OT- Ruger #1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Ruger #1

Post by Rusty »

OK y'all got me to thinkin over night while I was workin. Since a .22 rimfire #1 doesn't seem to be in the cards I was thinkin a #1 in .223 using chamber adapters might just be the next best thing.

Has anyone had much experience with those chamber adapters? I was wonderin just how well they might work.

Thanks,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, They only work so-so, and are only good as a play/substitute.

Each empty has to be manually poked out of the adaptor, after the firing pin adaptor is removed from the rear of the adaptor's L.R. chamber - don't forget, the firing pin adaptor's are provided for adaptors used in CF rifles, and are needed because your #1 is centerfire. Most adaptors I've seen/used were for Contenders with movable firing pins, CF/RF, and didn't need the little extra firing pin adaptor inside the main adaptor body.
They will be S.L.O.W.

Then too, AFAIK the barrel interior specifics for a .223 (bore diameter, twist) aren't ideal for the .22 rimfire.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know they'd be slow, but hey we're talking about a single shot anyway. The accuracy might be a concern. According to Ruger their #1-V has a 1:12 twist. IIRC most rimfires have a 1:16 so it shouldn't be that far off. I might be wrong about the 1:16 that just comes to mind.
I'm just thinking that in the wee hours of the night with a 26" barrel you'd never hear it go pop. I could practice in the house with my trap all night long.

Rusty <><
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If this one works, than they all must work. Its an old Marbles adapter for shooting the 25 ACP out of the 25-35. Probably made back in the twenties or thirties. The 25 ACP slips in on top of the adapter. Has it's own built in firing pin.

I have an 8" gong out back that is 140 yards away. If I hold proper and the winds not too bad, the little 50 grain bullet will hit it everytime.

I HAD a S&W .22 Jet with the .22 L.R. chamber adapters and that was about the only way that gun would shoot

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Here's an idea for you to chew on. :D Get a #1 in 45-70, then contact Crossno gunstocks in Oklahoma, and make arrangesments to purchase one of his 22 adapters for the 45-70. What it is, is a match barrel and chamber milled to fit in a 45-70 chamber and barrel, that holds the cartridge just off center enough for the rifles firing pin to work .
They cost about 160$ and shoot like , well a match rifle. :lol:
With a simple push of a cleaning rod you're back to the bigbore.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang it Don that's just wrong. You're makin it too easy to justify the purchase of a .45-70 now.

Rusty <><

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:idea: Well maybe if you called Dave Crossno and pleaded your case he might do one for you in 405. I got one for the wifes 40-65 roller. The darn thing sure shoots good. Fired a couple hundred rounds thru it, :shock: don't think she's even tried it yet. 8)
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

i guess I just found a way to spend $160!

My Ruger #1 in 45-70 just became more versatile...

I can pass on the Chipmunk to one of the young ones now.

Thanks for the info,

Tom
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tom those started out to be just a way for BPCR folks to get in a bit more triggertime, without the expense , and recoil of the real ammo. They turned out to be pretty dang accurate, and so folks are shooting them in 22 matches of all sorts.
Let us know how you get along with it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

So many guns and so little time.

Rusty <><

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don, those adapters that Dave makes are super, and they also have the benefit of not having to dig fired cases out too! Can't buy a .22 rifle that will shoot alongside of them for anywhere near that price!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Why not get one of the newer Winchester Low walls in 22 that are floating around. They look real nice, but are kind of heavy.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

MM93. There's a fella out of South Dakota, that put one of those Crossno's in a Browning 85 in 45-70. He replaced the extractor with one for an06 and installed the slot in the insert pointing down , instead of up. Now what he has is a really super accurate highwall 22 that ejects the empties without using the supplied hand extractor. :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's even better Don!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/