OT- Concealed carry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Concealed carry

Post by Andrew »

This year's tax time was good to us and it may be the best time for me to land a CCW. I have a couple in mind for what I would like to carry/shoot and what would fit me the best but I always run into the same dilemma. I have no idea where I would put a concealed piece if I were to get one. I have looked on a lot of websites and forums for suggestions and haven't really found much that I love yet.

The obvious first place to try would be the pocket with a pocket holster. I don't wear 'painted-on jeans' but the idea of pulling something out in a hurry doesn't sound promising. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm expecting too much of it; don't know.

In the waistband would probably be the next choice but I worry about the fact that I am in a t-shirt most of the time and it may show through more than I would like at times.

I would really like to get my permit and start carrying full time but I want to get some of this sorted out first so I can find the combination of concealment/accessibility that makes me comfortable.

So, what are your prefered spots to carry when you wear a t-shirt and bluejeans 90+% of the time?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Concealed carry

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had my CCW for four years now(OH finally got off it's butt and passed a CC law) and haven't settled on any one combo yet.
I switch back and forth between a Glock 26 and a Cobra .38spl derringer depending on
where and what I'm doing.
I was carrying a Colt .25 acp that was deadly accurate but my Dad repossesed it :oops:

My boss recently reversed the company position on conceald carry and could start packing again.
The usual practice is the Glock in it's IWB holster inside the carry pocket of my Dillon
attache case. I'm in and out of my truck all day and wearing the pistol all day gets uncomfortable.

Recently I've been wanting something smaller than the Glock but with more firepower than the
Cobra. Looked at the LCP and the Taurus TCP last weekend. Too small for my hands.
Think I'm going back to the j-frame.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

I've used an inside the waist carry for years....Colt 1911 Combat Commander...45 ACP.....

My wife the kindergarten teacher uses a small-of-the-back Colt 1991A1 .... 45 ACP...
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've been a CCW permit holder since 2001 and was in law enforcement before that carrying concealed. I've still not settled on one setup. My attire usually dictates what I'm carrying. Sometimes a Baby Browning in a front pants pocket, sometimes a Walther PPK in a IWB holster and sometimes a Glock 36. I would like to get a really good ccw holster for the Glock.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I was limited to one carry piece. So I'm no help to you at all! :D
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you can't conceal it, you won't have it with you. The lightest handgun may not be the best defense gun, but it's better than no gun at all.

I absolutely love my J-frame airlite. It will digest .357 or .38 +P. It is not a pleasure shooting gun as the recoil is quite brisk. But, it is so light you can wear it all day and never get tired of the bulk. A J-frame is a little thick,though.

I looked at a friend's LCP and did not like the long trigger pull. I would rather use my Glock 26.

I am seriously considering buying a kahr in .380 or 9mm (preferred). They are slim, but there's not much to hold on to in the way of grip. It is concealable, though.

If you notice one common trait of the guns I have/might have. they are all simple. Pull the trigger they go, "Bang". I don't want to have to give a DNA sample to make the thing go off. I like inherent safeties, but not redundant ones.

I have all kinds of holsters known to man, but my favorite way to carry is with it slipped in a coat or pants pocket.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

I wear a tee or pullover shirt with the tails out when carrying a handgun off duty. Select a weapon in a competent chambering (9mm or larger) that fits your hand and a good quality strong side holster and high quality thick belt to support the weight and provide ridigity. Practice drawing the gun from concealment at home until it is second nature. I carried a 4" barreled S&W 64 this way before being forcibly switched to a Glock 17 20 years ago. Our newer Glock 23 is ideal for off as well as on the job. My current off duty carry holster is a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster and Galco 1 1/2 inch heavy belt made for carrying a gun. Don't forget at least one reload! Pocket holsters are great if you walk or stand a lot. I used one with a 5 shot .38 airweight S&W in the 1980's as a second gun. For me. they don't work so well with a Glock 27, due to the thickness, weight, and the numerous square corners that hang in most pockets. Pocket holsters are also inaccesible when seated and are usually pointing at anyone sitting across from you. Hope this helps - these tips are from almost thirty years of daily concealed carry.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Almost forgot - if you wear loose clothing a IWB holster will hide much better than you think. Wear your new rig for at least a week every day from the time you dress in the morning until you retire for the night and you will feel naked without it.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

There are a lot of answers to this -- from pocket .380s, like the P3AT, the LCP and the P380, to dressing around your weapon (many carry full size, both IWB and OWB if they buy their pants a bit larger or wear layers or a vest), to SmartCarry (worn under your pants), to the holster shirts (e.g., by 5.11 and others), to small-of-the-back, ankle and shoulder holsters with a jacket/shirt over them, etc.

