Anyone shooting the "newer" Browning BLR's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone shooting the "newer" Browning BLR's?

Post by Triggernosis »

The "newer" ones meaning the latest ones with the aluminum receiver.
Interested in hearing your experiences, as I've got an itch for one in .243 or 7mm-08.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have a straight grip model in 358 and think highly of it. It's light and responsive in the hand. The first load I tried using the Speer 220 grain bullet went into just under 1.5", so I stopped load development right there. I don't remember the powder charge offhand. The bolt locks up into the barrel, so the alum alloy receiver merely acts as a guide for the bolt and a housing for the gear assembly.

I haven't carried it afield a lot, so I don't know how easily damaged the finish is on the receiver, which is a concern I often hear raised about it. Since it's an alloy, cold blue won't restore the finish. I guess I'll worry about it if and when it happens. I'm think about picking up a take down model now, just can't decide which chambering.
Well done is better than well said.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Been eyeballing a nice used one, 358 scoped,@ $650 That a decent price?
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Been eyeballing a nice used one, 358 scoped,@ $650 That a decent price?
650.00 used seems a little steep to me, but i could be mistaken. My in laws have a couple of them in .308 Win and they are plenty accurate and handy. I prefer a tube fed levergun, but that is just me...
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Jeff,
How well has the finish held up on your receiver.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the aluminum receiver holding up, but an anodized finish does concern me.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I've owned 5 or 6 BLRs including a 7mm08, but it was a steel receiver gun. I currently own 2 newer aluminum receiver guns a .450 Marlin straight grip and a .325WSM with pistol grip stock. I used the .325 a good bit this year and enjoyed it's balance, feel and carry. It has a 22" barrel where the 7/08 will have a 20. I think I would buy another in .308 or 7/08 in a pistol grip configuration, myself, given a choice. Those calibers should be very nice, and handy in either straight or pistol grip and even though I am a Marlin fan as well and own a few of them too, I'd buy the BLR .308 before the Marlin Express. Simply my opinion tho. The BLR is a very nice rifle, and I doubt u'd regret the decision to buy one.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

.358, .325, .450! Doggone, guys, y'all shoot some kickers, don't you?
I'm recoil and muzzle-blast-sensitive, so I'm gonna stick with the small calibers.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Triggernosis wrote:.358, .325, .450! Doggone, guys, y'all shoot some kickers, don't you?
I'm recoil and muzzle-blast-sensitive, so I'm gonna stick with the small calibers.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.
Heck yeah, They like to knock the chew clear out of my cheek at times...!!!!
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

If the recoil is knocking out your chew then you aint got enough in there to begin with. :D
ImageImageImage