Lead dust on old bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Lead dust on old bullets

Post by AJMD429 »

Very old bullets I see now and then will have a white powdery coating which I can only assume is lead oxide of some sort, and thus would be rather toxic (unlike metallic lead, which despite media hype, is NOT a problem).

I passed on a chance to buy really cheap 1,500 otherwise fine cast bullets due to not knowing a good, safe, way to get that off the bullets; I didn't like the idea of lead oxide rubbing off on clothing, holsters, and so on.

Is that substance really a lead oxide or toxic lead salt of some sort?

If so, any ideas what can be done to safely deal with and dispose of it?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429,

I would have grabbed those bullets in heart beat.

As for the white oxide, I wouldn't even attempt to remove it, what I would do is just tumble them in Lee LA lube, load 'em and shoot 'em.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

The llast time I was at the tire shop getting wheel weights a new guy was "helping" me and wanted to inform me that lead is hazardous. I winked at him an told him that it was going to be real hazardous when I got through with it.
My buddy at the shop called me later and was laughing so hard he couldn't hardly get his words out. Turns out the kid in the shop was a college student working part time from some liberal/commie place back East. Kid couldn't believe that it was legal to "make" bullets.

Hartman
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hey, I, too have a bunch of bullets with that white powdery stuff on them...

I usually just load them and shoot them, but I always wash ,y hands before and after handloading.

What IS that stuff, anyway?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hartman wrote:...the kid in the shop was a college student working part time from some liberal/commie place back East...
Read future anti-gunner. Your buddy has now been given an assignment. EDUCATE the heck outta him.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!