OT: Fate and Hobby funds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Fate and Hobby funds

Post by JReed »

Don't you just love how some times life get's in the way and completely strips out your hobby cash.

Case in point I have been saving and scrimping for a new bow and the parts I need to build my gas forge. I had plans to go out today and pick them up with visions of shooting my new bow today since it is supposed to get up to 40F for the high. But while at work on Thursday my wife calls and says the washing machine had stopped working and was making an awful noise :evil: . So when I got home I checked it out the transmission is shot and due to the age of the washer it was more cost effective to just replace it. Of course my lovely wife coned me into how since we needed a new washer we should also get a matching dryer since the old one is the same age as the washer and a new washer would look funny next to an old dryer ( I am a sucker when it comes to the wife :roll: ). Man those things are expensive these days.

So long story short there goes a new bow and forge for awhile but at least I will have clean cloths which I am sure the people around me will appreciate. Oh well such is life.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Fate and Hobby funds

Post by Modoc ED »

What kind of and brand bow were you goint to get?
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I will second that question,
I have 4, and 1 could make it's way to your location.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am looking at The Rock by Diamond. I got my wife a Razor over the summer and am really impressed by it so I shot the Rock at the local Gander mountain and really like how light it is and how smoothly it shoots and it is made in the States. Also it is one one of the few bows I have tested out that draw nicely for me at my draw length of 30-31" (depending on how long I make the release loop) since i have pretty long arms.

Mescalero I appreciate the generosity and thanks for the offer but this is more a want then a need. I have an old PSE Pulsar now and while it still is an accurate bow and I enjoy shooting it I just wanted something new and lighter with a nice smooth single cam draw. You know bows are like guns even though I have something perfectly suitable in the safe they get lonely and you always have to bring home new stable mates for them to hang out with. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That's how I wound up with four.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mescalero1 wrote:That's how I wound up with four.
:lol: :lol: Sounds like we need the same support group.
First i got my bow then I got my wife wanting one then naturally my 2 boys wanted their own so they could shot also. The nice thing is my wife much prefers archery then firearms I could never get her to go out shooting with me. Now she can shoot her bow with out leaving the yard and she doesn't worry about ear plugs or the dust and dirt at the range. So it makes for nice family time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It sounds like you made the right decission because as we all know, when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Not sure what brand of bow you were looking at, but I have the 2010 BEAR VIP Pricelist I can send you that Bear does for Active Duty Military. VERY GOOD PRICES AND THEY ARE NICE BOWS TO BOOT!

If I recall correctly the base line Compound Bow the CHARGE (IBO 305fps) in the ready to hunt package is about $225 and the ATTACK (IBO 340fps) is around $380

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JReed
same thing happened to me last year...but is was a double whammie for me..
both the washer and dryer died....1600 smackers....
thats two or three rifles :roll: :cry:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

With me, the appliance always breaks AFTER I just bought the new toy, drilled a couple value-destroying holes in it for some 'custom' sight or other, and burned the box with the trash... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you get the good guy award here. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

RIHMFIRE wrote:JReed
same thing happened to me last year...but is was a double whammie for me..
both the washer and dryer died....1600 smackers....
thats two or three rifles :roll: :cry:
You got away easy she got both for just over $2K.

AJ
yep that's how it normally works for me also.

Horsesoldier PM coming.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed if it's not too late, look for a used washer/dryer set on Craigslist or somewhere else. People are always selling almost new appliances because they don't like the color or for some other reason. I had a similar situation with our kitchen stove right around Christmas. Long story short we found a 2 year old model for about 1/3 the price of new and it looks and works great. Same logic could be applied to bows since people are always buying the latest and greatest and dumping last years model. Doesn't seem to work quite like that with guns.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

To late Sears already delivered and installed the new ones. We did get a good price on them as they are the 09 floor model so so we saved a few bucks there.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I hope you didn't get Maytags. I fell for the same set up when we moved into our new house. the wife didn't want to bring a 20 year old washer and dryer into a brand new house. She did the shopping and came home with Maytag's latest and greatest. THEY STINK!!!!

