OT: Wall hangers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Wall hangers

Post by Andrew »

I was at work today, or maybe yesterday, and got the notion that my house could use a good wall hanger to spruce up the indoor motif. Well, I got on GunBroker and put in "wall hanger" and got 2 auctions. "wallhanger" got 1. :roll:

I was under the impression that "wall hanger" was a fairly common phrase to use for a gun that was no longer serviceable or was that my imagination? I could swear I've found more wall hanger type auctions while searching for actual guns than I did looking up "wall hanger" today. Oh well.

Do any of you guys out there in Levergun Land have "wall hangers" in your homes that you would like to post pics of?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT: Wall hangers

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew -

I have heard the same description all my life for unusable firearms. I guess there just aren't that many out there!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Maybe in the past many guns were described as wall hangers because they were in calibers for which ammunition was no longer made. Nowdays there are many sources of obsolete brass and bullets so the old guns have a new lease of life. Even pinfire pistol and shotgun brass is available again now, plus of course the internet has made it much easier to locate supplies of vintage gun parts and ammo. In my collection I have Martini Henrys, Sniders, Werndls and rolling blocks, all of which might have been classified as wall hangers in the past.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a couple wall hangers, but they still work.

Forgot about this pic, they work also.

Oh, and this one. They work.

But wait, there's more!

A second gen Colt's 3rd Dragoon. I guess it works, it's still unfired. Looks good on the wall tho.

Last edited by Malamute on Tue May 11, 2010 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A few of mine.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here's mine, the flinter is still perfectly functional, the stuff in the frame was salvaged from a house fire maybe 100 years ago.

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I have a couple of older 1894 style bb guns by our fireplace and unless you get real close you can't tell the difference.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I had a true wall hanger in that it was an unserviceable firearm.. A Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish rifle...my dad bought IIRC @ 7 cents a pound for me to play with and have hanging on the wall in my bedroom...It was rusty and badly pitted, had cracked stocks, no firing pin and the fore arm cap was missing...Beyond me playing with it, dad put it to use, he plugged the firing pin hole so we could fire cap gun caps...then used it to desensitize a gun shy pointer he acquired... Every night at feeding time in our garage my duty was... Put the food down.. then make Primo sit... I'd fire the gun and tell him to eat... We started out with just one cap and worked up to a stack...maybe eight or ten for a nice loud bag... That massive hammer and heavy spring did the trick..worked great and ole Primo was a danged fine bird dog... I did learn those caps are corrosive too!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

A firearm never entered my mind. When your thread said "wal hanger" I thought you were talking about an animal mount. I guess us hill billes are backwards, around here wall hanger means a big buck. Tom.
CJM
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CJM »

I'm surprised that you found three auctions where the seller would actually admit that the firearm wasn't serviceable. :roll: I'm sure that there are many more "wallhangers" being sold, but it may be hard to find the auctions as they aren't described as such.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gads! I could fill a pick-up truck with wallhangers/junk if I chose to. Not at my house, but about half of what most gunshops/gunshows/auctions have is $99 junk.

Real deal wallhangers? I save 'em for the gun buy back programs in Philly. I cash 'em in for $100 each :D --------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Andrew, gents,

You could also search for "parts guns". I have seen a few that look complete, but they are missing internal parts (or, they have broken internal parts).

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hagler wrote:You could also search for "parts guns". I have seen a few that look complete, but they are missing internal parts (or, they have broken internal parts).
"gunsmith special" is another term to search. I know for sure there's a seller with Brazilian and maybe Israeli Mausers being sold as gunsmith specials.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at