Question:

Does the a) Super Blackhawk "SN47" model with the squared trigger guard, or b) the "new" one with the rounded trigger guard (but same looking grip), or c) the Bisley-gripped one, handle recoil less, particularly in the 'rapped knuckle' realm...?

I love my older SN47 one, but the middle finger knuckle doesn't. It doesn't look like the 'new' ones with the rounded trigger guard would really allow all that much more 'clearance', so is the 'Bisley' the answer...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Having shot many a round through guns with various grip frames if you are going to shoot 44mag factory and above you owe it to yourself to at least give the Bisley an honest try. Shoot a box or so and decide. I have decided that the bisley is the most comfortable and accurate for me so I have several factory and custom Bisley 44mags. Won't go back to the Plow Handle style. To me the Bisley Hammer is also a much more comfortable set up very easy motion and very smooth.
regards

3T
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have a Ruger Bisley in 475 Linebaugh and I wouldn't shoot that round in a handgun with anything other than a Ruger Bisley or FA grip frame. I can't imagine shooting medium to heavy loads with a traditional plow handle grip.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Everyone always tells me they like the sloped back hammer enabling them to leave their grip absolutely unaltered while cocking the gun. :?: Especially off the bench ?
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i have two Ruger SA's.....a 5 1/2 " Super Single Six and a 4 5/8" 45 LC NMBH blued. I have converted both to Bisley configuration. I much prefer the look and the grip config fits my big mitts much better. Just an opinion...
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt that is accurate and a very comfortable
to shoot. The lower hammer spur helps maintain a consistant grip,also.
It's just a fun cool gun to shoot.
Plus what the other members said................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

3T wrote: I have decided that the bisley is the most comfortable and accurate for me ... To me the Bisley Hammer is also a much more comfortable set up very easy motion and very smooth.
+1

To answer the previous question, the curve/shape of the Bisley grip prevents (at least on me) the trigger guard from rapping the middle finger.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a pair of bisleys for cowboy shooting in 44 mag. and a pair of standard vaqueros in 44 mag. and another in 44-40. My take is a bit different from some of the previous posters. The bisleys are wonderful to shoot with light to medium loads in 44 mag. However, when full power loads are fired, I find the recoil is then centered in the palm of my hand. This tends to jar the palm and makes it hard to maintain a good grip. The standard vaquero grip works lots better with full power loads.