The washer has to use some kind of special "HE" detergent and the dryer takes forever to dry a load of anything.

I wish we had Sears. we always got good service from them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you did get front loaders for the first time, have her try using only 2 Tablespoons of detergent and maybe a little borax if you really trashed your clothes. The front loaders really do not need much soap to do the same cleaning, however Nancy took over a year to figure that out.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I feel for you JReed now that I've had a back operation, I can go back to archery, for I was just beginning to get in to the hobby when I got injuried at work. With the ammo supply being unreliable and expensive ,I've been jonesin' for a takedown recurve. As soon as I can land a job.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

horsesoldier03 wrote: when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
boy howdy! :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have had my Gun Fund go the way of the dodo a couple of times because things got tight. You'll build it up again just like you did last time, promise. :)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

What parts are you looking for on the forge? danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You just made me think....My set is about fourteen years old :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JReed, we've had the same kind of luck this week. Thursday saw me shelling out for a new radiator and to have an oil leak fixed in my wife's car. Yep, that was my fun money but it sure wasn't fun... :(

Now then, as far as front load washers go I have a simple rule: I won't own one until they are forced upon me because there is nothing left on the market.

Why? Because appliance service is what I do for a living, primarily laundry equipment. Front load washers require more maintenance than the average top loader but 99% of the issues can be stopped at the homeowner level IF they are willing to do the maintenance. The problem is, most don't want to do it or don't know to do it.

Rules of the road for front load washers:

HE soap is required because it is designed to make less suds than "regular" detergent. Oversudsing can cause a leak from the door of the unit and it will eventually leave a residue that won't be washed out and starts to smell. You can probably get away with using smaller amounts of regular detergent but eventually someone will forget and you can end up with problems.

Make sure all pockets are emptied before washing. I pull a few bucks a week in loose change out of drain traps because people don't empty their pockets and the unit gets to the point where it will not drain. Also, a sharp or pointed object can damage the front gasket (not hard when the spin cycle is roughly 1000 rpm), causing a leak.

Don't try to wash rugs or blankets in one. Eventually one will come apart and clog the drain pump. The same will happen on a top loader but the fix is a whole lot easier on a top loader (except for Whirlpool, don't get me started...).

Don't wash pet bedding or anything with lots of pet hair. Not only will it eventually clog the drain pump but the hair gets stuck on the outside of the inner tub (the one you see moving) and on the inside of the outer tub (the one that keeps the water in). It builds up and starts to smell and there's not a thing to be done about it other than to separate the tubs for cleaning (wanna guess how much THAT costs? :wink: ) or replace the tubs (and you thought the first option was 'spensive).

Clean and dry the front gasket when you're done washing for the day. In fact it's best to leave the door open and let it air dry as well. That will help keep the gasket from mildewing and will keep funky odors to a minimum. When I ran in home service I had customers tell me they don't want to leave it open because they have small children who might crawl in it. I suppose teaching them to stay out of the washer is that hard? How do they keep them from touching the oven door? :lol:

Once or twice a year, clean the unit with a cleaner for front load washers. I use a product called Washer Magic but most any of them will work as long as you stay ahead of the power curve. Trying to use it to fix odor problems AFTER they've started is usually a loosing battle.

Rusty, offhand I would strongly suspect you have a venting issue. The best way to find out would be to remove the vent hose from the wall, clamp a nylon stocking over the end of the vent hose to catch any lint and try to dry a load of laundry. If this is a separate laundry room, close the door to keep the heat and humidity out of the rest of the house. If they are in an open laundry room, just wait until a cold day. :mrgreen: Probably 80% of the dryers that come into my shop with complaints of long dry time or not heating properly are due to vent issues.

