What's the going rate for a Pre-64 94 Win.?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

What's the going rate for a Pre-64 94 Win.?

Post by TedH »

Looked at a Win. 94 today, 30 WCF. Serial number dates it to 1949. Not bad shape condidering it's age, except the tang screw has been replaced with a very poorly fitted/made-to-fit-from-something-else screw. The head is too big to fit in the recess in the top tang. :shock: Wood is in good shape with only minor dings. Appears to original finish. The blueing has some wear in the normal places. I would guess it at 80-90% though. Bore is great. I really can't afford this thing right now regardless of price, but it keeps tapping me on the shoulder begging to take the last empty slot in my safe. You know how it is. :wink:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

A good solid pre-64, with some nicks and scratches, and some worn bluing, but otherwise not messed with or modifed goes for around $400.00 on up in this neck of the woods with prices in the $600.00 for pretty clean ones, probably 90 to 95%, sometimes a little more.

The gun you are describing with the replaced (wrong tang screw) would cause me to take a really close look at the rest of the gun, before considering it, but I doubt if I would give more then 300.00 to .350 for it, unless I was convinced it was a simple replacement to get back to original.

I have a 1958 model with the normal dings and scratches and a lot of bluing gone off of the left side of the receiver, but otherwise in good shape, that I gave around $350.00 several years ago, when even then the average was 450.00 for a really slick one.

I once purchased a really slick 1948 model, for 500.00 thinking I had a decent deal, since it was so nice. But I got a bum deal, and I couldn't believe it, but the darned thing was a jammer, it had feeding problems and I never could get it fixed. I eventually figured out that was probably why it was so nice, no one ever used it, because it didn't work very good.

I eventually got rid of it. It was the only 94 I ever had that gave problems with feeding. Sometimes I think I am a magnet for lemmons.
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

My dad has a 1956/7 Model 94 that's never been fired. It's got a NRA sticker on the right side of the stock, and it's still in the original case that came with the rifle. It's also got a butt cover that matches the case, and two boxes of 30-30 cartridges that were purchased at the same time (in 1959). The gun itself is 100%.

I've been given value guestimates of between $600 and $1500.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This seems to me about a $400 rifle. He wants $650. Think I'll keep looking.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

I just sold a 1953 vintage with 90% blueing and barely any marks on the loading gate for 450.00 There are still lots of pre 64's in this area.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

It does seem to matter quite a lot by locale. I'm amazed by how many respond to this sort of thing on the Pre 64 saying "in my neck of the woods $350-400..." Not in my neck of the woods, not in a long time. They've been quite high especially since the plant closing, and I'm still seeing some ridiculously high prices/some folks really dreaming...but the market does seem to have calmed a bit in the past few/several months--and with more/better availability. It's now possible again to get a pretty decent Pre at a half-way decent price, whatever that is to you.