UPDATE:Proper Winchester 1894 Takedown Operation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

UPDATE:Proper Winchester 1894 Takedown Operation

Post by CBinNH »

Can someone give me a crash course in the correct way to operate the takedown feature on a 1894 Winchester? A local shop has one in 25-35 & I would like to disassemble it. They are not sure how to do it either. Thanks.
Last edited by CBinNH on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Proper Winchester 1894 Takedown Operation

Post by Terry Murbach »

CBinNH wrote:Can someone give me a crash course in the correct way to operate the takedown feature on a 1894 Winchester? A local shop has one in 25-35 & I would like to disassemble it. They are not sure how to do it either. Thanks.
LET'S SEE...RELEASE THE MAGAZINE OUT AT THE END OF THE BARREL AND PULL THE MAGAZINE FORWARD. UNLOCK AND UN-SCREW THE BARREL UNTIL IT FALLS TO THE GROUND, SAY LOTSA NASTY WORDS...ASK FOR A LARGE DISCOUNT WHILE IT IS STILL ON THE GROUND...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

With the action in the open position, lift the magazine tube lever (located on the end of the magazine tube) and use the lever to turn the magazine counter-clockwise several complete turns until the tube is un-threaded. With the tube either removed or at least moved forward a few inches, grasp the receiver in one hand and the forearm in the other and turn the fore-arm/barrel assembly counter-clockwise one quarter turn. The barrel & forearm assembly should then freely seperate from the receiver.

Do not use the buttstock to turn the receiver portion as it is possible to crack the wood. If the rifle has not been taken down in a long while, the two halves may require a bit of WD-40, Liquid Wrench, or other loosening agent. A few light taps with a soft mallet may be helpful if it is really stuck

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

As has been mentioned, but I'll beat upon it again, With the action open then procede with further takedown process. If the action is not open (bolt open), you can bend or break the extractor.

If it doesnt look like it's going to come apart, try the penetrating oil. If that doesnt do it, look more carefully. I've seen one model 55 that was epoxied together at the receiver extension/receiver junction. People didnt know that there was a way to adjust the slack in the takedown mechanism when they got a little loose. I've heard of them being welded and soldered also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Do yerself a favor, and don't take it down until you get her home ! ;)

Meybe you kin get a better discount on the price, 'cause "it won't come apart, and I don't know how worn it is". :mrgreen: :P :P :P

CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Thanks for all the help gents.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HEY GUYS, THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION OF MY FOX PAW.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: UPDATE:Proper Winchester 1894 Takedown Operation

Post by CBinNH »

OK, I got my hands on it. First, it has had the barrel cut down to carbine length. There are four holes D&T'd in the barrel. Owner claims for long scope by Winchester :roll: . Bore looks nice. The take-down tube is cut to button mag length. It did not operate the conventional way. It has a screw through it near the take-down lever. It came apart easily, does not have play when re-assembled. Serial# in the mid 900 K range. Not a lot of blue. Wood looks good. Maybe worth $400 for a project? Maybe someone needs the rear half of a rifle? Oh well, I'm passing on it. I can get pics if someone else was interested.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATE:Proper Winchester 1894 Takedown Operation

Post by COSteve »

Words and pictures HERE.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are