If it dries better than it did before you either have a blocked vent, blocked duct work or a kinked vent hose. Being a new house doesn't mean there can't be vent issues. I ran lots of new neighborhoods and saw everything from vent covers painted over (blocking the vent cover from opening) to birds in the duct work (properly baked I might add). I was in the new home of a building executive one time and found the hot and cold were reversed in the wall. HIS OWN CREW had built the house. :lol:

If the drier still doesn't dry well it could be improper voltage at the wall (or a loose leg, etc), an improperly hooked up power cord (I see it weekly), an overload of laundry or an actual drier problem.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rusty wrote:I hope you didn't get Maytags. I fell for the same set up when we moved into our new house. the wife didn't want to bring a 20 year old washer and dryer into a brand new house. She did the shopping and came home with Maytag's latest and greatest. THEY STINK!!!!

The washer has to use some kind of special "HE" detergent and the dryer takes forever to dry a load of anything.

I wish we had Sears. we always got good service from them.
I'll agree with the MayTag comments. My mother, and grandmother, and all my aunts seemed to have nothing but Maytags. And they lasted forever. So when I married, my wie and I bought a Maytag. It lasted a long time, then bought another and had the same luck. When it died, we bought another. It was trash. I later found out that Maytag had been bought by another company, and the products were now made off shore. Sad to see a brand that generations used so frequently that "the Maytag" was used to refer to washers in general, has been reduced to what it is today.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:JReed, we've had the same kind of luck this week. Thursday saw me shelling out for a new radiator and to have an oil leak fixed in my wife's car. Yep, that was my fun money but it sure wasn't fun... :(

Now then, as far as front load washers go I have a simple rule: I won't own one until they are forced upon me because there is nothing left on the market.

Why? Because appliance service is what I do for a living, primarily laundry equipment. Front load washers require more maintenance than the average top loader but 99% of the issues can be stopped at the homeowner level IF they are willing to do the maintenance. The problem is, most don't want to do it or don't know to do it.

Rules of the road for front load washers:

HE soap is required because it is designed to make less suds than "regular" detergent. Oversudsing can cause a leak from the door of the unit and it will eventually leave a residue that won't be washed out and starts to smell. You can probably get away with using smaller amounts of regular detergent but eventually someone will forget and you can end up with problems.

Make sure all pockets are emptied before washing. I pull a few bucks a week in loose change out of drain traps because people don't empty their pockets and the unit gets to the point where it will not drain. Also, a sharp or pointed object can damage the front gasket (not hard when the spin cycle is roughly 1000 rpm), causing a leak.

Don't try to wash rugs or blankets in one. Eventually one will come apart and clog the drain pump. The same will happen on a top loader but the fix is a whole lot easier on a top loader (except for Whirlpool, don't get me started...).

Don't wash pet bedding or anything with lots of pet hair. Not only will it eventually clog the drain pump but the hair gets stuck on the outside of the inner tub (the one you see moving) and on the inside of the outer tub (the one that keeps the water in). It builds up and starts to smell and there's not a thing to be done about it other than to separate the tubs for cleaning (wanna guess how much THAT costs? :wink: ) or replace the tubs (and you thought the first option was 'spensive).

Clean and dry the front gasket when you're done washing for the day. In fact it's best to leave the door open and let it air dry as well. That will help keep the gasket from mildewing and will keep funky odors to a minimum. When I ran in home service I had customers tell me they don't want to leave it open because they have small children who might crawl in it. I suppose teaching them to stay out of the washer is that hard? How do they keep them from touching the oven door? :lol:

Once or twice a year, clean the unit with a cleaner for front load washers. I use a product called Washer Magic but most any of them will work as long as you stay ahead of the power curve. Trying to use it to fix odor problems AFTER they've started is usually a loosing battle.

Rusty, offhand I would strongly suspect you have a venting issue. The best way to find out would be to remove the vent hose from the wall, clamp a nylon stocking over the end of the vent hose to catch any lint and try to dry a load of laundry. If this is a separate laundry room, close the door to keep the heat and humidity out of the rest of the house. If they are in an open laundry room, just wait until a cold day. :mrgreen: Probably 80% of the dryers that come into my shop with complaints of long dry time or not heating properly are due to vent issues.

