OT Looking for transmission schematics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT Looking for transmission schematics

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have a friend that rebuilds transmissions that bumed up his hand pretty bad. Well he asked me if I could help him out for a while so I have been. The process is kind of fun but very confusing. The problem is he isn't a very good teacher and there are a lot of parts and steps. So I thought that if I could get schematics of the transmissions, then I could learn from these too. Especially how things orient and go together. I was thinking an explosion chart maybe. Looking for Toyota manual transmission from 2005ish for starters. He does a lot of those for a fleet. I've helped him completely take apart and assemble three of them so far but frankly I'm still at a complete loss as to what part goes on next. You get the idea. So I thought that there might be some mechanic types out there that could help me. I for one am not a mechanic, but I am e fair parts changer.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT Looking for transmission schematics

Post by Gun Smith »

Chances are good your local library will have manuals for cars and trucks. Mostly generic, but you might find what you need there.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

My tip is going to be check with toyota for service manuals. The service manuals I used when I was a Cummins mechanic were pretty good.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What type of Toyota transmission? Pickup or car? I can fix you up with a little more info.
NRA Life Member
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Check with your local Toyota dealership to see if they have any manuals. I have seen some of their manuals for the auto trannys and they are awesome.

If they could be of any use to you I think I could send you some PDF's of a handful of Toyota automatic transmissions.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

TedH wrote:What type of Toyota transmission? Pickup or car? I can fix you up with a little more info.
That would be great. I believe he said the manual transmission was a W39? They come from a fleet of Toyota pickups. I also helped rebuild one differential. That was cool. I haven't done an automatic yet, so I have no idea what kind of transmission they are.
As far a buying a manual, I really didn't want to be spending a lot of money to help this guy out. I just thought it would help to have an explosion chart to cross check with and learn what all those little things in there are called. I can already tell you this doesn't seam like something I want to do every day. My respects to mechanics.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've got a full schedule today, but I'll see what I can do tonight when I get home.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Gobbler, check your PMs. I need your email.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Did you get the email?
NRA Life Member
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Wow, you're fast. Thanks. I just saw the e-mail and yes that looks like it. Is this from your personal material or is there some where I could go to look if I needed another?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Unfortunately those are from an on-line OEM service and repair manual that we pay a good deal of money for, not a place where the general public can access it. This type of information has replaced the huge shelves of thick repair manuals that you used to see in shops. In my shop each tech has his own PC station, and a laptop that is used for most of the diagnosing of engine and transmission management systems. It's a lot easier than the thick paper books to navigate and find the information you're needing, but still very expensive information.

Just holler if you need something else, I don't mind looking it up for you.
NRA Life Member
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Man, I realy appreciate that. It's a shame that kind of info isn't openly available.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Check out Auto Repair Manuals, or just do a google search on "Toyota Repair Manuals", both Chilton and Haynes have various manuals that cover what you're looking for.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Gobblerforge wrote:Man, I realy appreciate that. It's a shame that kind of info isn't openly available.
Gobbler

It is available, like Griff said there are some aftermarket sources of you wanted to buy. Those books like Chilton's are for one specific make and model. Not much use except for the shadetree mechanic who's fixing his own stuff.
NRA Life Member