OT-Original Civil War Belt Buckles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT-Original Civil War Belt Buckles

Post by Sixgun »

Dudes,
My good friend Tom at Targetmaster got in a mess of Civil War period handguns along with some belt buckles. I know my Winchesters but Civil War stuff has been faked so much over the years, I am not confident of my evaluations. The guns he got in are no-brainers but does anyone here have knowledge on the buckles. I do know original buckles are worth some serious money and we spent the whole night on the web looking at pictures but we do not have a definitive answer.

We are worried that someone might have aged repo buckles from the 1960's. They sure look real and have lots of tiny little dings and they were with a mess of Civil War guns so............just maybe.

Here's a few pics--check out the no-barrel .22 short handgun. Serial #383 in about 90+ condition. Its called a "My Friend" and is of superior craftsmanship.

Image,

Image,

Image,

Image,

Image,

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buckles are an iffy thing. Provenance is everything. I'll have to do a bit more research on #1 but #2 seems good, mostly because the belt has been left "intact". Most fakers don't do that...

The little "My Friend" knuckleduster is darn nice! I'd have to research prices on that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Hobie, I think faking has gotten so good that it takes a scientific evaluation to tell. (composition of the brass).

Yea, that knuckleduster is cool. The new Flaydermans has it at close to 2 g's. I sure would not want to trust my life on it though. Without a barrel, the velocities are probably around 4-500 fps with a 29 gr. bullet. Mouse medicine------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Wow... that little gun looks original, kinda makes you wonder how many poor souls lost their lives to a little eyeball gun like that.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have a well made but fake CSA buckle, stamped on the back "Tiffany, New York" ! Why the fakers thought New York firms would have openly made Confederate equipment !!! :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool pics! 8) I love that little knuckleduster!!! :D