If it dries better than it did before you either have a blocked vent, blocked duct work or a kinked vent hose. Being a new house doesn't mean there can't be vent issues. I ran lots of new neighborhoods and saw everything from vent covers painted over (blocking the vent cover from opening) to birds in the duct work (properly baked I might add). I was in the new home of a building executive one time and found the hot and cold were reversed in the wall. HIS OWN CREW had built the house. :lol:

If the drier still doesn't dry well it could be improper voltage at the wall (or a loose leg, etc), an improperly hooked up power cord (I see it weekly), an overload of laundry or an actual drier problem.

Andrew that's great advice!
The Boss Lady is bugging me for a new washer / dryer and wants the fancy new front loaders.
I told her she has to wear out the set she has now. I bought them new @ six years ago so it hopefully
wont happen too soon. Although the the washer started making a funny noise a couple weeks ago :shock:
I'm going to print out your post and save it for Blondie's next set of appliances.

How are the LGs?
I think that's what she wants.
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No idea on the LGs as I never serviced them but I bet some digging will show who actually manufactures them. For example GE and Whirlpool front loaders are almost identical when you start to tear them apart (at least that was the case for the ones made from about 2004-2008).

Another rule I have is to avoid electronics if possible. Just one more (usually expensive) thing to go wrong. Appliances are tools, the fancy, pretty ones you can show off at those smart dinner parties don't do anything any better than the ugly square ones with mechanical timers. The front loaders technically are energy efficient since they use less water and spin faster meaning the clothes come out of the washer less water in them and that means a shorter dry time but is it worth the extra headache? Not to me.

Also, energy efficiency ratings are a bit bogus. The manufacturers can get a higher rating by making the units lighter in weight. Lighter weight means less energy to move them thereby saving energy (fuel) BUT that contributes to a shorter lifespan since the units aren't as heavily built as they used to be.

My Dad used to receive an industry newsletter. Around 2000-2001 there was a chart for the average lifespan of appliances. They had taken the stats from the past 40 or 50 years regarding the cost of repair vs the cost to replace. At that time the breakdown was as follows IIRC:

Washers/dryers: 6-8 years
Refrigerators/freezers: 10-12 years
Ovens(built in or freestanding): 7-9 years
Dishwashers: 6-8 years

That doesn't mean your appliance is going to give up the ghost at those ages but it does mean it's usually more cost effective to replace them if they act up after that age.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Andrew thanks for the advice. My wife has been researching the new front loaders for awhile and came across the same advice you provided so I am glad to hear it come from the mouth of a pro.
We got a Kenmore front load set and have done a couple of loads today. Much nicer then the old units we had.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jeremy, I know exactly what you mean. For years we'd get through Christmas, and then something big would break - usually in three's. One year it was the water heater, a vaccum cleaner, and a refrigerator in one week.

We got a new washing machine and dryer in October 2008, replacing units that were about 15 years old. We got the original ones from Sears - Kenmore units; simple but large, and they really held out a long time. Sears also supports the military a lot - making up any salary difference their employees lose when called up. We bought the replacements from Sears too - LG's - and you aren't kidding - darn things were more expensive than my first car!

Sorry to hear about this - but glad you understand life lesson number one - when Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy! :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BigSky56 wrote:What parts are you looking for on the forge? danny
The expensive parts :lol: :lol:
I still need to get 10yards of 1" KAOWool to insulate the body
10 2400degree fire bricks for the doors and 2 3200 degree bricks for the floor
The regulator and a 100 pound propane tank.
The rest is just nuts and bolts items that I all ready have most of.

My fun fund should have some cash back in it in a couple months then hopefully I can finish this project.

YK
Yep we love Sears in this house. last set was had was Kenmore that we got for cheap from the Sears outlet store in Ontario Ca. To bad they dont have one of those out here.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What if you are not married?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mescalero1 wrote:What if you are not married?
Well that makes life easy. :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JReed wrote:Andrew thanks for the advice. My wife has been researching the new front loaders for awhile and came across the same advice you provided so I am glad to hear it come from the mouth of a pro.
We got a Kenmore front load set and have done a couple of loads today. Much nicer then the old units we had.
No problem. It's nice to hear my rants, I mean observations, are confirmed by other sources. :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at