Modifications to win 94 affect value?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hemiallen
Levergunner 2.0

Modifications to win 94 affect value?

Post by hemiallen »

I am looking at a very nice condition 1894 Winchester that has had a rear peep site added to the action, which means it has 2 holes in the side of the action. Wood is very nice, and it is a takedown model with full octagon barrel in very nice original condition with good blueing.

I wonder what devaluation I should expect from this modification?

Thanks

Allen
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Modifications to win 94 affect value?

Post by bogus bill »

It just might have holes there from the factory depending on the year made. I bought mine new around 1957 and didnt have to drill as holes for a williams foolproof was on the side of the receiver. But if they D&T after the gun left the factory a buyer will use that against you on the price, no doubt.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you are a collector ..... :( .... then those two non factory holes will devalue the rifle. I cannot tell how much as I'm not a collector and the only value I place on a rifle is in it's use to me.

If you want it, you'll have to decide if the price is right. Personally those holes would not deter me at all. I'd just grin all the way to gun range.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, if it's a model 1894 (tang so marked) and not a Model 94, then the peep holes aren't factory.

Since it's a takedown, it's very desireable IMHO - and if the peep was newer/shiny/aluminum ILO vintage/steel/Lyman/Redfield/etc, I'd surely use both issues as a bargaining point, but most likely end up owning it anyway. :roll:

hemiallen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks for your thoughts.

Good point, as a shooter it shouldn't be an issue, but I seem to be buying and upgrading lately, so resale value is good to know for basing my bargaining ability if it is priced like a really nice collector....

I'll do some more gun sale sights ( auctions) searches and see what a 1894, probably early 1900's takedown are going for, but suspect the current asking price may be firm and even below market on the net.

I believe it is an early steel / blued peep, not a more recent anodized aluminum part.

Thank you very much

Allen
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Another thought, I'd check the year of manufacture of the gun, and the type/style of sight for years of it's use. Even if it wasn't in the years that those holes were standard on 94's, they may be factory. Many sights could be special ordered, and the type of sight may have some bearing on the decision. Without a factory letter, it's tough to say for sure. So, it's possible the holes/sight may even enhance the value if they were a special order feature, tho the odds are lower that thats the case. As a shooter, I think they are a plus, and doubt you'd have a problem selling it if the price range is reasonable.

A close inspection of the holes may yield some clue as to their being factory or not, but if well done, it may not be possible to know for sure without the factory letter.

Some of the older steel receiver sights are somewhat valuable in their own right now, so factor that into the value equation.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

If the holes are not factory then I deduct 40-50%. Over the years I have watched the auctions and if someone is collecting they will purchase in this range. If just to have one or for a shooter price usually only varies about 20%. :) :)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

For me those holes (if done properly) are a plus. Saves me from having to do it.
Bottom line is, they should have been there in the first place. :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

extra [ not factory ] holes have normally been 100$ PER hole discounted

from whatever the price of a similar, unmolested piece is bringing at the time.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"