If you were betting on seeing an original 1894 clone........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

If you were betting on seeing an original 1894 clone........

Post by kaschi »

in the future, how long of a wait do you think it would be? Of course we have no way of knowing but I'm hoping sooner than later! :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: If you were betting on seeing an original 1894 clone........

Post by J Miller »

If you wait for an American company to make it, hell will freeze over first.

If you wait for an Italian company to make it, hell will just get a bit cooler.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Browning would be kinda neat! But I never get what I want, I have been whining about a BLR with a 20" Magnum contour barrel 4 ever. Goes to show you how important I am. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why would you want to bother with a clone or other foreign junk when there are 7 million originals out there? :wink: -------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Sixgun wrote:Why would you want to bother with a clone or other foreign junk when there are 7 million originals out there? :wink: -------------Sixgun
LISTEN TO SIXGUN ON THIS , BOYS !!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'm with Sixgun and Terry on this one. There are scads of REAL '94s out there right now, with prices lower than any clone will carry (unless it's a really crummy clone...).
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

...Because, while there are many "regular" (war and post war) Pre 64s out there, the point for many of us (and main point for a manufacturer) would be a brand new, relatively affordable, modern steel SRC and rifle (round and/or octagonal) to early full-on Pre War dimensional and cosmetic specs,...the likes of which have not been made since then. A war-era or post war Pre 64 saddle ring carbine (with SR and carbine butt), trapper or long rifle--combined with rounded receiver contours--generally doesn't exist (except one-offs or some very limited esoteric model).

Most of us know there are a lot of Winchesters out there, including what commonly is referred to as "Pre 64"...and many of us have a bunch of 'em. Great. What we--or I shouldn't assume, I'll say I--wish for is a NEW 1894 to ca. mid '20s spec carbine and rifle--in the configurations most were found in...but also perhaps adding some new (or old in the case of .38-55 or .32-40 fans) chamberings in addition to the good ol' .30-30. Wa la.

I'll even begrudgingly accept the tang safety if that's what it takes for a US manufacturer like Brownchester, but will not abide the rebounding hammer or combination. Someone like USFA might be able to make one without the junk, and the Italians most certainly can. It would be "nice" but not essential to keep it on our home soil--or at least home brand.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I know they're a lot of 'em out there and have been putting a dent in their population :lol: but what gak says sums it up. I don't want to take a nice oldie out and do s/thing stupid like slip, fall and bang it up. I don't mind shooting the stuff out of a new gun. An old beauty...now that's a different matter!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pisgah wrote:I'm with Sixgun and Terry on this one. There are scads of REAL '94s out there right now, with prices lower than any clone will carry (unless it's a really crummy clone...).
Yep, I'm with ya boys. Buy the real deal and shoot the snot out of it. That's what they're made for.
Old Law Dawg
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I am solidly in the camp of those who advocate finding an original and just shooting the snot out of it. You'll get shooting a whole lot sooner, probably for less money.

Some years back I was invited to shoot-fest involving an 1897 or so Model 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF, sporting a 24" octagonal barrel, crescent buttplate and almost none of its original bluing. We ran 40 rounds of brand new 150 grain WW Power Points through it and couldn't seen to miss a gallon jug of water out to 150 yards. Its current owner took it out in rainy weather the next season and bagged a nice buck with it. The old rifle was still making meat at nearly 100 years old.

To me the greatest shame is for these rifles to languish unused.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

kimwcook wrote:
Pisgah wrote:I'm with Sixgun and Terry on this one. There are scads of REAL '94s out there right now, with prices lower than any clone will carry (unless it's a really crummy clone...).
Yep, I'm with ya boys. Buy the real deal and shoot the snot out of it. That's what they're made for.

yup.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've got a 1917 SRC and several "Pre 64s" that have had--and continue to have--just such proper field use by me and those before me. However, at some point, I in my remaining years (I hope!) and those that follow me might like to start creating our own history by shooting the snot out of some "new old" guns that are at least very reminiscent of the "good ol' days" (firearms wise). That's what this thread is about.... Doesn't mean I'm going to quit shooting the great ones from the '50s--they're my core guns--but the '17 is going to get retired (from significant field duty) so it can be passed on in reasonable shape to my antecedents.

