Problem with Browning 1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Problem with Browning 1886 SRC

Post by Mike D. »

After stripping and reassembly my Browning has recently developed a problem where it will not feed a cartridge. The lifter comes up when the lever is opened and the cartridge is aligned with the chamber. When the lever is closed the lifter drops and the cartridge goes back into the magazine. What the heck?! I couldn't have put it together backwards?

:?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

If that was a Mdl 94 I'd say the carrier spring was broken, badly worn, or loose.
Beings that's an 86 I'll still say the gizmo that holds the carrier up till the bolt pushes it back down is where the problem is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

As it turns out, the prior owner had overpolished the carrier, allowing it to float too freely. I replaced it with one from an original 1886 Winchester and it works like a charm. Now, I have to order a new carrier from MGW, a needless added expense.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Sorry to hear that.
I guess some folks just don't know when to quit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***