Gary Fellars Vintage Sights Ft. Worth Texas Update 6/25

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Gary Fellars Vintage Sights Ft. Worth Texas Update 6/25

Post by 86er »

Has anyone purchased sights from Gary? If so, how was the experience?

Gary has hundreds of vintage sights, scopes and sight parts with a huge emphasis on leverguns and Winchester and Remington semi-autos. His prices are reasonable.

Here's my saga so far: On March 15th I spoke to him and he had the front and rear sight I wanted for a 1909 year rifle. I quoted a price and I sent a check. Two weeks later he called and said "What is this for again"? Well I wrote on the check "Front and Rear Sight - 1909 Model ..." He confirmed he had them and said "okay I'll get them out to you, I am running about 6 weeks on filling orders". My check shows cashed on April 4th. I wait 6 weeks and nothing shows up so I call. BTW- the guy is less than one hour from me but he doesn't have "hours" or a shop to visit. Gary says "I told you it would be 6 weeks before I got them out to you, your order will be coming". He added "Apparently I'm doing pretty good business if I have hundreds of phone calls a week and a 6 week lead time". (I didn't ask for that tidbit of info and really don't care). Now, more than 8 weeks later still nothing. I called again and his answering machine says "Due to vacation time my normal 6 weeks lead time has been inturrupted. All orders will be filled again in the order they were received upon my return". This is frustating - especially since the rifle sits without sights and is useless until they show up.

I'll report back how it goes after a few more weeks when either I receive the sights or my patience runs out. If anyone orders from Gary Fellar Vintage Sights you can expect this. I'd appreciate any info or feedback from folks that have dealt with him.
Last edited by 86er on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gary Fellars Vintage Sights Ft. Worth Texas

Post by .45colt »

I hope this works out for the best. this makes my blood boil. the last time it happened to Me I went knocking on doors until I found the guy. :o . "we got Your money and we are working on it." :twisted: .Yes please keep us posted.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

For the heck of it I did a search, and found this from Marlin owners.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... ic=25961.0
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've not done business with the fellow you mention.

Maybe he's a swell guy and just got a bit behind. At this point you're the only one who can give him a benefit of doubt.

Now this is just me, but a cashed check, being put off more than once, and the guy's arrogant response to a reasonable request for status would more than likely result in "no repeat business".

I've done business with local companies that have invited me to their shop for custom fitting and have hand delivered late orders to my door for items ordered over the Internet. Of those gentlemen I am a loyal customer.

I see no reason to give repeat business to someone who will not respond with a measure of common courtesy to being handed a fat wad of my money.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

86er,

I was looking for a tang peep for one of my Model 1892 Winchesters and after 4 unanswered calls over 3 weeks I just said the heck with it and found one someplace else. There are too many other sources to have to put up with treatment like that. Maybe if a lot more people read posts like this he will have agreatly reduced response time due to less business.

Good luck
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

if he makes them i can see it taking some time but not that long if they are in stock sights then he is doing very poor business and at that rate i would not buy from him.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

with that kind of turnaround, my guess would be he is ordering them - maybe offshore?
the Russian-made parts that buffalo arms sells are pretty nice.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

He used to(maybe still does) advertise in GUN LIST and SHOTGUN NEWS about 20 yrs ago.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

He had no problem cashing my MO right away, but did not mail the sight for 6 weeks. When it arrived it was nonfunctioning. I called and said I was sending it back. We got into a "discussion" and I told him that I paid for a "working" sight. He ended up sending me about a 30% refund check (immediately) and admitted he probably should have told me that it was missing parts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems. I know several other people that have also had less than positive experiences. None of us will do business with him again.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

A few years back I was told by someone that he would be the best source for a Lyman 66MD sight for my Marlin Levermatic. In the next breath, they also told me it likely would not be a pleasant experience. As a result, I never bothered contacting him, and I'm glad I didn't. Hope it works out for you, though.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I had one experience with Mr. Fellers. He had a rare M.95 Winchester tang sight for sale. I don't rember the exact price, about $350.00. I sent my check to him. After waiting several weeks I contacted him to see what happened to my order. He then contacted me and said he quoted the wrong price. No comment about the lag time to shipping. He then wanted $50.00 more, I do remember that number.
Is that called bait and switch?
I had purchased one other sight from him before, but that was/is it.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

His is a poor way of doing business. If he has the sight on hand there should only be about a 5 minute lead time. Locate the sight, place it in a padded envelope, mail it, end of story. I certainly would avoid this clown like the plague. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

When I bought a model 71 Winchester, it was missing the integral bolt peep sight (Model 98A).
I contacted Gary and worked a deal where he woul loan me a sight to use, so I could reverse engineer the sight.
In exchange, I had to make a few parts for him and pay for postage. He said he had a couple of sights with the parts missing.
I completed the design and made a complete sight for my rifle.
I had his loaner parts for a couple of months and he never asked for a deposit or bothered me about when I would return his parts.
I also found him to be a bit gruff when we spoke on the phone.
Bob Nisbet
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Joe, I'd send him a link to this thread. I believe the extended network that this site represents would be significant to him, assuming he comprehends things like that.