This is the appeal of the pre-safety Browning 86s and 92s--quality repros of the past's best, plus the Italian '73s and now (potentially) the Chiappa 86s and 92s as well. Although the Pre War 94s admittedly aren't as scarce as these other guns' original role-models, nice, "affordable," shootable ones you don't mind treating like they were new are getting there. The early Pre War '94 I would think could be the next in line for a similar repro treatment.
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

Post by Missouri Mule »

Sixgun wrote:Why would you want to bother with a clone or other foreign junk when there are 7 million originals out there? :wink: -------------Sixgun

Thats just the Winchester brand, if you add in the Marlin, Savage, and various other single shots so chambered, you have over ten million rifles out there. Hunting one up isn't that hard. Finding one who's owner isn't charging gold plated prices is a different critter... :D
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

My question was relating to WHEN you think(time frame) an original style 1894 clone will make its debut, not WHAT you think of the idea itself. I know that there are millions of 94's out there. The post 64 variation does nothing for me. What I'd like to see, though, is a US made one preferably(Big Horn Armory maybe?) that is a true-blue to detail pre 64 in the SRC and Standard Rifle configurations without tang safety, rebounding hammer and angle eject. You can't wrong a guy for being a taditionalist who wants some brand new ones. I shoot the oldies too but I don't over shoot them. All we really need is a new, pre 64 style Model 1894 action. Then a guy could build any darn caliber and configuration he wants. Imagine those possibilities. :shock:
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

What is an "original clone"? Seems a contradiction in terms there. Didn't think a gun could be both. But for clones, isn't the Mossberg as close as we're gonna get?

LK
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

jmho on safe queens.

If you take an older mod 94 and dont shoot it here are some other thing that you might do

you would have a rottwieler, german shepard, or doberman and have its teeth removed to make it nicer

you would have a labrador retiriever and never let it go into the water

you would have a corvette or a mustang and never drive it over 50 miles per hour

you would have a one ton ford, chevy, or dodge truck with 4whl dr and only carry groceries to and from the store.

you and your wife have a 6000 square foot house with 3 swimming pools

you have a cessna 310 twin engine airplane and only fly it in the pattern.

you have weatherby 460 magnum and never shoot at anything bigger than a rabbit

you have significant other that is a super model and you only want her wear a burka

If you do these things and choose to do so, hurrah for you. but dont expect me to agree with your decisions.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

and furthermore, to have a shooter like just about any good rifle, to not shoot it is to humiliate it and embaras it in front of the other guns in the safe might as well paint it pink or chartruse. A collecters piece is different, but with over 7 mllion built that will be few and far between.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm also in the camp of get a decent older one and use it.

I'm not afraid to make one the way I want it either. I have a pre-64 carbine that I changed the ugly to me ramp front sight on to the early carbine type, and moved the band forward where it's supposed to be, put a long wood fore end on it, sling, and Lyman no 56 sight. I had a good welder weld up the extra screw slots in the barrel and mag tube, and cleaned them up and cold blued them. It's one of my favorites, and it gets used and carried more than any other lever.

I have a '27 carbine I put a spare barrel on and now it's a 16 1/2" truck/rainy weather gun.

The same pre-64 94 carbine, Browning 92, and Browning 86 carbine. All have been shamelessly modified, and I like them all vastly better now than in "original" condition. Where is the best value?

I have a couple other pre-64's and pre war guns that have been used/modified/stripped/ etc before I got them, and they are going to become various 38-55 20" short round barrel rifle, 22" octagon rifle, 20" short rifle round barrel projects. Also have a post 64 that now wears a 38-55 carbine barrel, checkered high grade wood, and the receiver edges beveled off nicely.

Maybe some don't approve of my modifying my guns, but I really don't care. I use them and enjoy them, even more so when they are just how I like them. I'm just amazed that guys won't put decent sights and slings on modern made guns like Brownings and Winchesters. Maybe it's a character definciency, but almost every gun I look at with intent to buy, I think about what I'd change on it. I have particular things I like, and am not shy about getting a gun how I want it for my use.

