Why not a powerful 38-55 load???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Why not a powerful 38-55 load???

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey folks. The thread about "30-30 or 38-55" raised the question: Why doesn't one of the major ammo manufacturers offer a more powerful 38-55 load for big game hunting? Do they actually think that the cartridge is only used for cowboy action? Or is it because they are "protecting" us from using it in older model guns?

Large scale prevention of injury produces large scale abandonment of common sense.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why not a powerful 38-55 load???

Post by Nath »

I often wonder!

They do different levels in 45/70 and it sems to work!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Just my thoughts here but the same reason they don't offer too many high power loads for any "old time" chamberings. Folks still buy factory ammo to shoot in older guns that may not be up to par on soundness. A few folks make high power rounds for the 45-70 and such but these come with serious warning and are not the "mass" marketed rounds of the major ammo manufactures. In a word (or two) Safety and Liability.

There is also the idea that for the purpose of hunting with the style firearms that use these older rounds the original loading power was all you needed to get the job done. Different time and different style of hunting.

again just my opinion here so take it for what it is worth :roll:
regards

3T
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess you guys have covered it...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

3T wrote:Just my thoughts here but the same reason they don't offer too many high power loads for any "old time" chamberings. Folks still buy factory ammo to shoot in older guns that may not be up to par on soundness. A few folks make high power rounds for the 45-70 and such but these come with serious warning and are not the "mass" marketed rounds of the major ammo manufactures. In a word (or two) Safety and Liability.

+1 but I will also say that there just isn't as many 38-55s around as there are 45-70s, so the small market for the hot rod 45-70 ammo is even smaller for the 38-55. While it's a great cartridge in it's own right, if a hot rod version would be popular and profitable, then the 375 Winchester would have stayed in production. No demand, no supply.
NRA Life Member
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

How about Buffalo Bore?

Mack
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Yep. It's too bad that we have to protect people from having to use common sense.

Aside from Buffalo Bore, I do see that Ten-X offers a 260 grain/1675 fps load and Conley Precision offers a 255/1740. That ups the ante quite a bit, however they are INSANELY expensive!
Rest assured, if I ever get a 38-55, I WILL be purchasing some dies! :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Bogie,

That's the only way to go. I've had a couple 38-55s over the years and still have one Lone Star Roller and hand loading is the ticket. I shoot a 255grn gas checked at around 1900 fps that is plenty potent for most hunting I would ever do. You also pay terrible high money for factory loaded ammo.
regards

3T
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

TedH wrote:
3T wrote:Just my thoughts here but the same reason they don't offer too many high power loads for any "old time" chamberings. Folks still buy factory ammo to shoot in older guns that may not be up to par on soundness. A few folks make high power rounds for the 45-70 and such but these come with serious warning and are not the "mass" marketed rounds of the major ammo manufactures. In a word (or two) Safety and Liability.

+1 but I will also say that there just isn't as many 38-55s around as there are 45-70s, so the small market for the hot rod 45-70 ammo is even smaller for the 38-55. While it's a great cartridge in it's own right, if a hot rod version would be popular and profitable, then the 375 Winchester would have stayed in production. No demand, no supply.
sad,but true :cry:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

3T wrote:Bogie,

That's the only way to go. I've had a couple 38-55s over the years and still have one Lone Star Roller and hand loading is the ticket. I shoot a 255grn gas checked at around 1900 fps that is plenty potent for most hunting I would ever do. You also pay terrible high money for factory loaded ammo.
And I think a .377-.380" 255 grain hard-cast bullet at 1900 fps would drop anything in North America out to as far as you could shoot it. :wink:
Candidly, with all due respect to the 30-30, I'm not sure why the 38-55 hasn't been a more popular big game cartridge. It has always intrigued me. It's still hanging around after over 130 years!

I just got my first reloading equipment. And once I get comfortable reloading for my 35 Remington, a levergun in 38-55 will be on my list! :wink:

bogie
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keep in mind the 38-55 was a target round in its early days. Was highly thought of for the short range out to 300 yds and occassionally on calm days would work in midrange matches to 600 yds. Hunting with the round came about as a secondary thought.
There were several variations of the "38-55" but the Winchester is the one that survived the test of time.
It was primarily a blackpowder cartridge and even Winchester wouldn' put it in the nickle steel barrels of the 94 unless special ordered. They did however for a time preceeding its obsolesence offer a high speed load for the nickle steel guns with a claimed velocity just short of 1600 fps
But even in its "anemic" 255 at 1350 fps, it offers a bullet of better ballistic properties and sectional density than any 255 gr bullet heaved out of a 44 magnum handgun, not to mention the ability of the rifle to be more apt to put the bullet where it needs to go , than the handgun.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My guess is that a heavier factory 38-55 loading would sell fairly well if it were 'affordable'. I don't know what factory costs but have heard it is terribly expensive.

I shoot 280gr cast at 1750fps through my Marlin CB with no problem. A 255 @ 1600-1700fps would make a pretty healthy factory load.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I was looking at the availability of 38-55 stuff the other day, and it looks like at the moment the only place that had 38-55 ammo was Grafs and that was Winchester at almost 40$ abox. :shock:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If someone made a modern gun chambered for it a regular thing & it caught on someone would make hotter ammo for it.
But they dont cuz it wont so they dont. Make sense? :lol:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I think the other thing is the varying size of bores. If you put a hot rod .380 bullet load it something that really needs .377 , then you can have pressure issues. That's why it's more of a custom load more than any other caliber I have.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Winchester made a blind stab at it -- called it the .37 Winchester
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:Winchester made a blind stab at it -- called it the .375 Winchester
Fixed that! And a very good stab it was!

I have a Marlin chambered for that round, and wouldn't give it up!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!