OT: Last photos of my old west sixgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

OT: Last photos of my old west sixgun

Post by KirkD »

Boys, I took some plain-Jane photos today of my original S&W 2nd Model American .44 Russian, because it is going to be sold. Reason? Another fellow emailed me today and let me know he has an original Winchester 1873 32 WCF for sale that is in 95% condition and a mint bore. We all know what that means. Anyway, I thought some of you would enjoy a couple last pics of this old timer, shipped in 1873. The bore and cylinders are pristine, so it must have spent its working life in the arid American southwest. You can see by the wear on each side of the muzzle that it has spent a fair amount of time in a holster back when Billy the Kid ran wild and the Apaches and settlers were still having their differences. Anyway, I figured some of you would like to feat your eyes on this old classic sixgun (I'm already toughening up my backside in preparation for years of kicking myself down the road) ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Last photos of my old west sixgun

Post by longarm4146 »

Kirk, I guess thats kind of bittersweet since if i remember right you sold a right nice piece to get the wheelgun. I guess the chase is alot of the excitement in finding the old pieces of history. Good luck and looking forward to some pics.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Yeah, I sold an original S&W Schofield to get this one. Now this one is going out the door to get a beautiful original '73. My wilderness carry sixgun is now a 1st Gen Colt SAA chambered in 45 Schofield.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Sorry to see that beautiful pistol go elsewhere...I like having it around vicariously :lol: But you will likely have more fun with the .32. Can't wait to see the new stablemate, and read the reports.

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry you have to get rid of the S&W, but I totally understand that arrangement. BTDT. And, yeah, I've been so sore I couldn't sit down for weeks.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a tough call, but I'd give the nod to the 1873 too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Understandable... Regrettable for sure, but understandable.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk old friend, I know how you feel about a high quality firearm. When you compare how much use the S&W gets to the amount of time you will be using the 32wcf, it sure wil look good then. I can't wait to see you get started on load work for the different bullets you have, hope those 115 grains work out.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would sure like to welcome that '73 into the fold. I'll be posting this sixgun on a forum up here in Canada. We'll see what happens.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Sell one to buy one. That's been the only way I can play. But over the years adding a few bucks to each new purchase, plus my sale, and I have upgraded my collection a lot.
Remember, this is a HOBBY, not an investment club. You don't make money with most hobbies. It's more fun for me than booze or golf would be, and cheaper too. And I have to say with the Winchesters I've actually made a bit that allowed me to add to the collection once in a while.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kirk, that is a beaut. I wish you well with your new addition. I look forward to your reports from the range.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Don't think I would dump the pistol for a 32WCF no matter the condition, maybe for a 44-40 or 38-40.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Kirk,
That old Smith has become a friend over the last 8 months, wish I had the dollars to buy it. But an original 1873 on offer, such a hard choice. Good luck with the 73 and look forward to pictures of same in the future with your usual photographic expertise. P.S. still awaiting the letter on my Russian from Jinks, have got the bug am collecting money for more early no.3 S&W's, gonna keep the Russian after all. Much soul searching but yeh its mine with all its history. Good luck friend and look forward to the pictures.

Kind Regards
Bob
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Ive done it alot... Sell a nice one to get a better one.. I would not have what I got by not trading up and sideways to get what I or what I think somebody else would what.

^
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I know that the 32 WCF is not nearly as popular with the collectors as the 44 WCF or even the 38 WCF. However, the 32 WCF is one of my all time favourite cartridges and I go back to my childhood with that one. A neighbour family (just lived 4 miles away) had an ancient Marlin in 32-20. One day one of the boys bought a box of cartridges and showed me the little cartridge. Whoa! Something happened, and I don't know what, but it was so different from the usual 30-30 and 303 British cartridges that I was familiar with. I was hooked. That was about 40 years ago. So if I had my choice of calibers for the Winchester Model 1873, it would be the 32 WCF, strange as it may seem. I'm not buying that '73 with the idea of trading it or selling it, but to keep. My trading and selling has pretty much almost stopped, as most of the guns I have are exactly what I like and I'm settled on them. I'm still missing a '73 and a 32 WCF and this one will fill the bill.