Model '92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fstdraw
Levergunner

Model '92?

Post by fstdraw »

I found a carbine at a local pawn shop with a '92 receiver. The rest of the gun seems to be from a '53 Winchester. Along with the beautiful reblue, it's got the typical '53 barrel, sights and inner workings. First question- the barrel has a second proof mark below the first, a P with a circle around it, just above the receiver, near the barrel. Is this a factory rebarrel? Second- the shop wants $995.00 for this obortion, what's it worth? Cal. is 32-20, saddle ring carbine, serial is 808xxx, looks great except the wood looks original, it's worn. Thank you.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... the Model 53 is basically a variant of the model 1892. So, that a '92 could resemble a Mdl53 would be appropriate. Especially so if the example you found is pre-1924 when the Mdl 53 was introduced.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The "P" with a circle around it denotes a mail order original factory barrel. Some 'smith ordered & installed it. As for value, depends, a lot depends on the amount of buffing on the metal from the reblue job, type of reblue job, wood to metal fit, mechanics, etc.

One G? I personally would only give 4 or 5 c-notes for it but..........nice specimens are getting harder to find everyday and if you want a shooter, you will pay close to that for some Italian junk. (hey, I'm half Italian) Offer the dude 7 or 8 which is more in line----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fstdraw
Levergunner

Post by fstdraw »

Griff and Sixgun, Thanks a ton for your replies, that's good info to know. I now know something about the gun which I didn't before. I'll I'm after is a shooter, I can replace the '53 sights with '92's (rear anyway)I would guess if I have a notion too. Thanks again.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

There are TWO proof marks on the BARREL if it is a replacement barrel INSTALLED at Winchester. If the gun is a post 1905 mfg date it will have ONE proof mark (1) from the factory when new. Any year mfg before 1905 will NOT have a factory proof mark (1) and/or (2), UNLESS it's a replacement barrel either factory or outside installation. In 1908 both the barrel and RECEIVER got proofmarks (1) on all models.
(1) The factory proofmark is a "P" and "W" in a circle.
(2) The shipped out replacement barrel proofmark has a "P" in a circle starting in 1912.
fstdraw
Levergunner

Post by fstdraw »

Gunsmith, Thanks for chinmming in. The barrel has TWO proof marks. The WP in a circle and the P just below it. No marks on the receiver. The gun is of 1918 vintage. The barrel that is on the carbine now has rear ajustable sights and the front is the ramp sight that is found on the Mdl. 53's I've seen. Would the factory put this barrel on an '92 carbine? Thanks for your expertise.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Model 53's did not have a ramp sight. The front sight on a model 53 slides in on a dovetail. Later Model 92's had a front ramp sight, say, from the mid 1920's and to the end of the production run. Does it say Model 53 on the barrel? or Model 92? Your rifle has been re-barrelled outside the factory, as others have pointed out. Here's a photo of a standard Model 53 (this one is mine, made in 1924, and in 25-20) ....

And here's a photo of a Winchester Model 92 carbine with the later front ramp sight 52C if I recall correctly ....

fstdraw
Levergunner

Post by fstdraw »

Beautiful guns KirkD, and thanks for the reply. The barrel says '92 on it, not 53. I guess I'm skeptical about buying a gun from a place that can't tell the difference between a reblue and a rebarreled firearm. Thanks for the pictures, and sharing your guns. I learn something new everyday, all the '92 carbines I've owned have had a blade front sight. Thanks.