Best single gun a person could buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Best single gun a person could buy?

Post by Old Savage »

What is your choice?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best single gun a person could buy?

Post by TedH »

What would I be doing with it? Hunting, CCW, fighting a war, etc???
NRA Life Member
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Remington 1100 12 Gauge with multiple barrels, including a fully rifled barrel for sabots. :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Yeah - help us out a little, here.

If I worked in a tire shop, I'd say "a pneumatic gun." :P
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum or .45 Colt.

Strong, reliable, powerful enough for almost anything outside Africa or Alaska.

Pretty un-picky as to bullets (you could even make/use sabots in the .45 in a pinch)

Not too picky about powders, either.

Concealable.

Accurate enough.

Makes a good 'buddy' to a .44 Mag or .45 Colt levergun.

:mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now John, it is a firearm but thanks for pointing out the need for clarification and Ted - up to you. You define your purpose or in general.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

remington 700 in 30/60.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Old Savage wrote: You define your purpose or in general.
Hmmm. I'm going to rule out any worries about bears, mountain lions, or similar wild animals for this one.

If I spent most of my time in town or otherwise not hunting for food, the primary purpose of this gun would be defense against bad people and mad dogs. So whatever I did my best shooting with and was concealable is what I'd look for. Something like a S&W model 3913 - nine shot 9mm that conceals and shoots well, or a 3" K frame in .38 or .357. A full size autoloader or 4" K, L, or N frame would all work if I was willing to dress to conceal them. If I absolutely will not carry this gun, then I would look at some kind of carbine. There are other options, depending on my individual needs. Shotguns can be cheap, for guns. And the little S&W J frame 38's are real nice to have.

If I am also going to hunt, then a rifle - Lever, pump, or autoloader - would be it. Caliber depends on my situation. A good Lever, pump, DCM Garand, M1A, or AR type would always be useful. :mrgreen:

I would still like to have one of the original Tommy Guns, but they aren't legal here. :(
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I'm going with the ruger hawkeye international. Great looking stock to stare at, good open sights that are sturdy, military round known the world over, can be scoped, claw extractor for rough climates and sticky surplus or dinged up military brass. IMHO it'll protect you from any threat on the planet, 2-4 legged. This would be my choice.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

That's a very tough question, given the uncertainty of our times. If gun laws and pending legislation were not part of the picture, like prior to the '50's, I'd say that a good levergun of .30 to .40's caliber would be the ideal choice. Rugged, portable, with adequate power for defense or most game at reasonable ranges - and with commonly available and reloadable ammunition.

A .22 LR rifle, with a very competent shooter, could bring down a surprising range of game in my area. Ammo is cheap, plentiful, and extremely compact. A lever action or bolt gets the nod if one does not know whether gunsmiths and spare parts will be available and affordable in the future. But a .30's caliber is far more likely to get the job done; so we look to the .30-30, .32, .35 range of guns. And .30-30 is king for availability, bullets and brass.

If one worries about having to conceal the existence of a gun (again, for future issues), then one wants the most powerful and reliable gun that he can handle for the same reasons, along with defense of family and homestead, however humble that might be. A .44 Mag revolver gets my vote. I carry a Colt Series 70 MK IV .45 ACP most of the time; but I know that I can get it serviced if necessary. The revolver is still the tool that I won't have to worry about. I can store it loaded for a year if necessary, and not worry about wearing out the magazine springs.

If one is not worried about confiscation or having the right to carry a long gun in the open, and if game will always be within short range, then a 12 gauge seems to be the answer. But the days are gone, gone, gone where the San Joaquin valley was teeming with game, and when pheasants would flush by the thousands. Our stupid ancestors, and a few older friends and relatives whom I could name, have seen to that: Just kill for fun and leave them where they lay, don't worry about needlessly depleting the supply of game. No, the bird gun is not my choice in this part of the country as an "only" gun.

High-tech and high pressure firearms, like the beloved Garand .30-06, M14 clone, or the now popular "black guns" might need future maintenance or replacement parts that might not be available.

So we are pondering about one gun, powerful enough to take most game, reliable, with commonly available ammunition and/or ammo that is easily reloaded; hopefully with commonly available components (bullets, powder, brass). It should be easy to aim at medium ranges for both game and home defense, which leaves out the pistol and ushers in the rifle or carbine. It should be reliable and rugged, which discourages the consideration of gas tubes and other recoil activated firearms. A quick second shot is more likely with a levergun or pump gun than with a single shot or bolt action - for game or for multiple aggressors at the home front.