Holster shirts are good, especially when using a button up shirt over top. Many take off a couple of buttons and sew them on top of the button hole and then use velcro underneath to provide fast access to the pistol. Many carry a full-size pistol in a SmartCarry. Others just get a 5:00 IWB and wear a t-shirt over it. They also have tuckable IWB's that allow you to wear a tucked shirt without seeing the holster. I carry a micro 9mm in my pockets (dockers, cargo pants, and casual dress pants, etc.) and drawing is not an issue (though front pockets of jeans is a little tougher). Some find that overalls rather than jeans solve the issue.

No doubt, often compromises/changes are required to carry full-time.

Check out DefensiveCarry.com for a lot more discussion on the topic.

FWIW, I have a PM9 in 9mm that fits in my pants or coat pocket, but I also have IWB, shoulder, MOB and OWB holsters for it. It depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going as to how I pack it.
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, to start with, get the one that you will definately carry with you - probably the pocket pistol. I would go with the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec .380. I have the Kel-Tec .32 ACP - got this before they came out with the .380's but its similar in size and it rides very well in the pocket with a thin pocket holster.

I use two different pistols for carry - the Kel-Tec and an IWB holstered Kahr-9. The Kahr is on of the older models - electroless nickel all-steel and isn't exactly light, but it hides very well and shoots like a dream. A simple T-shirt conceals it very well.

You do have to get over the "discoverophobia" that goes with concealed carry - just remember that even if people see "something" under your shirt, they won't know what it is - and will assume a cell phone. Which, by the way is a great way to help conceal your pistol - wear a cell phone holster right next to it...

The new Kel-Tec P9 is something to look at - the cost is low, the weight is low and its very very thin and disapears nicely - the down side to that is its not that fun to shoot, but in an emergency, who cares? You wont' be worrying about how it feels...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've tried several products over the past dozen years, and for comfort and the way I usually dress one of these two usually seems to work.

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

http://bellybandccw.com/

My CCW firearm is a Kimber Ultra Carry II, a Colt Mustang, or a Ruger LCP, depends on clothing and activity.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I bought a Ruger LCP in .380 a few months ago. It goes everywhere with me, in my front pocket. Sure, it prints a bit, but unless someone who knows what to look for studies my crotch (and with looks like mine, it happens more than you'd think) no one knows it's a firearm.
I chose the Ruger because it shot better than the Kel-Tec. Plenty accurate for personal defense distance and affordable to boot.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try a j frame or an SP101 in your front pocket. If you don't intend to shoot it a lot the LCR might be a good choice as well. I just can't see it holding up to 1,000's of rounds like an SP101 would.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pharmseller wrote: Sure, it prints a bit, but unless someone who knows what to look for studies my crotch (and with looks like mine, it happens more than you'd think) no one knows it's a firearm.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew, like others, what I carry is greatly influenced by the weather, since that influences what I wear. Down here in SC, much of the year is light clothing - your jeans and t-shirt example (though I'm getting too old and fat for a t-shirt :roll: ), or, more often, shorts and a t-shirt/golf shirt. I prefer to carry my Para P12.45 or my Browning Hi-Power "Commader" clone in a small-of-the-back inside the waistband holster (a Hume) because it oftens the best concealment on my frame. If I can't I step down to a Walther PPK, still in a inside the waistband holster. If I can't carry that without it being obvious, then it is my Davis .38 Derringer inside a pocket holster. I don't wear tight clothing either, so even in shorts this works. However, as you note, you no longer have a fast "display" option.

Good luck - let us know what you pick.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I carry a S&W 442 J-frame in a DeSantis pocket holster in my right front pocket at all time unless I'm in bed. I usually wear cargo pants or carpenter jeans and the loose fit is a bonus. With my work I need the complete concealability but ready access this provides. I gave my carry choice a lot of thought and decided in favor of the utter reliability of a hammerless revolver with five shots over a small auto. There are carry and use situations (eg: jacket pocket carry, contact shots) where an auto pistol's slide may be pushed out of battery and not fire or fire once and the slide not fully cycle and therefore not deliver a second shot. Concealed carry and how to go about is a very personal choice. No two people are going to go about it the same way. On a side note, for work the other day I had to go into an area and situation where I thought I might have some problems with the individuals I was dealing with, so I had my trusty J-frame in my pocket and my Glock 22 on my hip concealed under my coat. Nothing like the confidence of being prepared!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

For Phoenix summer, Star model S, .380, quality ammo, Bianchi holster for Colt Mustang ( modified ) 2 extra mags.
New Mexico winter, Llama Mini Max, 9mm, quality ammo, 2 extra mags, *** holster.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Sig P220 tucked in my waist band in the small of my back. If I feel the need to carry I want something that will do the job. If I dont feel threatened I dont carry.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

winter weather, glock 27. hot summer keltec .32. in between, keltec pf9. i'll admit that i'd like to have a .45 commander on me ,if i'm stuck to only a pistole to defend myself. i'd rather have a sub gun. :D it comes down to what you can shoot well and conceal well. lot of good ideas here. better to have any gun than no gun. most non professionals are apt to have some type of mouse gun for the reasons stated above. find whatever works best for your situation. practice and familiarity are far more important that PRECIEVED knockdown/one shot stopping power. whatever you choose, shoot often and pray to GOD that you will never need to use it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I carry most every day with an IWB on or behind my right hip. I wear a T-shirt almost constantly once it gets warm and all I changed was to stop tucking in my shirt. Generally I switch to a small 380 in the summer but I'v carried my Beretta & my S&W 39 too without trouble. IMO people are pretty unobservant critters most of the time. But I might be more careful if exposing it were a big deal. In CT its not really a CCW permit, its a permit to carry and theres no law against open carry with a permit despite what many people & LEO think. In the past people have been arested & lost their permits only to have the cases tossed & their rights restored. Theres an active movement here in CT to get the laws & law enforcement on the same page regarding this. So while I do choose to conceal because I'm not into necessary controversy or attention, it doesn't matter if it does pop out & some soccer mom has a hissy fit.
So far nobody has noticed or said a word if they have regardless of whats there. People carry alot of things on their belts nowadays anyway. I honestly think as much about comfort as anything else.

Heres a couple pics of the 39 disapearing,
This is the holster,
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You'll develop a fondness for un-tucked shirts of various styles, from T-shirts to 'casual work' shirts. Long sweaters, in cooler weather.

Plus, although you can be cited for 'flaunting' - as long as you've made a 'reasonable' effort to be discreet, you should be ok.

Also - MOST people (excepting LEOs who may assume non-cops with guns are 'enemy', and excepting criminals who know how to spot 'hardened targets') are very unobservant, and won't notice much.

If you're in an area like southern Indiana, where something like one of eight adults has a carry permit, it also isn't an "issue" unless you're in some up-tight, academic, non-real-world workplace of some sort.

When I worked as a pharmacy assistant in Ohio, before there was ANY 'permit' for concealed carry, I only owned two handguns - a Ruger MkI .22 LR, and a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. So, I carried the Super Blackhawk in a Bianchi, under a partly-tucked-in shirt, with a light white jacket over it. Proof that either a) you can conceal anything if you're brave enough, or b) college students are idiots. Probably both. Later I got a Charter Arms Bulldog and a clip-on IWB holster.

I never worried about "quick draw" - I just want the gun WITH me, vs. unattended in a vehicle, or at home. Once a thug has you in HIS sights, you're screwed, but if you see trouble coming, the gun can be in your hand at the get-go. I carried that Bulldog unloaded, in a very inaccesable boot/ankle holster TO work (dropped off by my wife in dayling), and had it out, loaded, and IN MY HAND inside a paper bag I'd save from lunch, all the way home walking 12 blocks through ghetto at 2 a.m. I even had to 'drop the bag' once - the irony being it was in a 'patrolled' parking lot some 100 yards from a 'security' booth. The three unfortunates decided to leave me alone that night, but probably found some other sucker in that 'gun-free-victim' state.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SoftwarePro
Levergunner

Post by SoftwarePro »

I prefer wheelguns myself. I found that my .357 SP101 is most comfortable for me in a OWB with a t-shirt or untucked flannel shirt over it. Dark, patterned shirts seem to work best. The SP101 also fits well in a coat pocket in cold weather. If I need "deep concealment", it hides well in a tuckable IWB. The thing I really like about the SP is that it's built like a tank, allowing me to practice often with what I carry and not get stung too bad or worry about shooting it loose, unlike the lightweight .357 snubbies. This more than makes up for the extra ounces IMO.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I really appreciate the comments you guys have left. They have given me a couple good ideas. I can see now that not only do you have to accommodate different attire but maybe even switch between different weapons to match what is going on. That will come into play later when I can get another CCW.

I have been leaning toward the LCR because I got to hold one the other day and really liked the way it felt. It had more of a 'grip' to it than the other snubbies I have held before and really made me confident I could hold onto it. I have shot a P3-AT before and was unable to consistently hold it. A couple times it was just a smidgen away form leaving my hands, so, the LCP being approximately the same size I am hesitant to have one for protection. The LCP would conceal, on my frame, quite nicely though.

I think, at least right now, that the LCR is in the running strong. Probably an IWB on either side of my gut up front but with a clip on holster I could try it in other spots as well.

Thanks again for the help, guys.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

First of all let me state that I have not read all the other replies in this thread and my opinion might be directly opposite to those of other people. I am responding to your question not other people's responses. They are my opinions and not RULES. If anyone disagrees that is their privilege and no skin off my nose and hopefully none off theirs.

Let me further state that I have no illusions of being an expert. I am nothing more than an opinionated old gun crank who has carried a gun practically every day of his life for over 30 years. My opinions and advise are based on my experiences not just theory or repeating the opinions of gunwriters.

Andrew, you say you are a "jeans and tee-shirt kind of guy." It is my opinion you MUST make one of three decisions.

#1 -- Continue to wear jeans and tee-shirt and be unarmed most of the time.

#2 -- Be satisfied with a pocket pistol of some sort. (Not a dreadful idea.)

#3 -- Change your wardrobe.

I won't even discuss Option #1. If it were a valid option we would not be having this discussion in the first place.

More than 30 years ago I had to face similar decisions, but they were easier for me. I've never been a "jeans and tee-shirt kind of guy." But I still faced the same decisions. I've made extensive use of both option #2 and #3. Pocket pistols have a definite place in defensive handgunnery. Unlike Mas Ayoob who has said, "Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns," I say "Better a mouse gun than no gun at all." So i will discuss option #2 first.

When it comes to pocket pistols I prefer J-frame revolvers over all others. Derringers don't shoot often enough, not to mention the ungodly stiff hammer and trigger pull. Derringer in good defensive calibers are also very heavy and bulky compared to a J-frame revolver. Way too many pocket pistols are entirely two underpowered and often too finicky to live in a pocket. There have been plenty of times when I've gone about with nothing but an Iver Johnson TP-22 in my pocket. It was far from ideal but I could put seven Hyper-Velocity Hollowpoints into the face of a B-27 target in just a couple of seconds, and if I'd had to draw and fire that is exactly what I'd have done.

It is my opinion that none of the traditional pocket automatic calibers are powerful enough to be reliable manstoppers, so I've never seriously considered any of them. One of the rare good things to come from slickwillie's Assault Weapon Ban and Magazine Restriction was a good crop of pocket sized pistols in serious pistol calibers. The pocket-sized 9 mmP, .40 S&W, and best of all .45 ACP calibers are worth considering, if you like flatguns.

In my opinion, pocket-sized revolvers are much more reliable and generally more powerful and accurate than pocket autos. After years of trying different pistols, I've reached the conclusion that the absolute best pocket revolvers are the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard and Centennial Series revolvers. Both are 5-shot J-Frames and both are available in either .38 S&W Special or .357 Magnum. The Centennials are hammerless DA only revolvers and the Bodyguards have a shrouded hammer with SA capability. Both offer a smooth snag-free draw from the pocket and both may be fired repeatedly without drawing at all. (You just can't draw faster than shooting through your coat pocket.) Both series of revolvers are available in stainless steel (my preference) blued steel, aluminum, and the skeeter-weight alloys

Anyone who knows me knows I detest the titanium, scandium, unobtanium skeeter-weight alloy revolvers. But even I will admit that a lightweight .38 S&W Special pocket revolver can be highly useful. Just don't be dumb enough to think a 13-ounce revolver is really a .357 Magnum. My Always Gun, an S&W M-640 Centennial weighs 25 ounces which is at the upper limit of true pocket revolver weight, but it is still very compact an concealable.

BTW, if you opt for a pocket pistol/revolver you really do need a good pocket holster. I ruined hundreds of pockets before I broke down and made myself a pocket holster. There are lots of different models on the market ranging from an Uncle Mikes one-size fits nothing well, to finely made holsters from custom makers such as Simply Rugged.

Option #3.

Here is where we will probably find the most differences of opinion. That is fine. Every gun crank has to find the answers that work best for him. These are my answers based on my personal experiences. Only on two subjects will I be rather insistent and dogmatic. I might as well get them out of the way immediately to clear the air.

Small of the Back, *** Holsters, avoid them like the Devil avoids Holy Water. I've known two different guys who required back surgery because they fell and landed on their *** holstered pistols. Aside from the health and safety aspects, *** holsters easily give away the fact you are packing iron. Sit down on a hard bench and it will "CLUNK" if you don't exercise great care. Bend over even the tiniest amount and if you are wearing anything lighter than a parka it will print. perhaps worst of all, it is an impossibility to draw from an *** holster without sweeping the muzzle across your body.

Ankle holsters are for carrying second or third guns, not your main or only weapon. To draw from an ankle holster you must either kneel, desperately grab a handful of trouser leg and draw, while doing so you offer a bad guy the perfect opportunity to demonstrate his field goal kicking ability using your head as the ball. Or you have to raise your leg, desperately clutch your trouser leg trying to clear your weapon, while doing this awkward flamingo imitation a five-year-old could knock you on your butt. A bad guy would follow up by doing a fandango on your face. Reserve ankle holsters for your back-up gun.

How you dress depends on your climate. Dressed for extreme cold weather it is possible to conceal a 20" barreled M-92 SRC, I've done it. But such clothing would draw attention in a Southern summer, if it didn't cause heat stroke. I won't bother talking about packing iron in winter. If you have enough sense to carry a gun at all I won't need to remind you to dress in layers so you can remove your heavy coat and still have your gun concealed by a lighter cover garment.

For warmer weather long vests and long untucked shirts offer the best possibilities.

With vests you need to pay close attention to the armholes. Many vests with large armholes coupled with a high-riding holster lead to exposure of the gun's butt.

IMO the very best cover garment for summer wear is the Guyaberra Shirt, aka Mexican Wedding Shirt. But nearly any over-sized shirt designed to be untucked will work. Just be certain to buy your shirts or vests a couple of sized larger than normal to make room for you and your sidearm.

A most important part of concealed carry is your choice of gunleather. I'm absolutely certain that in a few years you will have a drawer full of different holsters you have tried and discarded or use only on certain occasions. If you don't you will be a great rarity. Most serious CCW folks have lots of holsters stshed away.

IMO as well as the opinion of many who are authorities, the best carry method is on the belt on the strong side. Your own preferences will determine the exact holster style you find most comfortable for you.

If you are of slim build you can make good use of an Inside the WaistBand holster. IMNSHO the very best of the breed is the Bianchi Pistol Pocket with the Sparks Summer Special coming a close second. I've not tried one but Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged Gunleather offers straps that can convert his outstanding Sourdough holster into an IWB holster. Unfortunately I've been unable to use IWB holsters with comfort for a number of years due to my size.

My preferred method of carry is a high-riding belt holster. For the last 20 years or so the most frequently used holster I own is an old Bucheimer Concealer. The reason that holster get so much use is because it fits my three favorite carry guns, an S&w M-19, an S&W M-686 and and Italian SAA. Bucheimer is, I believe, now defunct. I believe that a Sourdough Holster from Simply Rugged would be just as useful if not quite as versatile.

If you decide to try a shoulder holster, I wish you the best of luck. In over 30 years of trying different shoulder holsters, including some I've made myself, I've yet to find one that is comfortable, probably because of my size. if you try a shoulder holster, let me suggest you try what has been called The Superman Carry. Buy an over-sized Western-style shirt with snap closure and wear it over your shoulder holster. To draw simply rip the snaps open and draw. Without the snaps you'd better be handy with a needle and have a good supply of spare buttons on hand. This is pretty much the only way you can use a shoulder holster without wearing a jacket.

You also need to pay attention to your belt. If you have a selection of skinny belts, canvas webbing belts, or braided horsehair belts, throw them in the Goood Will box and replace them with stiff heavy leather belts that fit snugly in the belt loops or slots on your holster. A belt that fits your holster will hold it closer to your body and prevent the gunbutt from wagging like an advertising hooker.

Yet another option is the Fanny Pack holster. I've often used one over the years. The biggest problem is to find one that doesn't scream "THERE IS A GUN IN HERE!!" I'd suggest you look for one that is large enough to hold a service sized handgun, and one that has multiple compartments for spare ammo, keys, ID, etc. I used one in the Summer when working an insurance debit. The only person who ever knew what it held, besides my Staff Manager, another gun crank, was a sweet old black lady who warned me to watch out for those sorry punks in the neighborhood. I showed her what was in the fanny pack, she chuckled and encouraged me "you shoot them old sorry boys if the mess with you."

There are plenty of holsters on the market ranging from el cheapo ballistic nylon abominations to fine custom made leather creations. Other than advising you to buy good quality leather, I will largely leave the final choice to you, I've already told you my favorites. Just don't scrimp on the leather, an ill-fitting or uncomfortable holster can get you killed or arrested for brandishing a gun.

Of utmost importance, perhaps even more important than choice of gun or holster is knowing how to move while armed. If you are careless you will advertise the fact that you are armed, which could have disastrous results. Even the best choice of handgun and the very best concealment leather won't help if you make improper moves.

Here are four commandments that every pistol packer should take to heart.

#1 -- Follow your mother's orders, don't fidget and pull at your clothes! Constantly pulling down on a shirt or coat-tail is a dead giveaway that you are trying to hide something. Wear a suitable concealment garment and practice enough to have confidence that your concealment is maintained.

#2 -- When packing iron, NEVER bend over to pick up something from the ground or a low shelf. Bending at the waist will cause your cover garment to rise and expose your handgun or pull the cover garment tight enough to make it print obviously. Instead of bending, kneel on your gun-side knee.

#3 -- NEVER reach for anything on the top shelf with your gun hand. Doing so can cause your cover garment to rise and expose your sidearm. Use the other hand.

#4 -- Be careful how you sit, especially when sitting in a hardbacked seat. Sit carefully, don't just plop down. Don't ask me how I know that the 'THUNK' of gunbutt hitting a bench will silence a hamburger joint full of noisy teens.

There are other things that you will learn from experience but these are enough to get you started.

I know that my comments have grown to voluminous proportions, but I believe that your question is an important one. I've spent a good bit of time writing, rewriting and editing this post. It is not my intention to offend or argue with anyone, so if I've offended anyone, I'm sorry you took offense, I do not apologize for my opinions.

Congratulations on your CCW permit. I hope you can carry for the rest of your life without ever having to draw in defense of your life. But it is far better to be armed and not need a weapon than to need a weapon and not have it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!