Sling swivels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Sling swivels

Post by kimwcook »

I'm sorry if this topic has been hashed to death, but I wasn't there and a search of leverguns doesn't come back.

What is the consensus and experience on sling swivels. Swivels on the magazine tube, on the forend cap for rifles, Uncle Mike's screw in stud and swivels, and the custom style that are inletted into the forend and buttstock and don't allow the swivel to hit the wood and tear it up.

This is for both Sharps and leverguns with magazine tubes.

I've carried my Sharps elk hunting and it got heavy. I'd like the option of throwing it over my shoulder when I'm walking face to face with a mountain or sliding down on my bum. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook,

Years ago I had a couple Win 94s set up with a sling. I used the Uncle Mikes mount that has a solid ring around the magazine tube, and the split ring.
Both worked as they should, but I preferred the solid ring mount. I mounted the swivel ring just off the end of the forearm so it wouldn't bend the magazine tube.
Never had a problem with them. Both but stock swivels were simply drilled and counter sunk as normal. The stupid white spacers were tossed.

Joe
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I had Shiloh put a pair of their studs on my Sharps. The front one is on the barrel in front of the forend tip and the rear one on the stock. I don't often use the sling, but at times it is a necessity.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Shiloh was in the process of choosing sling swivels when inquired of them years ago. The last I checked they still hadn't made up their mind. I just emailed them to see what's available.

On my Winchester's I don't want to attach to the magazine tube as Joe said for concerns of bending it. I don't like the looks of a leather sling just wrapped around the bbl. and then attached to a buttstock cover. Most sling stud/swivels that just screw into the stock allow the swivel and/or the sling to slap the wood and eventually beats it up. I'd consider the forend cap type but I don't know how strong they are. I'm afraid they'll pull through the cap. A 1886 is a heavy rifle.

I'm leaning towards the inlaid type custom sling swivel mount that won't allow the swivel to hit the wood for the buttstock and possibly even for the forend. The type Brownell's carries. I just don't have any experience with any type of a levergun.

The ones I have used beat the stuff out of the wood and I don't like treating my firearms that way. There's got to be a better solution.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Kim;
Another colorful and workable solution is to have Lever make you a custom leather sling that suits your rifle.
Check this out at his web site
http://www.levergunleather.com/

Beside, it is fun to browse all the nice leather goods he offers!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

An alternative to swivels (Q.D. or not), that I use on guns I don't wish to molest, is a non-permanent type which usually has a loop of some sort that slides around either the barrel or barrel/mag tube from the front, and a strap or cup arrangement at the rear that cradles the last 3" of the butt.

Cabella's carries them in leather, but I prefer 1" nylon so I can roll it up in a pocket or haversack when not needed.

Stopper
Levergunner

re: more pictures

Post by Stopper »

I've been curious about mounting a sling on my '94 for a while. Does anyone have any more pictures they can post so I can get a better idea of what the various forms look like?

- Stopper
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont much like the ones that grab the tube myself. Never saw a Winchester part but the Marlin forend tip & barrel band studs are riveted in place & plenty strong. I dont think theres enuff wood in the forend of an 86 to accept a screw. I'd be afraid of splitting or pulling it out.
I'v seen scabbards you can sling over your back to carry a rifle & would/am consider them for a gun I didn't want to alter. They offer alot more protection for it as well.
Moreso I'm leaning towards something like Pete pictured.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

After forty years of hunting, I guess I'm just stuck on soft 'n stowable.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Give me a simple latigo strap.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru,

I haven't put a sling on a lever gun for almost 30 years. The last one I had with sling mounts on it is long ago gone.

That removable sling you showed in your picture intrigues me. Where could one get a nylon version of it?

I don't have a Cabelas or any of the big box stores near me. And I have no idea what Wallie mart carries.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had the black nylon/Cordua swivel-less sling for at least ten yers, Joe.

IIRC, it was in a Butler Creek or Uncle Mike's labeled plastic bag, tagged @ $3.00, in the sporting goods department of a chain store now out of business.

The red, camera strap style was handmade by moi. I picked out the size/color/material from a supply of ribbons in a sewing center/fabric store, and put it together with velcro adjustments.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I like Scott's method for a singleshot rifle. For a levergun I like the front swivel drilled and tapped into the forearm cap. If it's got barrel bands, I like it on the band. Never liked the mag tube mounts.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott I like the looks of the bbl. mounted front sling mount. Now what's the buttstock mount look like.
Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I got a reply from Lucinda at Shiloh. They have the sling swivels available. They're $99.00 and that doesn't include installation.
Old Law Dawg
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My sling setup for what it's worth.
Just a plain jane sling.
a set of det. sling swivels.
full ring on the mag. tub.
Works great with no problems. :)

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:After forty years of hunting, I guess I'm just stuck on soft 'n stowable.

Finger woven or inkle loom?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Finger woven or inkle loom?]

R U speakin' Gaelic, or sumptin', Hobie? I am clueless, as to what you mean.

I just bought the cloth "ribbon" (?), off a larger spool, at a sewing store in a strip mall, that also sold clothing pattens and bolts of cloth to make clothes from.

The store had about twenty different spools, all differing in pattern, colors, and ribbon width. IIRC, I paid about $3 for 4yds (12') of it.