A Peek into my office (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

A Peek into my office (photo)

Post by KirkD »

Boy's, shooting has been a little slow, since I'm a little short of bullets. Today, I set up my new propane burner (65,000 BTU's) and tried it out. Much better than my camp stove. I cast a bunch of 38-40 bullets, so expect a range report for my 'new' original Winchester Model 1873 later this week. I also got a decent camera, finally! I'm looking forward to turning out a very nice Calendar for 2011. In the meantime, I took a shot of my office. I didn't clean it up or anything; this is the way it pretty much looks most of the time, except once every few months when I tidy it up. That's a deer hide draped over my office chair .... it makes it a lot more comfortable to sit in for hours at a time. The four Winchesters on the left are, from top to bottom:

Winchester Model 1894 38-55 made in 1899
Winchester Model 53 44-40 made in 1928
Winchester Model 53 32-20 made in 1926
Winchester Model 1886 45-70 Extra Lightweight take down, made in 1901

The other rifle to the right is a Winchester Model 1873 38-40 made in 1891.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: A Peek into my office (photo)

Post by iceman »

Nice digs
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've always liked your office pics, Kirk.
Old Law Dawg
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like the levers and the deer skin but that Canadian keyboard is weirding me out. :?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Andrew wrote:I like the levers and the deer skin but that Canadian keyboard is weirding me out. :?
That's no Canadian keyboard. I salvaged it out of a old wrecked spacecraft I stumbled upon while out wilderness canoeing and camping in northern Ontario. I don't know what planet it came from, as I couldn't understand any of the symbols or 'writing' inside the wreckage, but the keyboard sure works good even it it has crazy symbols on the keys. It didn't take much to patch on a USB plug. That's one thing I like about the remote wilderness ..... you never know what you'll find half buried in some swamp. 8)
Last edited by KirkD on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

After analyzing your picture with my atomomatic screen enhancer, I believe it is from a model zrx-47 X51 spaceship as built by the General Atomic corporation circa 2095, but its just a guestamation on my part :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

UncleBuck wrote:After analyzing your picture with my atomomatic screen enhancer, I believe it is from a model zrx-47 X51 spaceship as built by the General Atomic corporation circa 2095, but its just a guestamation on my part :D
no no no, it's a zrx-48. you can tell by the tail lights. :lol:

nice office kirk, didn't it get awful smoky in there, casting those bullets? :roll: :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

UncleBuck wrote:After analyzing your picture with my atomomatic screen enhancer, I believe it is from a model zrx-47 X51 spaceship as built by the General Atomic corporation circa 2095, but its just a guestamation on my part :D
Those time machines they used to build in the future just got, or are gonna get, everyone confused! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love the oil lamp, nice touch! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Kirk, superb as always. Keep up the good work and when your calendar is available be sure to let us all know how to grab one. Cheers and good hunting.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

VERY nice! I wish I had your sense of style. Do you offer lessons? :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Awesome! I can only drool over your historic Winchesters.
Single shot shotgun next to the door?

I have only seen one pre 64 Winchester 94 for sale here with my own eyes. There are not many for sale around these parts.
Thanks for sharing Kirk :)
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thats a nice looking office Kirk.Great decorating! :mrgreen:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Game Keeper, on gloomy, cold, rainy days I light that oil lamp. It sure cheers things up when the rain is pounding against the glass and there is a slight damp chill in the air.

Bogie, my wife has a name for my sense of style ..... she calls it 'mess' and 'rubble heap'. :D

Aussie Chris, yes, that is a single-shot 20 Bore shotgun next to the door, leaning up against the bookcase.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Well now if I only knew how to post pic's I could educate your wife on the definition of "mess" and "rubble heap" in the office and after she saw those pic's then you would REALLY look like a hero to her :D
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Kirk, that is an office we can all aspire to having someday. Makes staying indoors tolerable!

Phideaux
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice KD, thanks, but I don't see a shotgun, fishing rod maybe. Is that a saxaphone towards the left side of the book case?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice office Kirk.

I have a desk, dead animals and some firearms too but it looks like maybe a tornado recently came through :lol:

My desk is covered with papers, business cards, magazines, flash drives, etc.. It gets like this and then I do a thorough cleaning and put everything into files, etc. and it starts all over.

I don't have any antique winchesters on the wall though! :(
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:Nice KD, thanks, but I don't see a shotgun, fishing rod maybe. Is that a saxaphone towards the left side of the book case?

Nath.
Nath, there's a fishing rod and shotgun together leaning against the bookcase. My real nice shotgun, a J.P. Clabrough SxS hammer gun is in the next room on the wall. That is a sax in the corner. Sometimes in the evenings I get it out and play for a while.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pure Class
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I'm jealous...again! Congrats again Kirk, looks mighty fine from my perspective. I believe your wife is in dire need to see what a true mess is!

By the way, how far are you from Logan?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Time Hunter wrote: By the way, how far are you from Logan?
Logan? Do you mean a place called Logan in Ontario? There is a place called Logan about a 1/2 hour southwest of my house.
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Thanks Kirk, I wish I had half the class you have, you make us all stand a little taller.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I could get the "Boy" moved out, I'd have an office/reloading room inside the house... as it is, I have to make do with the barn.

