Great website I found on reloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Great website I found on reloading

Post by shooter »

I was looking around on youtube a few weeks ago for videos on different things, and I stumbled on some ammosmith.com videos. They have a website, and have a whole list of videos. Very instructional and informative. They don't cover quite every aspect of reloading, but they are getting there. They have sections on different types of dies, case trimming, swaging, casting, etc. If ya'll haven't heard of their site, I would suggest at least taking a look. Here's their website:

It's (surprise) www.ammosmith.com
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Great website I found on reloading

Post by Andrew »

I came across them as well on YouTube and watched quite a bit of their videos. Very educational to say the least. If one has never seen it done, they have a great set of videos on how to load the 50BMG; very cool.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting the link :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Borregos wrote:Thanks for posting the link :D
Dittos!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Thank you for the link.Here's another good one in case you have not already seen it.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely worth checking out. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! 8)
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

shooter wrote:I was looking around on youtube a few weeks ago for videos on different things, and I stumbled on some ammosmith.com videos. They have a website, and have a whole list of videos. Very instructional and informative. They don't cover quite every aspect of reloading, but they are getting there. They have sections on different types of dies, case trimming, swaging, casting, etc. If ya'll haven't heard of their site, I would suggest at least taking a look. Here's their website:

It's (surprise) http://www.ammosmith.com
I checked it out. One of their posters, going by the handle Ammosmith, answered a question about the use of cast bullets, posed by a newbee who wanted to get into loading, and load for some leverguns---Marlins and Winnies. This Ammosmith person responded by saying that the newbee should find out if his rifles had microgroove barrels, and if so, cast bullets wouldn't work very well in microgroove barrels--but if the rifles had ballard rifling (like the Winnies) he'd be good to go. As someone who's cast, loaded, and shot ammo through both types of barrels, I'd have to say "what a crock"!! This subject has been debated for around 5 or 6 years at least, and anyone familiar with Marlins and cast bullet loading will tell you that cast bullets, sized properly, work just fine in microgroove Marlins. I take it that this Ammosmith guy is the founder of this website. It would appear that some posters on the Ammosmith website don't know much about loading cast bullets. The Cast Boolit website covers that phase of loading a huge amount better. :|
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Yup,... +1, jlchucker.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Would you guys please be quiet... I am trying to hide the fact that microgroove barrels can't shoot cast boolits from my 336. He's too dumb to know it and shoots an inch at 100 yards, and I'm okay with that. As long as we don't tell him maybe he'll keep doing it. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Not saying the site's perfect, just that there are a lot of informative videos on the site, IMO. I haven't spent much time on the forums over there. I just think that their videos alone are helpful to some, especially a new reloader.

Not that I'm a "newbie", but there are aspects of reloading that I personally haven't delved into yet, and they at least give me a starting point, or a good idea on how to do some of the things I've never done before.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Great site, I saved it on my "favorites" list. No matter our experience level, we can all learn more if we want to.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks much for posting. I'm sure I'll learn on there.

LK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

shooter wrote:Not that I'm a "newbie", but there are aspects of reloading that I personally haven't delved into yet, and they at least give me a starting point, or a good idea on how to do some of the things I've never done before.
I think we're all "newbies" to some aspects of shooting and reloading, whether we want to admit it or not.

Usually about the time I get to thinking I'm "smart" is when I spoil it all by going and doing something "dumb"... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

AJMD429 wrote:
shooter wrote:Not that I'm a "newbie", but there are aspects of reloading that I personally haven't delved into yet, and they at least give me a starting point, or a good idea on how to do some of the things I've never done before.
I think we're all "newbies" to some aspects of shooting and reloading, whether we want to admit it or not.

Usually about the time I get to thinking I'm "smart" is when I spoil it all by going and doing something "dumb"... :lol:
That's kind of what I was getting at, thus the quotations around the word newbie. Even though I have been reloading most of my life, and therefore are not new to the concept (newbie), there are many things I haven't attempted, or even heard of yet. Partly because of lack of interest, lack of money, lack of equipment, etc. I don't want it to come across that I think I have some large amount of knowledge and that I've heard it all/seen it all. I am just now getting more serious about getting past the basic aspects of casting and reloading. There are a lot of things I know how to do, and a lot of things I don't, and a lot of things I could improve on.

I'm like you, every time I think I have something down and know all about it, I usually screw it up in short order, lol.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

[/quote]
Usually about the time I get to thinking I'm "smart" is when I spoil it all by going and doing something "dumb"... :lol:[/quote]

aahhhh. it's not just me then. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Thanks for the link! I need to study up on lube & sizing for my cast bullets.