I would like to lay hands on an angle eject receiver (or donor gun) and build an older style short rifle with nice wood, and a Leupold 1-4x scope for low light use. It will have standard half cock safety, and if a tang safety is present, it will get welded up and refinished. The receiver is likely about all the original part of the gun that I'd use.
Last edited by Malamute on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm with Terry. I buy old guns NOW because they beat new guns by a mile and they cost less. The Winchester 1894 is no different. There are MILLIONS out there without safeties, angle eject, or stupifingly elevated price tags.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun & Terry are right. 'Sides, you probably won't live long enough to see what you want. My oldest 1894 is an 1898, my newest is a 1979. They're all grand, some are nicer and fancier than others... but all have and will be shot. I refuse to forego the pleasure of shooting a mdl 94 Winchester just so it'll be a new one. Remember, it's only new till you send in the Warranty card, then it's used, whether you EVER shoot it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

agreed. no repro's gonna beat the real thing. i have a 1915-17? src 30wcf. that i shoot and hunt with as much as i can. not really worried about resale value, don't buy um for that. i'd buy a src rippoff with the rebounding trigger and tang safety {BUT NO ANGLE_EJECT :roll: } cause thats the only way anybody will manufacture one in the real, liability conscience world :x . especially one in a 450 marlin, 356 wcf, or a .307wcf. since i already have the 30wcf. 8)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have always wondered about that myself. You can buy a great "real" one for far less than what a "new" one would probably cost and likely have a better rifle.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

jnyork wrote:
I have always wondered about that myself. You can buy a great "real" one for far less than what a "new" one would probably cost and likely have a better rifle.
------
Not decent, cosmetically decent, shootable Pre War (carbines especially) you won't...at least that's what I'm talking about. If they'd make THAT spec--even with tang safety--for what they were selling 94s for before Connecticut-closing hype, that'd be a cool thing IMO. That's not what the majority of decent Pre Wars are selling for.

No one's arguing the availability of the "regular" Pre 64s--that I know of. I agree, they are out there to be had--and I've had and have them--happy camper. Geez, none of what's discussed in this type thread--pro or con--are "needs," folks.You guys are arguing AGAINST the introduction of a good thing? That's a new one. It's not like a) you have to buy the new (hypothetical) gun or b) ot's taking anything away from you!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

gak wrote:
jnyork wrote:
------
Not decent, cosmetically decent, shootable Pre War (carbines especially) you won't...at least that's what I'm talking about. If they'd make THAT spec--even with tang safety--for what they were selling 94s for before Connecticut-closing hype, that'd be a cool thing IMO. That's not what the majority of decent Pre Wars are selling for.

No one's arguing the availability of the "regular" Pre 64s--that I know of. I agree, they are out there to be had--and I've had and have them--happy camper. Geez, none of what's discussed in this type thread--pro or con--are "needs," folks.You guys are arguing AGAINST the introduction of a good thing? That's a new one. It's not like a) you have to buy the new (hypothetical) gun or b) ot's taking anything away from you!
GOOD POINT
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm basically in agreement with what most people posted here but I'd still just like to see the 94 made again the way it was made before 1964. When I said "clone", I used that term because I don't foresee Winchester making them here again, but maybe someone else would
make one to the original pre 64 specs. If you like lever guns, you can't be against someone building more of them. PERIOD. So back to my original question: Will there in the future be an 1894 again? YES OR NO?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

NO. :(
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Plenty of original shooters out there. Here's mine.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

New production in pre-64 spec, I doubt it.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

kaschi wrote:in the future, how long of a wait do you think it would be? Of course we have no way of knowing but I'm hoping sooner than later! :wink:
Except for some minor cosmetics there's not enough difference between a pre USRA 94 and a post war to get excited about.
IMHO buying a good Winchester marked 94 in any configuration is far better than anything that could be produced and dumped on the market by foreign makers.
It's sorta like the Colt model P clones, they sortalook ok and they sorta feel ok , but they ain't a Colt. Same with the imported 92's, so there's absolutely nothing to make me want a 94 with the same problems.