So there it is - the good ol' mid power levergun - very much the same "single gun" of choice of 100 years ago. I'll settle for a Marlin 336 in .30-30. Let's add a scope for old eyes; it can always be removed if it gets buggered up. Hey - that just happens to be what I have...
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I find a fondness for a Lee Enfield rifle. Can be worked over to a light weight sporter. You can find them in .303 and some from India in .308 (aka 7.62 Nato) you can cut down the magazines for five rounds. Scope mounting isn't bad. Very quick actions. I have seen some nice sporting (if you want that style) built on these. Just a thought I had. I have about five of them including one in 22LR. Good Luck
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Any long gun capable of taking out gubbermint tyrants and their thugs.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Dollar for dollar, in my mind, the most useful and broad ranged firearm would be a Remington 870 Express in 20ga. Can be shot by young and old with a minimum of training. It can be loaded with light loads for critters as small as squirrel and rabbit to higher power for goose and turkey to slugs for deer and such. Home defense, it is devastating. I guess the only place it lacks is concealability.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Marlin 39A Mountie.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

A simple short barrel shotgun.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+3 - IMHO the single best all-purpose firearm is a shotgun, preferably a 12ga.

It will work for hunting, home defense, target shooting, plinking - and can even be CCW'd, if done properly, ala the "Whippet" gun.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

for DBW . . .

. . . heartwarming, isn't it... :? :twisted:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

If I had to go to one gun, it would be a manually operated 12 gauge. You can have multiple barrels for each purpose, and here, there is a 3 shot "Tubbs" special that you could even conceal. By varrying the loads, you could put a lot of "bullets" in the air pretty darn quick. I can't think of anyone that would not have that tingling going on up and down their spine when looking at the muzzle of a shotgun. You can scope it and shoot slugs for all the larger game and use it on the skeet and trap ranges or sporting clays course for fun. It would be worked over by tactical guns and I would bring in extra parts. The version I would use would the remington 870.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

AJMD429 wrote:for DBW . . .

. . . heartwarming, isn't it... :? :twisted:
Yup. I'm a twisted nut.

I think when bad times I'll be going with my brace of .357s, my 92 and Ruger SP101.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gobbler - if it is a shotgun I am with you.

win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

A shotgun can do it all. If all I could have was one gun then certainly that would be my choice. regards win92
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Gobblerforge wrote:Dollar for dollar, in my mind, the most useful and broad ranged firearm would be a Remington 870 Express in 20ga. Can be shot by young and old with a minimum of training. It can be loaded with light loads for critters as small as squirrel and rabbit to higher power for goose and turkey to slugs for deer and such. Home defense, it is devastating. I guess the only place it lacks is concealability.
Gobbler
Make that a 12ga and I'm with you. Plenty of youngsters can handle a 12ga and so can the old folks (I'm one of them).
ED
Yer never too old
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Remington M870 12 ga. With an open choke tube and a somewhat tighter spare, what can't be done with that gun? Loads go from 7/8 oz through too much for me.
Easily maintained, reliable, and a natural pointer. I'd rather have the Wingmaster, but the Express does the job at an extremely low price.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

If you are talking about one gun for a rural property, that hasn't changed in 100 years, a 30-30. The brand and model is up to the person. I'm sure most have picked the Winchester 94 over the years.
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

win92 - at the special dispensation of the threadmaster you get to pick two - now what caliber of 92 are you taking?

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No doubt, a shotgun. For me, a southpaw Remmy 870 12 ga. with estra barrels. Not perfect for everything, but adaptable to just about every chore. Escept CCW, and then if it were legal, one could stick on a pistol grip, a barrel that runs to the end of the forearm, and sling it under one shoulder of your jacket (hey, they do it in the movies :mrgreen:, Tubbs did ).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My SingleSix with the Mag bbl.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If I HAD to choose between two guns, it would be a good revolver in 44mag or 45 colt. Probably a 5 or 6". You could load it hot or load it mild.

For the other, either a Remington 870, 12ga, with different barrels and stocks, so to go from home defense to large game with slugs. However, another choice would be something like a Valmet/Tikka 512 with barrel sets in 12ga, 12/308, 308/308, 9.3 x 74R, to cover all hunting activities from smaller game, thru Elk (or even larger with the 9.3 round).
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Small enough for rabbits, big enough for thugs, and entirely sufficient for most things in between and even a bit beyond...

I'm going with a .30-30 levergun in a Trapper configuration, your choice of sights to suit the application at hand.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This:

Ruger 44 Special.

Can do:

Home defense
Concealed carry
big game hunting
bear/lion protection
small game hunting
target shooting
snake protection (shot loads)

Now, I will be the first to admitt that a Rem 870 with several barrels would cover as much but it wouldn't be very good for concealed carry or any time you wanted a small packable firearm...

The 44 Special in this revolver can be loaded from mild to 1100 fps with 310 grain boolits which will end to end a large animal. The Ruger is very accurate and can accept a scope too if I were to want to add one.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I dont hunt anymore. (wife wont eat bambi). But when I did, the last two deer I shot years ago was with my 2nd go to, or back up guns. I belive in both cases my main rifle that didnt get used was my old .300 H&H winchester model 70. Without going into detail, I shot a buck with my 4" .357 colt trooper. In the other case it was the last few minutes of the deer season. My friend and I had already got in my truck and was driveing out. It was always my practice of carrying a backup gun, just in case. This time it was a 94 30-30 that I bought new as a teen ager. We were also carrying shotguns for grouse. We spotted some grouse running in brush off the road. Got the shotguns out and shot one or two. With that we kicked up some deer! It was snowing and raining at the same time. Miserable weather! I ran back to the truck and got my 30-30 that was easier to get to than my cased, scoped model 70, and ran back. The deer had ran high above us on a steep slope of the mountain. The buck was kind of quartered sideways looking at me standing. It was a super long shot. I remember takeing my glass`s off that had steamed up and also wipeing some snow and rain out of my eye. I shot and he dropped like he was poleaxed! At 1st I couldnt find him. Then I walked another 40 yards or so farther up the slope in the now heavy snow. I found him. The bullet went through his eye and out his fore head, or vice versa! We paced it and it was close to over 220 yards! I knew it was a long shot but didnt think it was that far!
The point to all this is that my long range scoped, heavy 300 H&H wasnt needed! Now, we arent liveing in 1780 kaintuck, where you wouldnt look out of place takeing your rifle to the store. We are liveing in a unfriendly gun restricted envirement where people would panic and call out the swat team.
Since OS now says I can have two guns, I belive one would be my .357 mag 3" S&W 66-3, and my old standby, my 50+ year old win 94.
I am more of a advocate of my .44 special handguns, but would still pick my .357 because it is easier to conceal. Then, as I am already, I would be looking for a 92 in .357 to replace my 94. I let a couple get away in the past, regrettably.
The thing is I like the idea of one type of ammo, .357 probley isnt the best, but its darn good for both handgun and rifle.
I do have a browning 92 in .44 mag, but carrying my S&W 5" 29-2 concealed isnt practable.
So, its a 3" S&W 66-3, and a browning 92 in ,357, or a slicked up Kiowa Jones worked over puma .357 for me!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

6" S&W 629 44 Mag. Can be downloaded for smaller game and defense, and hot rodded for big game. Could be concealed when needed and is accurate enough to put food on the table.

I almost went with a 12 ga 870, but I'd have some trouble going without a carry piece.
NRA Life Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Since OS said add a 2nd gun, I would add any .22 LR handgun to the Remington 870 or any other brand 12ga shotgun.
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

colt a2 m4. small enough to take small game. can conceal under a big coat. with a 30 shot clip you can kill an elephant. when it's down to one gun , all the rules go out the window. if you go with a pistol, glock 27 with 11, 13, and 29 shot clips. :twisted:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

1894c
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El Chi, that was Hobie's answer. I got the question from one of his blog topics. Wanted to see what everyone thought and how long until someone hit on his answer.

soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Questions like this make my brain hurt so I'm going to be unreasonable with my answer. Since I'm pretending to have only one firearm to try to do it all, I'm going to pretend that I just won the powerball lotto. Here goes: Kreighoff drilling 12 ga double with 9.3 x 74 rifle with KS barrel inserts for one of the 12 ga barrels in .22 mag and one in 9.3 x 74.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Single gun, for everything? All around? Well, by definition then, it's going to be a compromise on most things. If I could only have one, God-forbid, it would be my S&W Model 19. It's great for self-defense and can be used for hunting, plinking, target shooting, etc.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A 10mm autoloader would do pretty well too - like my Glock 20SF, or one of those nice Colt Delta Elites....

