Let talk the Win 94 in 32-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Let talk the Win 94 in 32-40

Post by Marvin S »

I was reading the three page thread on pressure curves and using smokeless powder in black powder guns. It inspired me to post this.

So I have this new to me 94 Win in 32-40 that was made in 1923. We will assume it has a nickel steel receiver with a plain ordinance steel barrel because it is not marked as a nickel steel barrel and is in either 32-40 or 38-55. The Winchester 94 book says that these two calibers will have ordinance steel barrels, as nickel steel would have been a special order item and the old sales adds in the book support that statement.

There is also an add from 1916 for cartridges and list smokeless loadings for the 32-40 and 38-55 with lead bullets and full patch (Jacketed) bullets.

We know that the 25-35 30-30 and 32 Special where a smokeless round to start with so we use data for full SAMI pressure limits because they where meant for smokeless right.

Now back to the 32-40 and 38-55. Do we use data that says it is intended for firearms that are safe for smokeless powders? Reference Accurate powders page 355 fro the 32-40 Winchester or page 348 for low pressure loads.

I just loaded up 50 rounds using a RCBS 170gr FNGC with 27gr of 2495BR which is a start load @ 1800 fps and also shows the lowest chamber pressure with the highest velocity. I don't really know what the factory smokeless loading was in terms of FPS and chamber pressure, but I assume I am good to go with this. What do you guys think? Thanks for your educated opinions. AHH I tried to post a picture of the gun but it did not take. It is in tight mechanical condition with an as new bore.
Motex66
Levergunner

Re: Let talk the Win 94 in 32-40

Post by Motex66 »

Wish I the one I sold. Barrel dated 1924.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Marv,
Below is pictured a 94 in 32-40 that was built in 1921. When the gun is together, "nickel steel" is not seen. Pop off the forend and look underneath, you will see "MNS", which is nickel steel. Since Mike D. told me about this, I have seen it on other 1894's in 32-40 and 38-55. For one reason or another, Winchester did not stamp the marking where it is easily seen on these calibers.

Factory ammo was about 1100-1200 fps with almost nothing for chamber pressures. Lots of old Ballards out there.

The below 32-40 has eaten up well over a thousand rounds of smokeless, most all at 1700-1800 fps using 21 grains of 5744. :D ---------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Thanks, I will check this out. Another little tidbit of usefull info. I want to hunt deer with this gun but not at the low velocitys of standard shells. I have a Limited Hi-Wall in 32-40 and don't worry about it, but don't want to beat up the old guy.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Marvin S wrote:I was reading the three page thread on pressure curves and using smokeless powder in black powder guns. It inspired me to post this.

So I have this new to me 94 Win in 32-40 that was made in 1923. We will assume it has a nickel steel receiver with a plain ordinance steel barrel because it is not marked as a nickel steel barrel and is in either 32-40 or 38-55. The Winchester 94 book says that these two calibers will have ordinance steel barrels, as nickel steel would have been a special order item and the old sales adds in the book support that statement.

There is also an add from 1916 for cartridges and list smokeless loadings for the 32-40 and 38-55 with lead bullets and full patch (Jacketed) bullets.

We know that the 25-35 30-30 and 32 Special where a smokeless round to start with so we use data for full SAMI pressure limits because they where meant for smokeless right.

Now back to the 32-40 and 38-55. Do we use data that says it is intended for firearms that are safe for smokeless powders? Reference Accurate powders page 355 fro the 32-40 Winchester or page 348 for low pressure loads.

I just loaded up 50 rounds using a RCBS 170gr FNGC with 27gr of 2495BR which is a start load @ 1800 fps and also shows the lowest chamber pressure with the highest velocity. I don't really know what the factory smokeless loading was in terms of FPS and chamber pressure, but I assume I am good to go with this. What do you guys think? Thanks for your educated opinions. AHH I tried to post a picture of the gun but it did not take. It is in tight mechanical condition with an as new bore.
I think you have yourself a deer killing combination!
JDL
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Like Sixgun stated, the majority of post 1920, and many before, 1894s in .32-40 and .38-55 have NS barrels. Winchester did not place the "Nickel Steel Barrel, Especially For Smokeless Powder" on the upper left side of the barrel of these calibers in the early years unless the gun was specially ordered with that kind of steel. By the later years, most of the barrels were NS, but the marking was only placed on the bottom with the other inspector stamps.

Here is another example, a .32-40 carbine barrel from the '20s
ImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

In the 1916 salesman catalog the 32-40 octagon rifle cost $19.50, while the same gun in the new fangley smokeless shells listing a nickel steel barrel cost $24.50. Sure wish I had some later examples of these catalogs.

I did try to removed the forearm on mine but there is a little tiny dent in the mag tube ring preventing the tube from sliding out. I may turn a mandrel on the lathe and try to work the dent out. Thanks for the info guys.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I got the mag tube withdrawn and forearm off and it has the MNS on it. What do you suppose the M stands for? I know Mn on the elements table is manganese which is used in steel manufacture. Just curious.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Midvale Nickel Steel. Midvale was one of Winchester's primary manufacturer's of NS barrels. All nickel steel barrels, whether manufactured by Crucible, Illingsworth, or Midvale can also be marked with the first letter of the company in a circle. Soft steels are marked with the first letter in a square. Hope this helps, Marvin.

Now that you KNOW that your Winchester has a NS barrel you can load the .32-40 to it's true potential. MV near 2000 FPS can be easily reached by the use of such propellants as IMR 3031 and 4895 and 170 grain bullets. It would pay to slug the bore and determine your rifle's true bore diameter, but most run .321-323. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Thanks Mike. Mine slugges @ .321. Looking foward to getting out at shoot it.