He has been largely successful in positioning himself as the go-to guy for these items. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear he has the class necessary to refrain from abusing that position.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Gary is a very good guy, have dealt with him since 1983! this is quite typical with him: forgetful, gets disorganized,etc. a lot like me!! anyway i have gotten lots of stuff from him, good prices, properly described, but it can be frustrating getting an answer, getting him on the phone,etc. i have met him in person a couple of times and he is just a good kind honest guy, like the folks here.
i wish he had a website to peruse.
cable
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"he is just a good kind honest guy, like the folks here."

That emphatically was not the case in my dealings with him. Yes, he is slow, disorganized, etc. etc. but it seems
that he always comes out ahead whenever he doesn't describe something correctly, at least in my experience.
Nor did he attempt to properly remedy the situation. Funny how some people think that as long as they have an
"excuse," it's the same as doing the right thing. He's always got lots of excuses.

1. Ordered a tang sight for a Win. 94. It was functional, but had been stripped of all finish and polished... Naturally, he never mentioned that. I overlooked it.

2. Ordered a tang sight for another rifle. Discussed condition over the phone, he said he had one in fine shape, I paid premium price for it at the time. What arrived... much later... was a sight with about 60% finish and his business card that had a note on it "Good for $20.00 credit on merchandise only, good for 1 year" and the date. The pathetically lame note he included stated he didn't remember the condition of the sight properly when describing it to me. That, in my humble opinion, is scum in action. Either send me the correct merchandise, or be man enough to call me, tell me the situation, and give me some options. Then if you do send an adjustment, send it in money, rather than a "store credit." That worked nicely to his benefit, since having been burned twice, I will never do business with him again. I think I still have the card somewhere (un-redeemed, of course), as an example to show people why they should never do business with him.

I also have met him in person, at a Texas gun show. Perfunctory, not real pleasant, had lots of stuff and you could at least examine it and buy without the 6 week delay/lie, bait and switch tactic. Prices were very high relative to others.

Just MY experiences dealing with him. NEVER AGAIN. I doubt very seriously he would care if he read this thread, as this has been how he has treated people for DECADES. If he did miraculously respond by sending 86'er quality merchandise, it would only be to try to counteract the bad press he's gotten here (in hopes of a good report on the net), not because he cared anything about how 86'er was treated. That's evident in how he routinely treats his customers.

86'er, be afraid... be very afraid... I'd expect to get bad merchandise from him and I'd be prepared to go in person to
straighten it out if necessary. You might let him know that mail fraud is punishible by 5 years in prison per offense...

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

well, my experiences with him were well over 20 years ago. sounds like he has changed, almost a different guy. i stand corrected and updated and i doubt that i will try to deal with him again either.
the things you are describing are completely unacceptable, and way different than back then. hate to see that, i try to be fair and give people benefit of doubt, but in this case........
cable
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gary Fellars Vintage Sights Ft. Worth Texas Update 6/25

Post by 86er »

STILL NO SIGHTS -

Cashed check on April 5th. Spoke to him 6 or 8 weeks later -"it's on the way". Called last week and this week (6/16 and 6/25). Answering machine says "I'm back from 3 weeks vacation and Denver, give me time to send your order". I left a message both times, no reply. 81 days or so and no sights.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING GARY FELLARS IF YOU NEED TO RECEIVE A SIGHT WITHIN THE SAME YEAR YOU PURCHASE IT.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

If only Mr. Fellars knew who he is jerking around. Maybe he would hand deliver it :wink: Good luck Joe.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

6/25 8PM CST - Gary Fellers left me a message. If was actually a pleasant message. He apologized 6 or 7 times for taking so long. He said he took my package to the Post Office and just made it there a few minutes before they closed at 6 O'Clock. He said even though the packages within Texas usually take one day it might not get delivered tomorrow because he dropped it off so late. Thanked me for being patient and hoped I would forgive him for taking so long.

FWIW - nobody had these sights, an original front sight base and post and a rear sight base with folding leaf from a Remington 8 vintage 1909. I paid $55 for the whole deal including shipping. So this is not about a lot of money being tied up.

Let's see what I get in the package tomorrow or Monday - if one shows up. I'll repost when it gets here.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What Gary does is he gets your money and then finds the sight. I have dealt with him and it won't happen anymore. I waited three months for him to get a sight for a Model 52 Winchester.

