Does this look accurate?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CanadianCowboy
Levergunner

Does this look accurate?

Post by CanadianCowboy »

The information that is, I have no way of double checking most of this and would appreciate if someone here can tell me, Mainly I am looking at the conversion for Pyrodex to BP

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

thank you all :)

I forgot to mention that I was looking at using this because I do not have a way to measure enough volume for 100 grains of BP, but I could always use a scale if I could fine the correct weight for pyrodex, the chart shows that as 68.4 grains....., I don't wish to shoot BP out of this firearm again, I can't get it easily, and wish to find one laod to stick with
Last edited by CanadianCowboy on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

From Hodgdon's website for Black Powder Sub loading data:
Pyrodex is lighter in weight than blackpowder and weighs only about 70% as much as blackpowder. However, because Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder, the same volume of Pyrodex gives similar performance to blackpowder. Pyrodex loads given in this manual for muzzleloading guns are measured by volume, not weight.
And:
Pyrodex In Cartridges: The mechanics of reloading metallic cartridges are quite simple, but there is one requirement of the modern shooter that cannot be overlooked. The modern loader must set aside his knowledge of loading with smokeless powders and embrace the ways of years gone by. It must always be remembered that blackpowder and Pyrodex are very inefficient powders by today's standards. The methods described here are consistent with good loading practices for Pyrodex and should be followed without regard to smokeless loading practices.

Pyrodex works best in straight walled cases, but it will work satisfactorily in bottle necked cartridges as long as our warnings are observed.
But it looks about right.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Looks about right to me too, at least as far as the Pyrodex. Pyrodex P is what I use most of the time and it tends to fun a little higher from a measure. As far as the other powders go I have no idea.

By the way, a muzzle loading measure works for large charges of pyrodex quite well. It shouldn't be a problem to find one of those and they aren't too bad for price.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith