Backpack Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Backpack Gun

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O.T. T/C ?

Post by tman »

35 remington 8)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

For that kind of hunting I would go with 7x30 Waters. I've always wanted to try that in a Contender. Just my two cents. Post a picture of your set up when you get a chance. Good luck!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ I plan on purposefully not looking like a hunter.]
[ Dragging the beast out is not illegal but will surely cause a second look and a reproachful glare from the brisk walking mums pushing the baby prams and the bicyclists with their hard hats, tight breeches and feet clamped to the pedals.]

Yep - 'Sounds like ya need a .35 Rem Bicycle Rifle ! ;)

You kin even ride in on a Mountain bike, with one of those tow-behind prams, to fold up field-dressed game for a stealth haul-out. :mrgreen:

I think, though, that you owe it to yore brother levergunners to post a pic of yerself with the aforementioned "hard hats, tight breeches & feet clamped to the pedals". ;)

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

3o-30? or .44 Mag.?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

.25 Bullberry
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:You kin even ride in on a Mountain bike, with one of those tow-behind prams, to fold up field-dressed game for a stealth haul-out. :mrgreen:
I'd love to see the face on the soccer mom who lovingly peered into your baby-pram to gaze upon your sweet little one... :o :lol:

The 35 Remington would be fine, but if you're like me, and need an excuse to buy another barrel, :wink: I'd pick a cartridge you have another gun in, if you want 'practical', or if you want 'just for fun', pick something cool in the power range of the rounds suggested above.

For a breakopen, the sky is the limit, and I always liked the .25-35 Winchester, so that might be what I'd get, since you're not talking really large deer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd use what I had, the .35 Rem.

I like the idea of the hinge pin mod but I got a folding stock from Choate for my Contender with 16¼" barrels. Those are .22 WRFM, .30 Herrett, 10mm Auto and .41 Rem Mag. Truth is, any levergun round would work. It all depends on what you WANT to use. I'd also prefer to have a forearm. Shooting the without is all right but not the greatest for consistency of grip.

The 3-bicycle-wheeled push pram with cover would get you in and out without having to dismantle the gun although you might want to do so for legal reasons. Just tell any nosy women you have a physically disabled autistic child and you resent their discriminatory demands to peek under his/her "shade". :wink:

I remember the story about the guy who worked in the wheelbarrow factory...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

45-70, 30-30 (you can use pointy bullets), the sky is the limit with a Contender! I have 2 44 mag pistol barrels 14" and 6" for sale if you are interested PM me.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I like.35's.

I'd use the .35 Remington, and if I really wanted a different barrrel I'd have one made up in .358 Winchester.

Good Hunting!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

30wcf
25-35
32-40
38-55
32spl
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

First, I would use what I have.

Second, you need to factor in your shooting ability in both calibers and distances you intend to shoot, and what size game.

Both, in my opinion, will do the job on deer and moderate size pig, if you do your part and shoot accordingly. That being head and neck shots w/223 and whatever your preference with the 35 Rem.

But, personally I would rather go with the 35 Rem..

If you are totally bent on another caliber,... someone here had some pics up of a TC in 444,...if he sees this thread , maybe he will post a pic. And, with the 444 being my preferred caliber to handle anything and everything that comes down any path,.... that is what I would upgrade to.

8)
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Odd,
you seem interested in .25-.35 but passed on .25 Bullberry.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well the .35 Rem sounds good to me but if you were dead set to buy a new caliber and given the stealth mode parameters you have been given in your situation, I would go for a lower REPORT range. I am thinking a .45 Colt and keeping shots at short range since your in a swamp area anyways.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

one of the whisper rounds, big bullet, low powder, great penetration, not much report.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mescalero1 wrote:Odd, you seem interested in .25-.35 but passed on .25 Bullberry.
I just liked the .25-35 since I first saw the round in the 1960's - they didn't have the Bullberry then :wink:

I do LIKE the idea of a "whisper" round for that application - if legal in the area, consider a .444 Marlin with a heavy but slow bullet - just be sure the twist is ok for a SLOW bullet. If the state allows .500 S&W, that opens up heavy/slow bullets, as well; even saboted rounds if you want to experiment a bit.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The .35 with 180 grainers for the extra large piggies you might run into.

BTW a skid lid isn't such a bad thing to have. you need to consider the alternatives. I was doing 21 MPH on a downhill commuting to work when a truck going the other way lost a 3/4" sheet of plywood which came sailing at me like a Frisbee. No doubt with out the Bell Helmet I was wearing my brains would have been smeared over the roadside like a stick of camo face paint. I still have memory problems from the concussion I got on that one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Thanks for the idea about the washer!

I have 3 TC Barrels for my Contender Carbine:

1. .22 LR
2. .223
3. 30-30 which I have had Ackley Improved.

I suggest the .30-30 Ackley. I feed it .125 gr ballistic Tip projectiles. This tends to be very flat shooting, and has become my walk around rifle for wherever fast repeat shots are not anticipated.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I agree with Mikld- 44 or 30-30
Old Skirmisher
Levergunner

Post by Old Skirmisher »

I found that my T/C carbine in .375 Win. was a good deer killer.