After a month, I called and he tells me he was in Isreal. That might explain the whole story. :wink:

Ken Bean of York, Pa. is the guy to deal with.

Ain't that annoying? You have to wait all that time to get your goods. :wink: ---------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The package came today - 6/26. The rear sight has no elevtor, no screws and no mounting bracket. The front sight is just the bead, not the base that is actually more important. I got two useless parts. The End.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have had excellent luck buying sights off of eBay and GB, so why fool with a "questionable "dealer". Model 52 sights abound on those venues. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Put them on gunbroker for a nickle each with the full story... :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I am sorry to hear this.What a jerk.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:Put them on gunbroker for a nickle each with the full story... :twisted:

+1 :evil: :evil: :evil:

Joe, I'm sorry to hear this!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sorry to hear that the deal didn't work out to the best possible end, Joe.

On the positive side, your sharing these few details gives our group much appreciated fore-knowledge about someone we might have dealings with at some future date.

Thanks for standing up.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

FWiedner wrote:
On the positive side, your sharing these few details gives our group much appreciated fore-knowledge about someone we might have dealings with at some future date.
+1
NRA Life Member
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"fore-knowledge about someone we might have dealings with at some future date."

OR, NOT...

What an (expletive deleted.) :evil:

Sorry you got ripped off. At least you're not alone, FWIW... :(

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Wow. Talk about adding insult to injury. Sheesh!

Maybe I could get Mr. Fellers to pay me for a Model 94 and I'll send him a buttstock, lever, mag tube and rear sight. Here ya go! Enjoy!
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

http://www.garyfellers.com/

Here's his website, with contact info..... anyone care to "Contact" him??? LOL!!
model70man
Levergunner

Post by model70man »

jdad wrote: Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm He had no problem cashing my MO right away, but did not mail the sight for 6 weeks. When it arrived it was nonfunctioning. I called and said I was sending it back. We got into a "discussion" and I told him that I paid for a "working" sight. He ended up sending me about a 30% refund check (immediately) and admitted he probably should have told me that it was missing parts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems. I know several other people that have also had less than positive experiences. None of us will do business with him again.
Mr. Fellers has shown himself to me as untrustworthy, a liar, in denial, and I could go on. He stuck me with a Lyman Super Target Spot that had a broken reticle. When I called he he developed severe amnesia. I proceeded to call him every day until he finally made good on the deal by having Gil Parsons repair the scope. I told him that I would spread the word every way possible to expose his crooked methods. Never again with Garry Fellers!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A truly sad story, all around.......... :roll:

Thanks for the heads-up ! :)

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

model70man wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 am
jdad wrote: Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm He had no problem cashing my MO right away, but did not mail the sight for 6 weeks. When it arrived it was nonfunctioning. I called and said I was sending it back. We got into a "discussion" and I told him that I paid for a "working" sight. He ended up sending me about a 30% refund check (immediately) and admitted he probably should have told me that it was missing parts.

Mr. Fellers has shown himself to me as untrustworthy, a liar, in denial, and I could go on. He stuck me with a Lyman Super Target Spot that had a broken reticle. When I called he he developed severe amnesia. I proceeded to call him every day until he finally made good on the deal by having Gil Parsons repair the scope. I told him that I would spread the word every way possible to expose his crooked methods. Never again with Garry Fellers!
You do realize that you resurrected a 7 year old thread?

His web site is gone. He's probably gone.

Let it rest in peace.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

7 year old thread or not, I dealt with Gary several times, I'm sure he was older and more forgetful than me, but in our last dealing he had to remind me of several matters. My excuse was I was driving across the state 2-4 times per week to care for an ailing Mother. See, Gary was one of those guys who traveled around placing bibles in motel room nightstands along with running a business selling old, out of date, hard to find sights. Well, he placed several bibles in remembrance of my Mother, got me my sight and I believe shortly thereafter sold off his business.
Old, slow, forgetful, yup, like me, but a good soul, a very good soul.
bob
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well since it's back to life, I'll jump in. I bought from Gary decades ago, but always face to face at gun shows. Even 20 years ago guys talked about not dealing via mail with him. Considering I haven't seen him at any big gun show in nearly a decade, and I doubt he's selling, and may not be around today. So his business practices are a moot point today.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Known Gary for years:

This is an old topic. But....Gary is still alive and does a little business from time to time. He is still in Fort Worth
and has severe back and memory issues.
He can find hard to place sights-the kind that are only in Nick Stroebel's book on old sights.

Like many of us-his memory and 1950s bookkeeping come back to haunt. He tries and is basically a
decent guy who sometimes is mistaken for a charlatan. Not so....just bug him to death.....................and remind him
of his bible sitting close to his desk...........LT Col HRM