Politics-What's your definition of government?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Politics-What's your definition of government?

Post by Jason_W »

Here's mine:

An entity consisting largely of rich old men (and a few rich old women who want to be rich old men) that perpetually inteferes with the citizenry, or alternatively fails them in times of crisis.

Ask me if I'm cynical.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I reckon a lot of folks in Government are only there because they can't hold down a proper job!!! :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

No better definition can be found than in the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Government is like a prophylactic, it gives you a false sense of security while you're being screwed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

What Joe said!!! :lol:

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

An organization by and for the people that only does the things for them, that they can't do themselves.

I support the one we have. I took an oath to do so. So did my son.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Those that can do, do and those that can't do teach. Those that dont want to do run for office.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Cant be by the people & for the people & do things they themselves cant. By the people & for the people means the people are the Gov't & they decide what it can do, not the other way around.
The best kind I think would be one freely elected by the people that abides by the Constitution the People instituted to keep it in check.
Thats why public servants swear to uphold the constitution, not the Gov't. Why would you swear to uphold a group of men who could usurp everything we value?
Every one of us have sworn many times over allegiance to the flag & the nation for which it stands. Its an ideal we pledge allegiance to, one we should hold our elected officials to as well. But, like most other people, we have become too willing to compromise.
We compromise every time we vote for anyone who doesn't hold the Constitution as being the unbreechable limit to their powers.

Its a simple criteria I intend to use from now on.
Vote Ron Paul. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:An organization by and for the people that only does the things for them, that they can't do themselves.

I support the one we have. I took an oath to do so. So did my son.
No, you did not. You took an Oath to support and defent THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES against all Enemies, both foreign AND DOMESTIC.

90% of what the last several Administrations over the last several decades has done is UNCONSTITUTIONAL...

ESPECIALLY EVERY SINGLE "GUN LAW" WRITTEN.

You did NOT take an oath to support the one we have. If you did, you swore an invalid oath - one that could be considered traitorous.

The Oath has NEVER been about "the government we have".

It is about the Government as Described by the Constitution. PERIOD.

But then, you don't believe in "Liberty & Justice for All" either... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

My oath included protecting the President of the United States, my Commander and Chief also.

I support him and I think he's doing a great job.

It's this nation being full of whinning girls that I've had a belly full of.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Supose in the 1760's you'd of supported the King & called the forefathers whiners eh? :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:My oath included protecting the President of the United States, my Commander and Chief also.
BS. That is absolutely untrue, and you know it.
-----------------------
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)
----------------------
Now just WHERE does it say "president" other than "Orders of"? Note that The Constitution preceeds, and is superior to, ANY "orders of" the President.

If you don't understand that, your DI didn't beat you enough.
I support him and I think he's doing a great job.
With the exception of a very few things - HR 2640 being #1 on my list - I agree.
It's this nation being full of whinning girls that I've had a belly full of.

Who is whining? Unless you think protesting rank unconstitutional action is whining...

Ghod, it's like arguing with a 6 year old...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

The problem as I see it is that "Politics" has become a job. Politics is supposed to be a public service, like jury duty or military service. It is not a career but a calling. My .02

Hartman
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

hartman wrote:The problem as I see it is that "Politics" has become a job. Politics is supposed to be a public service, like jury duty or military service. It is not a career but a calling. My .02

Hartman
+10,000
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I will have to quote the good captain:

"A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned."

8)
Slow is just slow.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

The government in this country is neither a democracy nor a republic!! It is an aristocrisity. The people ruled by a group of rich people for their benefit only!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It looks like you didn't read the oaths you posted. You can read...right?

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What is the definition of what it is supposed to be, or is?

Supposed to be there to ensure our individual rights are not violated, and we are protected from foreign enemies. Not much else.

Is - a bunch of slugs who couldn't hold a job flipping burgers outside government, sucking the life out of every productive member of society to buy the votes of more worthless slugs! :evil:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:It looks like you didn't read the oaths you posted. You can read...right?
I guess not. Aparantly my double Minor in Political Science/Ethics didn't afford tme the time to learn how to interpret political text.

Why don't you spell it out for me?

I eagerly await your brilliance.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Read the text....

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:Read the text....
Brilliant analysis.

Care to try again?

I'm still waiting for someone, ANYONE to prove (citations please) that my interpretation of USC 18 44 922 is wrong in regards to Constructive Possession.

Maybe you can.

Go on. Show us how smart you are. You certainly seem to know all about reading...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Since it doesn't affect me nor will it ever, I couldn't care less.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Oh hell.. lock this thread too. Fast.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Swampman wrote:Since it doesn't affect me nor will it ever, I couldn't care less.
C'mon. Be a man. Show us how smart you are.

Show everybody how I don't know how to read.

I know you can. You've said so.

You're not even annoying any more, just funny in a pathetic sort of way.

Show us why I'm wrong and you ar right.

I'd hate for everyone to think that you are just a Troll.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

cas wrote:Oh hell.. lock this thread too. Fast.
Awww, c'mon CAS, let him try...

The more he posts, the easier it will be for my PsyD friend to determine where he fits in the DSM-IV.

Then it might very well become somthing he should care about.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"Sir, those are the people."

Sad, but true. Our nation if full of greedy, selfish, self-centered, envy filled brats.