Plus, the chamber was long enough to accept 38/55 rounds for black powder plinking!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, Ray, what'd you decide to do?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Backpack Gun

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

In the same situation I have taken the buttstock off a Rossi 92, slid that down the side of my pack, and the butt down the other. All of my solutions involve leverguns and no spending of money.

I would have said use the .223 to your original question too. People kill big deer round here with .223s and think nothing of it.

I like the 7.62x39 in your choices there. But what is an AK47 pistol?
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Man, thats a machine pistol! If anything it looks scarier!
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have an Encore barrel in 300 Blackout from https://matchgrademachine.com, 16" and threaded for a suppressor, but came with a nice 'brake' on it. With a folding stock, that would be a great backpack gun. Get a fast twist so you can use subsonic and it isn't even that noisy without a suppressor.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am In final stages of my machinist.making a good backpack gun almost done but not quite. Marlin 1895 with .a 17.inch barrel, threaded for a suppressor and converted to takedown.Scout scope with QD rings, fiber optic backups, WWG trigger, ejector, and a Large loop also..it was good enough for JW and Chuck......! Gun will be all done this month ATFE paperwork????????
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That sounds wicked cool!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Ray wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 pm I have secured permission to hunt a much coveted swampy hollow surrounded by rocky ridges, mature hardwood, and 10 year old pine thickets. The only access to the property(that I am allowed to use) is a yuppie/soccer mom walking and bicycle trail that passes from the metroplis through an industrial area and on into the wilds beyond. I have to park my old pickup amongst the range rovers and mercedes and hoof it about two miles to the property access point. Hunting and openly carried firearms are verboten on the trail but I have the full blessings of both the "powers to be" and the landowners to slay deer and swine in the swamp. I plan on purposefully not looking like a hunter. Dragging the beast out is not illegal but will surely cause a second look and a reproachful glare from the brisk walking mums pushing the baby prams and the bicyclists with their hard hats, tight breeches and feet clamped to the pedals.

I am planning on putting together a break-down carbine based on the T/C Contender. I dug out my old frame that was already set up with buttstock. I ordered an extra hinge pin and have had a washer tig welded to one end of it. This allows the gun to be broken down and carried in a backpack and quickly assembled at the stand site without having to monkey around with forend and screws or any tools. I have factory 16.5" barrels in .223 Rem. and .35 Rem. but I might try a custom barrel in another chambering made without forend lugs as these will not be necesary.

Please give your opinions as to what chambering to order should I decide on a custom barrel. I have already slain several deer with both the .223 and .35 barrels. Don't scratch your heads too long or think too hard. Just tell me the first chambering that comes to your mind that you would use in these same circumstances to slay 150 lb. max. deer or swine at under 125 yds. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

30-30 with 150 gr for deer & 170 gr for pigs
Merle from PA
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

:D Jason I really hope this is as much fun as I think it will. I got a silencerco hybrid so same can for 223 savage bolt Gun, 357 rossi, 44 mag Marlin,35 Remington, 45-70, and 458socom. The takedown feature is pretty cool too. Having a case made for it so scope and both halves will be in a individual padded sleeve.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I'd go with a 30-30 with pointy 150gr ers. If I was looking for something new and fun 375 jdj .
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

MGM in Utah currently has a sale on 16 1/4" .357 Magnum and .357 Maximum barrels for the Contender Carbine. I've used the .357 Mag in a Contender Carbine for several years on blacktails and wild pigs and it is quite effective. This caliber has the advantage of being readily available and able to use a very wide range of loads, including shot (at close range).

MGM makes excellent barrels; they supplied all the "T-C Custom Shop" and "Fox Ridge" barrels in the past. I have many Contender barrels and only one is a T-C product; the rest MGM*.

*I am, however, not affiliated with Match Grade Machine in any way other than being a very satisfied customer.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I were you and had it in my head to use a Contender Carbine I'd scratch around and find a 7-30 Waters barrel . Although there's certainly nothing wrong with a 30-30 , 35 REM or 375 WIN .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Given the 8 years that have elapsed since Ray first posed this question, I'd say that he sorted it all out, long ago - What say you, Ray ? . :roll:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know what he did, but I wound up getting a 16" threaded barrel for my Encore rifle, chambered in 300 Blackout. It would be perfect for such a situation, being compact when taken down (even when not, actually), AND being quite quiet when a Mystic 9mm suppressor is attached.... 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I live directly in front of one of the bike paths in Fl. Would be nice to get hunting rights on a bit of property with a rational distance of me but that is not going to happen.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, hope you can make this work. I think the Contender-based carbine is still a great platform, Encore if you must. Check the hog-hunting forum at accuratereloading.com and look for posts by Bobby Tomek. He kills a lot of hogs with the milder Contender/Bullberry chamberings in a carbine.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Kinda fun to scrape the mold off of an old post once in a while.