Tang Sights: How to tell if vintage or not?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Tang Sights: How to tell if vintage or not?

Post by LeverBar »

What are the differences between vintage and new tang sights--Marble and Lyman for 1894 Winchesters.

Are they stamped with age specific markings?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No they don't have any age specific markings, but they are quite different.
The old Marbles weren't widage adjustable, unless you got the upper grade, which had a completely different looking base design to accomodate the widnage adjustments.
The Lymans are much closer to the originals, except the knurling on the adjuster is a little different.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The new Lymans look like their old timers pretty much..but the new ones have a ball detent for the folding feature unlike the originals.. and use an O ring to add friction to the elevation barrel to keep it from moving.. that seems to work pretty good... I like the originals better though.. Put the new Lyman on my Uberti 73 SRC.. Have an original on my Win 73 SRC.. No windage adjustment on either of them... No big deal.. once they're shimmed they stay put..
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Easy way to tell is that if they look like modern junk, they are modern and if they look classy with a nice satin blue, they are old. For real, the new ones, especially the Marbles are great and are 100% functional but the color of the blue matches new guns where the originals will match the blue of the pre-war guns. The new Lymans in my opinion are overpriced junk and need to be reworked before they are functional. I've had stems go flying off.

Old sights have smooth mechanics and a tight stem where the new ones are usually sloppy, but the new marbles has a ball detent which makes it fairly positive but the stem is still sloppy.

Old Lyman and Marbles sights will have a code stamped underneath the base.---------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s