748 & Magnum Primers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

748 & Magnum Primers?

Post by GANJIRO »

I'm planning on loading up some 30/30 150 grain cast gc bullets using 748 but have read in other forums that many prefer using a large magnum rifle primer to ignite this powder. What do you prefer in primers with this powder?
THANKS!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find there is some substance to the recommendation that ball powders (748 being one) requiring magnum primers. I find that CCI's primers work very well with this powder in both the .308 Win. and .223 Rem. I have used it some in the .30-30 but just didn't like it. Can't really explain why, just didn't like it...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Hobie wrote:I find that CCI's primers work very well with this powder
Is that CCI Magnum primers?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 748 & Magnum Primers?

Post by J Miller »

GANJIRO wrote:I'm planning on loading up some 30/30 150 grain cast gc bullets using 748 but have read in other forums that many prefer using a large magnum rifle primer to ignite this powder. What do you prefer in primers with this powder?
THANKS!
Ganjiro,
This is one subject I've a bit of experience with. You do not need mag primers with 748 powder in the 30-30.
I've loaded 748 with every brand of primer and there has never been one lick of trouble with it.
The Winchester Data booklets call for a standard LR primer, and that's all I've ever used.
My pet load is 34.5grs of 748 with a 150gr bullet. I've used this same exact load for over 30 years. In every climate Arizona had. Blistering hot summers to snow on the ground winters. Never once did I see a need for mag primers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I had a lot of missfires with CCI magnum primers & 748.(I know,the powder had nothing to do with it.)I have since switched to Win LR primers and misfires went away.Someone on here suggested LR primers w/748 and it works .I still get same accuracy and velocity is the same.
I just received my copy of "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by McPherson and He suggests Large Pistol primers for the 30-30. I will try that this week.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've always used Winchester WLR's, with 748.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

neil mitchell wrote:I had a lot of missfires with CCI magnum primers & 748.(I know,the powder had nothing to do with it.)I have since switched to Win LR primers and misfires went away.Someone on here suggested LR primers w/748 and it works .I still get same accuracy and velocity is the same.
I just received my copy of "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by McPherson and He suggests Large Pistol primers for the 30-30. I will try that this week.

Neil
Large Pistol primers are shorter than Large Rifle primers. When seated to sensitize the primer pellet they will be seated considerably deeper than a proper LR primer. You're likely to get misfires this way too. And the cups for LP primers are thinner than the LR primers. I'd be concerned about pierced primers using them this way.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

Am using Fed Large Rifle Mag primers and 748 in the 30-30 and 307 with jacketed bullets. Very pleased with the velocitys and accuracy. 748 meters exceptionally well, and with slightly less than max loads am not weighing every charge. While mag primers may not be needed to reliably set off the charge, it the combination of accuracy/high velocity that tripped my trigger.

Up here temps during hunting season can vary from high 40s to negative digits.

Tried the mag primers per Speer's # 13, Speer being one of the manuals that will mix mag and standard primers in their loads. Following is just info from a web page, please don't automatically regard it as "factual". A poster on othe board contacted Speer about it's use of mag primers with 748 in 30-30. Speer suppoisedly responded that at the upper charges, less pressure and higher velocity resulted from use of the mag primer with 748.

Had previously followed Speer's advice about using standard small pistol primers with V V -N110 with 357 mag loads. They listed higher charges of N110 than most manuals, and slightly higher velocitys. This worked out very well with light jacketed bullets in 357 carbine.

Different primers may behave differently, but am of firm believe attention to what primer is being used can make a noticable difference.

Please remember, it's just an opinion based on somewhat specific loads and limited testing. Have absolutely no clue how combination of 748 and different primers may act with lead bullets, or what velocitys you're trying for.