Here's my Glock (traditionalists, avert thy eyes! :lol: ):

Not as powerful as the 44 Special when hot loaded, but fully capable of taking big game and is much better for defensive use...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like soon 2 retire's answer. I always thought someone could make a double-barrel breakopen with chamber/barrel inserts that would allow a huge variety of choices. How COOL to have a 12 gauge beside a .45-70 on Monday, a 12 gauge beside a .32-20 on Tuesday, and a .308 beside a .22 LR on Wednesday.

No reason it couldn't be done, and with set-screws and o-rings, could be 'regulated' for reasonably precise shooting.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Questions like this make my brain hurt so I'm going to be unreasonable with my answer.
I kind of feel the same way. So here is my answer.

.22 RF Rifle

With that I can hunt with, play with, use as a defense weapon, and if TSHTF I can use it to acquire a battle rifle.
Ammo is still reasonably inexpensive, usually available everywhere, and you can transport far more RF ammo than you can CF ammo.
From a rifle, it's quiet. Even more so if you use standard velocity or sub sonic ammo.
And for DBW, if you use the proper shot placement it will meet your criteria as well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Joe, I cant argue with your choice or reasons! OS softened and gave us two choices, but my reasoning probley would have been similar to yours with just one choice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Softened - what ???? :shock: I expanded the possibilities :!: - what with guys shootin' deer in the eyes at 220 yds. You might have hung around Becker toooooo long. Maybe there is a cure for that ---- but, I doubt it. :D

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

As much as I like a good .22LR and centerfire lever guns I'm gonna have to go +100 (or whatever the count is now) and say 12ga. shotgun in whatever config you like best. Personally I like pumps.

Now if I wanted to be difficult I'd say make mine a Savage 24 in a 12ga/22LR configuration. It's not great for SD or HD but at the present time I figure those 2 items are about the bottom of my list when it comes to gun requirements.

I'm also toying with the idea of a Stoger Coach gun with an assortment of choke tubes for a full time truck gun. Short, light and capable of all impromptu hunting from squirrels to birds to coyotes. Not bad for SD either. I would rather just find a short barrel for my Win 1300 but that idea is becoming about fruitless. Just ain't any 22" barrels with choke tubes available. I could get one modified but by the time I do that I might as well put that money towards a new gun.

LK
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All depends on how you are thinking - I would be tempted to say my Rossi 45 Colt 92 with the Cowboytutt SuperLoads. 360 gr Keith at 1350 fps. That would probably do even for the 86er stuff. And with regular loads it is a ***** cat.

win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Old Savage wrote:win92 - at the special dispensation of the threadmaster you get to pick two - now what caliber of 92 are you taking?
Sorry the handle crept in there!!! 12 gauge on the shotgun the 92 could be anything you like,
Make mine the old 25-20 so i don't have to search out another!!!!!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am still sticking with my Marlin 336C in 30-30. I have used it to put a squirel or rabbit on the fire in camp and put more venison in the freezer than I can count. It would be my 2nd choice as a self defense carbine, first choice being a M4 carbine. I took it out today and shot it with iron sights at 100 yrds and kept 3 shots all in a 4" bullseye.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

One tool to do everything is a hard one. I'd pick a Freedom Arms Premier in 454 Casull with a six inch bbl. I could shoot 45 Colt, 454 and with a 45 ACP cylinder I could shoot those too. High end to almost cat sneeze, plus I could somewhat conceal it if push came to shove. I'm really glad I don't have to do that for real.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It would be a tough choice. Sometimes I think of it like if I lost everything in a disaster, and had to replace one thing at a time. Many guns I like, but wouldn't necesarily run out and get another if I lost them.

My inclination would be 22 rifle, and 44 spl or 45 Colt sixgun, or 94 carbine or scoped 1903 Springfield sporter (30-06) and 22 pistol.

Shotguns seem to be popular. I've just never been able to warm up to them. I've been able to do everything I've ever needed to with a rifle or sixgun, and have much more range.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Old savage actualy I missed my shot that day. I was hopeing to lob one in the larger chest cavity. I actualy was embarassed to see I missed by over a foot and half and shot the poor critter through the eye! He might have turned some before the bullet got there after I fired.