Old Winchester smokeless cartridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Old Winchester smokeless cartridges

Post by KirkD »

The Cody Museum has an online library of old photos and prints that you can browse here http://www.bbhc.org/mccracken/collections/ I imagine a fellow can spend hours on winter nights looking through it.

I was just skimming through and noticed the print, a partial snapshot of which I've posted below. The print was made in 1895 and what caught my eye was some of the smokeless cartridges for rifles which I've often heard some insist that only black powder should be used. Notable is the 44 Winchester (44-40) that says 'Model 1873'. There are also several Model 1886 calibers noted as well.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Old Winchester smokeless cartridges

Post by Mike D. »

Kirk, all of those early, and later, smokeless cartridges were loaded to relative BP pressures of the day. Even the High Velocity loads were of low enough pressure to be used in the rifles the cartridge was chambered for. I like to read the early catalogs, too, all of which are nicely reproduced. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Gonna go check out the site, but umm where's the .45 Colt in that catalog pic? No Schofield either. I think we been cheated.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Great site, I was able to print adds for all my Marlin 27s. Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Where do you go in that site for all these catalogs and stuff you guys are talking about? I can't find 'em for nothing.

J :x e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Open that link then go down the center of the page to (guns of record). There is more but that is as far as I got.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Try Cornell Publications. They have beautiful copies of original Winchester, and many other manufacturers, catalogs, as well as various instruction manuals. :D

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/his ... r-arms.php
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mike D. wrote:Kirk, all of those early, and later, smokeless cartridges were loaded to relative BP pressures of the day. Even the High Velocity loads were of low enough pressure to be used in the rifles the cartridge was chambered for. I like to read the early catalogs, too, all of which are nicely reproduced. :)
That is true. The smokeless loads of 1895 gave approximately the same muzzle velocity as the BP loads.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Mike D. wrote:Kirk, all of those early, and later, smokeless cartridges were loaded to relative BP pressures of the day. Even the High Velocity loads were of low enough pressure to be used in the rifles the cartridge was chambered for. I like to read the early catalogs, too, all of which are nicely reproduced. :)
It just goes to show that even in the early years of smokeless powder that it could be safely fired in black powder firearms. The whole secret is not to exceed the firearms maxium pressure and that includes modern firearms as well as the black powder cartridge firearms. I've used lots of smokeless powders in Winchester 73, 76, 86, and 92s without ever having a problem.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same here, but mostly in guns with nickel steel barrels. I don't have one in .40-82, but am workin' on one made in 1909. Special order 24" barrel, full mag, Extra Lightweight, .40-82 WCF. :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mike, I'm surprised you do not yet have a 40-82! Good luck on that possible acquisition.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Mike D: +1 on Cornell Publications.

They also have a very informative e-mail newsletter.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

One interesting tidbit. During the time frame that the same cartridges could be bought with smokeless or black powder, the primers on the smokeless rounds were given primers that had a "W" stamp. This allowed the shooter to know what was in it.
Here's a few.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom