OT Question about Benchmade spring-assisted knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Question about Benchmade spring-assisted knives

Post by Otto »

I have a Benchmade model 5220 knife I purchased from the military PX in Iraq. It is a lock-blade type knife with a spring-assisted opening mechanism. The Army, in its infinite wisdom, has decided I cannot bring the knife back to the States, as it is a “switchblade.” Separately, someone was nice enough to break the tip for me. I cannot send the knife to Benchmade for repair since, again, I can’t ship a “switchblade” out of theater or into the States.

I also have a model 522 which, as nearly as I can tell, is the exact same knife, except it is missing the opening spring and a secondary lock mechanism, thus making it a traditional lock-blade knife. I think I can order a new blade, and remove the offending spring while replacing the blade. Does anyone familiar with these knives? Can I modify it in the way I described?
Last edited by Otto on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Question about spring-assisted knives

Post by Pisgah »

Why, don't you know how deadly a spring can be???!!! Leave that nasty, dangerous weapon overe there with the terrorists!! :D

I have a Benchmade. It has a spring-assisted blade. In this state, possession of this knife is illegal.

It was given to me as a birthday gift by a good friend of mine -- a policeman.

Never fails to amaze me how stupid the law can get...
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT Question about spring-assisted knives

Post by Otto »

Pisgah wrote:Why, don't you know how deadly a spring can be???!!! Leave that nasty, dangerous weapon overe there with the terrorists!! :D

I have a Benchmade. It has a spring-assisted blade. In this state, possession of this knife is illegal.

It was given to me as a birthday gift by a good friend of mine -- a policeman.

Never fails to amaze me how stupid the law can get...
Ain't the law per se, it's the stinkin' Army. You know, the people that let the PX sell it to me in the first place.

I have no idea whether I can legally own this in Ohio, but it is irrelevant at this point. Cain't git it there no-how.

Even if it is illegal in Ohio, I live in a rural area where it would never be an issue until it became an issue, if you know what I mean.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Question about Benchmade spring-assisted knives

Post by Modoc ED »

Just put the frickin knife in a boot, sock, pair of skivies, the bottom of your barracks bag, or whatever or mail it to your Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, ex-wife, next-door-neighbor, "The Cookie Monster" or whoever.

Guys and gals have been doing that forever when sending stuff out of theater back home.

This is one of those times when it ain't a good thing to ask ole Sarge.
ED
Yer never too old
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Modoc ED wrote:Just put the frickin knife in a boot, sock, pair of skivies, the bottom of your barracks bag, or whatever or mail it to your Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, ex-wife, next-door-neighbor, "The Cookie Monster" or whoever.

Guys and gals have been doing that forever when sending stuff out of theater back home.

This is one of those times when it ain't a good thing to ask ole Sarge.
I know from personal observation this is true, but things aren't like they used to be. The first time I was here, the MP's went through everything pretty meticulously, and the rumor is that they are five times as anal now. If I were the devious type, I would remove the spring and stick it in my rifle cleaning kit, where it should go unnoticed.

I know a guy...

...who is trying to figure a way to get 3100 pieces of 5.56 brass home. 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I wouldn't think it illegal, if anybody disassembled something like a folding umbrella (ahem), and mailed the separate pieces to separate relatives on different days ................................ :roll:

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Just to be clear, is the knife an "auto", i.e., it opens by pressing a button, or an "assisted opening (AO)" knife, where the spring helps after some manual (thumb on stud or finger on flipper) intervention? I suspect from the number it's an auto BM (I have a 9050 BM).

The "autos" are llegal to import into the states, though BM can make and sell them here. The AOs, however, are entirely legal.

If it were me, as others have suggested, I'd take out the spring and just have it open by the stud for transport. BTW, the springs are sold on ebay all the time. So even if you chuck the spring, you can still have it replaced in the States.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

alnitak wrote:Just to be clear, is the knife an "auto", i.e., it opens by pressing a button, or an "assisted opening (AO)" knife, where the spring helps after some manual (thumb on stud or finger on flipper) intervention? I suspect from the number it's an auto BM (I have a 9050 BM).
Here is the knife in question: http://www.benchmade.com/products/5220
If it were me, as others have suggested, I'd take out the spring and just have it open by the stud for transport. BTW, the springs are sold on ebay all the time. So even if you chuck the spring, you can still have it replaced in the States.
I guess I was not clear in my original post: what you and others have suggested, has been my intention from the beginning. I needed to know whether, and how, the spring can be removed. Apparently it can be, but I still need to know the method.

Will removing the large screw on which the blade pivots, free the blade? Will this also give me access to the spring, or do I have to completely disassemble the knife? Often times there are "tricks" to these types of things that make full disassembly unnecessary.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Otto wrote:I guess I was not clear in my original post: what you and others have suggested, has been my intention from the beginning. I needed to know whether, and how, the spring can be removed. Apparently it can be, but I still need to know the method.
Yes, the spring can be removed. Just unscrew the retaining screws around the outside of the handle and the larger pivot screw. You will require a torx wrench (either #6 or #8 for the smaller screws...I forget). Once apart, you will see the round coiled (3-4 coils) spring with a tab/extension on one end. Just take it out and put the knife back together. The only issue I see is that the Presidio doesn't have a thumb stud, so it can't pass for a normal folder. With just the button, they may question it, even if the knife doesn't operate in auto mode.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

alnitak wrote:
Otto wrote:I guess I was not clear in my original post: what you and others have suggested, has been my intention from the beginning. I needed to know whether, and how, the spring can be removed. Apparently it can be, but I still need to know the method.
Yes, the spring can be removed. Just unscrew the retaining screws around the outside of the handle and the larger pivot screw. You will require a torx wrench (either #6 or #8 for the smaller screws...I forget). Once apart, you will see the round coiled (3-4 coils) spring with a tab/extension on one end. Just take it out and put the knife back together. The only issue I see is that the Presidio doesn't have a thumb stud, so it can't pass for a normal folder. With just the button, they may question it, even if the knife doesn't operate in auto mode.
Thanks for the info. I have access to the torx for the pivot screw, but will have to order the smaller ones. As far as the thumb stud, as I mentioned, the blade tip is broken. When I order the new blade, I'll just get one with the stud. Done deal.

How do you like your knife? I've never really been a knife guy, but since I bought one I've been amazed at how much I use it.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Otto wrote:Thanks for the info. I have access to the torx for the pivot screw, but will have to order the smaller ones. As far as the thumb stud, as I mentioned, the blade tip is broken. When I order the new blade, I'll just get one with the stud. Done deal.

How do you like your knife? I've never really been a knife guy, but since I bought one I've been amazed at how much I use it.
Over here, any hardware store has a small torx screw driver set with 6-8 different sizes (one each end) that fit in the handle for about $8. Not sure if you have access to such a store where you are, but that kind of screwdriver works fine.

Make sure the positioning of the stud will allow your knife to close. otherwise, you may need to order another blade when you get back to the States.

I love the BMs ... I have several of them, including some balisongs. My brother turned me on to the BMs years ago with his AFCK -- still one of the best knives ever. The AO or autos are very convenient and get used a lot. I also have Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, Boker and a few others. There's an awful lot of nice knives being made these days.

I also like the BM lifetime sharpening policy. Just send it back to them and for about $15 they sharpen and clean it up.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

I was in my local Cabela's this past weekend. They have a nice display of spring assist. knives in their glass case. There is a note next to the spring assist. knives that reads. "Must have current Police or Military ID to purchase a spring assist. knife" :roll:
regards

3T
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

3T wrote:I was in my local Cabela's this past weekend. They have a nice display of spring assist. knives in their glass case. There is a note next to the spring assist. knives that reads. "Must have current Police or Military ID to purchase a spring assist. knife" :roll:
Try these instead:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=759

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

http://benchmadeforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/8141066793

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/99/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Knife laws just the same as gun laws vary from state to state. Then there is some federal law on the subject and, of course, you have military regulation. In my 27½ years I've seen a lot of things. I once had a saber in my locker and my roommate had a knife which was confiscated in a health and welfare inspection. The saber didn't even elicit a comment. After that experience I simply got and carried what I needed and mentally prepared myself for confiscation at any time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, I wouldn't think it illegal, if anybody disassembled something like a folding umbrella (ahem), and mailed the separate pieces to separate relatives on different days ................................ :roll:

My thoughts exactly!

Don't you modern GI's remember the legendary fellow who mailed a Jeep back from Germany one piece at the time?

Heck they even did a take off on that legend on the TV-series M.A.S.H.
Yep, mail it back one piece at the time.

BTW, I don't have a Benchmade knife, but I do carry a spring assisted knife. In many states it is not considered to be a switchblade knife since you have to flick the blade open manually rather than simply push a button.

Personally I've never understood the horror many folks have of switchbladed knives. They are no more dangerous than any other, and the don't open that much faster than a Buck 110, if a fellow has practiced a lot. IMO, switchlades and spring-assisted knives are simply practical and sensible tools. Think about it, when a fellow really needs a knife, how often does he have both hands free? RARELY! That is the reason I've taken to one-hand knives, for the sake of convenience.

Good Luck and thanks for serving!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I didn't have any problem bringing the Bencmades back from Iraq, Africa, or Afghanistan as they were issue to our unit. The MPs complained but we keep them. You should also be able to mail it back to get it fixed just mail it back to Benchmade with a copy of your CAC card and have them ship it to your house after it is repaired. The repair should be free as they have a lifetime warranty.
If that does not work when you get back drop me a line and I will solve what ever problem you have an provide access what ever Benchmade you want.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

hope your able to get if fixed. lots of good advice. I'm with Hobie: I carry this one everyday

Matches the colors of my Sig 226 Combat :lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

donate it to a buddy that is staying there.

buy a new one when you get home.

when you can't fight 'em. go around 'em. :roll:

oh, yeah, the busted tip. just grind a new point, if you didn't lose alot of blade,

will work just fine and look ok, if you are careful.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"