Looks good, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

how can you get any work done without petting the firearms?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

bulldog1935 wrote:how can you get any work done without petting the firearms?
It's pretty tough, and I'll have to admit that I'm not always successful at fighting off the temptation.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I kinda thought that's what it would look like. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Lovely office. With kids around I'm still not comfortable having firearms stored in the open (despite growing up that way...funny how that is) but some day, some day.

And might I say that is a lovely mounted mosquito you have behind your chair! I remember those huge things from growing up just north of you in Minnesota (God's great Northland that the New World Vikings discovered after discarding Ontario as unacceptable) but ours were not so colorful! :D

Cheers,
Arizona Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

KirkD wrote:
Logan? Do you mean a place called Logan in Ontario? There is a place called Logan about a 1/2 hour southwest of my house.
Yep, Logan Township Ontario...you must be pretty close to Stratford, hey?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
KirkD wrote:
Yes I am! Just a half hour from our house. If you are ever in the Logan area be sure to let me know. It would be great to get together. I could either slip over there or, even better, we'd love to have you over for a good meal. My wife is a good cook.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

samb wrote:Thanks Kirk, I wish I had half the class you have, you make us all stand a little taller.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote:If I could get the "Boy" moved out, I'd have an office/reloading room inside the house... as it is, I have to make do with the barn.

Looks good, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:D :D My oldest daughter is getting married soon. I told her the other day that I might turn her room into my gun room.

You oughta seen the look on her face...Crushed...like I was kicking her out!

I MAY wait until they pull out of the driveway on their way to the honeymoon before I start redecorating :!: She already has one antler in there for a hat rack, but it needs more. Won't be long before gunpowder overpowers that girlie smell in there. :lol:

I told her I'd make her a guest room in the shop.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

KirkD wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote:
KirkD wrote:
Yes I am! Just a half hour from our house. If you are ever in the Logan area be sure to let me know. It would be great to get together. I could either slip over there or, even better, we'd love to have you over for a good meal. My wife is a good cook.
That would be great! Hopefully before this coming fall I can get over in that area for some family business, I would love the opportunity to meet you. Seems we misplaced 1280 acres somewhere, I might be designated to have to go find it.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Nice office. I would love to have some of mine on display, but Australian gun laws make this very hard.

I used to have a Manton shotgun on the wall, but the Police Commissioner's rules on decommissioning involved only one step short of running a steam roller over her action and I was not prepared to do that (they wanted the barrel blocked and the action welded up- in other words the internal destruction of an old sidelock gun).

My Manton was inherited, it was never a high grade Manton, but she is a hammered damascus barrelled Manton with 21/2 inch chambers made in the mid to late 1880's nonetheless. She was last carried by a relative in the English home guard during those dark days when they had no firearms and almost any firearm would do.

Something about pausing from work and looking at an old friend which I miss- its kinda restful. AHHH.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Nice office. I would love to have some of mine on display, but Australian gun laws make this very hard.

I used to have a Manton shotgun on the wall, but the Police Commissioner's rules on decommissioning involved only one step short of running a steam roller over her action and I was not prepared to do that (they wanted the barrel blocked and the action welded up- in other words the internal destruction of an old sidelock gun).

My Manton was inherited, it was never a high grade Manton, but she is a hammered damascus barrelled Manton with 21/2 inch chambers made in the mid to late 1880's nonetheless. She was last carried by a relative in the English home guard during those dark days when they had no firearms and almost any firearm would do.

Something about pausing from work and looking at an old friend which I miss- its kinda restful. AHHH.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Time Hunter, email sent.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:Nice office. I would love to have some of mine on display, but Australian gun laws make this very hard.

Our laws are the same :roll: That reminds me, I must put these muzzle loaders away (sometime) :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Kirk,
Nice office! Hopefully you have a gun safe to put them in while away.
I don't see your '94 30WCF carbine.....oh, maybe that's in the safe.... :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

w30wcf wrote:I don't see your '94 30WCF carbine.....oh, maybe that's in the safe.... :D
Unfortunately, I don't have enough racks right now to hang up all my Winchesters. 'Old Savage', my Winchester Model 94 30-30, is leaning against the wall behind the door. Also not visible, is a Winchester 1876 45-60 and a Springfield Model 1888 45-70, not to mention my old J.P. Clabrough SxS hammerlock in the next room. Of all my rifles, 'Old Savage' probably sees the most traveling and use. I work out of my office, so I like to have the 30-30 nice and handy.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! I remember your post on your home-made rifle hangers as well. You can not see the locks at all! 8)
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, your office is way cool, as are your rifles. I hope you have a burgler alarm. I have about $20,000 invested in firearms and they are are all in the safe except for two: Pump shotgun for booglers who come in the night and a Henry .22 lever for quick shots at squirrels in the daytime. And I have an alarm. I have never been hit but three yrs ago caught two guys breaking into a neighbors house so I worry. All the best.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
EA Cable
Levergunner

Post by EA Cable »

Kirk, beautiful office, beautiful rifles. It's a wonder you are able to get anything done! :D
Cable
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" George Washington